Acura MDX SUV Forums banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I know we have a lot of oil threads here, and my question is simple, but wanted to start a new thread to get answers as quickly as possible. If you check your oil, and the oil is dead in the middle of the cross-hatched section, how much oil would need to be added to bring it back to full? I did this and was surprised at the amount it took in my 12 MDX. Looking for answers from knowledgeable owners here to see if my car is an anomaly?

·
Registered
4 Posts
Also curious about this. I read somewhere else said it is about a quarter from the low to the top. Somebody confirm this? Also dealers usually over fill 5 quarters instead of 4.x?

·
Registered
2,475 Posts
I supply my own oil to Acura for M.I.D. services. They usually return my 5 quart jug of Mobil 1 5w-20 with about 1/2 quart still in it. I use the remaining 1/2 around +3500 miles down the road since I burn about 1 quart between M.I.D. services on my 11 MDX with +125,000 miles). I just make sure I never go below the bottom mark during my 8000-9000 oil change intervals.

I've notice I need to keep the MDX perfectly level for an accurate oil level read. It can look to be 1/2 - 3/4 low if I check my oil on my driveway with a gradual increasing decline compared to my level garage.

·
Registered
739 Posts
So, when YOU change your oil and put 4.5 quarts of oil in, the level on the dipstick is in the dead center of the hashmarked section of the dipstick?
With 4.5 qts, the oil level on the dipstick is at the top line, no more no less.

Sent from my LG-US996 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
With 4.5 qts, the oil level on the dipstick is at the top line, no more no less.

Which is where I believe it should be. AcuraAddicted seems to be saying it should be dead in the center of the dipstick when at capacity.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I supply my own oil to Acura for M.I.D. services. They usually return my 5 quart jug of Mobil 1 5w-20 with about 1/2 quart still in it. I use the remaining 1/2 around +3500 miles down the road since I burn about 1 quart between M.I.D. services on my 11 MDX with +125,000 miles). I just make sure I never go below the bottom mark during my 8000-9000 oil change intervals.

I've notice I need to keep the MDX perfectly level for an accurate oil level read. It can look to be 1/2 - 3/4 low if I check my oil on my driveway with a gradual increasing decline compared to my level garage.
And where is the oil on the dipstick right after the oil change with the 4.5 quarts? Where on the dipstick is the oil at 3500 miles before and after you add the extra half quart of oil?

·
Registered
1,658 Posts
I know we have a lot of oil threads here, and my question is simple, but wanted to start a new thread to get answers as quickly as possible. If you check your oil, and the oil is dead in the middle of the cross-hatched section, how much oil would need to be added to bring it back to full? I did this and was surprised at the amount it took in my 12 MDX. Looking for answers from knowledgeable owners here to see if my car is an anomaly?

I've never added oil between changes on my MDX but most vehicle dipsticks are calibrated to need 1 quart from the bottom (low) line. By that logic halfway would be 1/2 quart low but I don't know for sure. Just changed the oil on mine yesterday and 4.5 quarts puts it right at the top line on the stick. BTW, the manual says you don't need to add oil unless it's at or below the "low" mark.

·
Registered
739 Posts
I've never added oil between changes on my MDX but most vehicle dipsticks are calibrated to need 1 quart from the bottom (low) line. By that logic halfway would be 1/2 quart low but I don't know for sure. Just changed the oil on mine yesterday and 4.5 quarts puts it right at the top line on the stick. BTW, the manual says you don't need to add oil unless it's at or below the "low" mark.
Maybe I have very good hearing. At .5 qt low or more, I can detect valve lifters (whatever technical term) whistling at high speed, 60mph+.

·
Registered
2,475 Posts
And where is the oil on the dipstick right after the oil change with the 4.5 quarts? Where on the dipstick is the oil at 3500 miles before and after you add the extra half quart of oil?
After +5 years and +100,000 miles I don't check the oil anymore after service at the dealership. I'm not 100% sure if the oil level is mid way or topped off on the dip stick? I just check it at around the 40%-60% oil life range and have to put in around 1/2 -2/3 quart to get me there until the next M.I.D. service. My oil consumption has stayed consistent over the years. I'm pretty close (but not below) to the low mark when I take her in for the M.I.D. oil changes.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I appreciate all the replies to this thread. Some of the information is contradictory, but I got most of what I needed. I think my dealership (stealership) overfills, as the oil on the dipstick, in the level of my garage, right after an oil change, shows above the top mark on the stick ( over the R on the RCA). The oil was dead center of the hashmarked area when I added oil. I added exactly .5 quart. The oil was then (again) above the top mark on the stick ( over the R on the RCA). Appears to be using about .5 quarts in about 2600 miles.

·
Registered
1,658 Posts
Maybe I have very good hearing. At .5 qt low or more, I can detect valve lifters (whatever technical term) whistling at high speed, 60mph+.

There is no logical reason for noise to be caused from being slightly low unless your oil has been degraded beyond it's useful life. If the dipstick shows oil, then it's within an acceptable level and no damage/noise should occur. The engine internals will be lubricated at the same rate and pressure as long as oil is being picked up by the pump, which in most cases you'd have to be >2qts low before that would become an issue.

·
Registered
739 Posts
There is no logical reason for noise to be caused from being slightly low unless your oil has been degraded beyond it's useful life. If the dipstick shows oil, then it's within an acceptable level and no damage/noise should occur. The engine internals will be lubricated at the same rate and pressure as long as oil is being picked up by the pump, which in most cases you'd have to be >2qts low before that would become an issue.
Like I was saying, maybe my hearing is exceptional because I can hear it. It is usually about 1/2 qt low when I begin to hear it. There should be no music or talking, otherwise, you won't hear it. The MDX is not the exception, my previous Infiniti I heard it too when oil low.

·
Registered
1,658 Posts
Like I was saying, maybe my hearing is exceptional because I can hear it. It is usually about 1/2 qt low when I begin to hear it. There should be no music or talking, otherwise, you won't hear it. The MDX is not the exception, my previous Infiniti I heard it too when oil low.

Whether you can hear something or not does not change the fact that the sound should not be there at all. The only explanation would be if there are other underlying problems.

·
Registered
2 Posts
My Acura dealer told me the volume to fill from bottom to top of hash marked section is one quart. Oil pan is non linear so vehicle must be level to get accurate reading.

·
Registered
45 Posts
oil consumption not consistent

I have noticed oil consumption for last 25k miles since I started doing oil changes myself. It consumed about 2 quarts between oil changes in beginning. Now about 1 quart every 2000 miles. At 67K, I added 1 quart to get it to top mark.
At 69K, took it to dealer and they added 1q to bring it to top mark.( I had received Oil Consumption letter)

Now after about 800 miles, level is same, I have been checking in Garage. No other changes to vehicle or driving.

thanks,

1 - 19 of 19 Posts