Acura MDX SUV Forums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 2011mdx and it’s been using a lot of oil since ab 50,000miles. Didn’t take to the dealer until 68k and we had to do an oil consumption test. Finally came back it was using to much oil. They did a ring job and replaced oil pressure switch. Well ab one month after that oil light came on I took it back in and it was rear bank head gasket leaking . They fixed it. I just got my car back Friday afternoon and Saturday the oil light came on so I brought it in today and they said they’ll have to replace oil pressure switch because they put the wrong one in. Ok so I’m supposed to bring in tomorrow for that to be changed. Well I decided once I got home to look under the car because I have a feeling something isn’t right bc I smell oil burning. This is what I saw...

Attachments

·
Registered
793 Posts
Google search TSB 09 012, then scroll to the 3rd page, where you'll find an illustration.

You'll see where the rocker arm oil pressure switch is located. To the left of that switch are 2 circles, which represent bolts.
Dry that area off and the bottom of your oil pan (not just the plug, but the sides also).

Drive the mdx and see if there is any oil coming from the lower of the 2 bolts.

I had oil slowly coming down the side of my oil pan and I needed to tighten that lower bolt 1/16 of a turn.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
So I took the car in and they changed the pressure switch. They told me they were all done and I said did u see any oil and he said nope. So I pulled my phone out and showed him the pics of the leak. So guess what I get to leave my car again. Now mind u they have had my mdx for 3wks total. 1week for ring job for the j37a engine with the problems burning oil. then a month later they said the rear head gasket was leaking. So tomorrow will be the 3rd time I’ve had to leave it. I don’t think I’ll ever get my car fixed :(

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Google search TSB 09 012, then scroll to the 3rd page, where you'll find an illustration.

You'll see where the rocker arm oil pressure switch is located. To the left of that switch are 2 circles, which represent bolts.
Dry that area off and the bottom of your oil pan (not just the plug, but the sides also).

Drive the mdx and see if there is any oil coming from the lower of the 2 bolts.

I had oil slowly coming down the side of my oil pan and I needed to tighten that lower bolt 1/16 of a turn.

I dried it off and it did come back not just the drain but above it is ab 3 bolts I can see that have oil all around them. I take it back in tomorrow

·
Registered
7 Posts
I have a 2011mdx and it’s been using a lot of oil since ab 50,000miles. Didn’t take to the dealer until 68k and we had to do an oil consumption test. Finally came back it was using to much oil. They did a ring job and replaced oil pressure switch. Well ab one month after that oil light came on I took it back in and it was rear bank head gasket leaking . They fixed it. I just got my car back Friday afternoon and Saturday the oil light came on so I brought it in today and they said they’ll have to replace oil pressure switch because they put the wrong one in. Ok so I’m supposed to bring in tomorrow for that to be changed. Well I decided once I got home to look under the car because I have a feeling something isn’t right bc I smell oil burning. This is what I saw...

You paid for the ring job correct?

·
Registered
1,952 Posts
Called my stealership today to talk about the oil mine is burning and was told it’s normal.... to be clear there is no service bulletin or recall out on mdx’s correct? Mine is an 11’ with 122,xxx
Acura has released many memos about this to dealers.

It's "normal" from the perspective that lots of owners are having the problem. It is not "normal" from the perspective of desired/intended behavior. Currently Honda/Acura is blaming stuck piston rings.

http://techinfo.honda.com/rjanisis/pubs/TS/AH/BTS160705/enu/BTS160705.PDF

·
Registered
100 Posts
Seeing the oil I would think that it's coming from the oil pump. All that's used to seal the pump is Honda Bond (sealant) and once the seal breaks you have to do what's called an oil pump rehousing. It's not that difficult to do yourself (I did mine) just a little time consuming. A dealership will probably charge you between $750-$900 to do it.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.