Acura MDX SUV Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello,

I started my MDX 2007 during the freeze I felt something was wrong how car started. I checked underneath and saw oil leaking. I stopped the engine but saw all the oil on the driveway. It was empty when I checked with dipstick. So next morning I examined and saw lot of oil around the filter area. So i cleaned up everything and replaced the filter and put 4 quarts of oil. I waited for 15 mins to see if any oil is leaking. Now I start the vehicle then oil starts to leak dripping somewhere higher than oil filter. I am not sure where the oil is leaking from. I would like to further troubleshoot before taking the vehicle to the shop. Any feedback is appreciated.

·
Registered
421 Posts
Can you tell is the leak is between the transmission and the engine?

·
Registered
421 Posts
yes, that is the oil pan area. Above and behind the oil filter there is the oil pressure switch, valve timing oil sensor and solenoid. Everyone of those have an o-ring seal that could leak. Then, in front and right of the oil filter you have the main crankshaft seal. it could leak between 100K and 200K miles if it was not replaced at 100K. The oil pan itself can leak and valve cover seals if they were not replaced at 100K

·
Registered
53 Posts
Probably the Oil filter housing gasket is bad. I have seen the oil is gushing out when the Gasket is bad. Very easy to replace. Remove the oil filter housing as shown here with the arrow.

Here is a video on how to replace it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Probably the Oil filter housing gasket is bad. I have seen the oil is gushing out when the Gasket is bad. Very easy to replace. Remove the oil filter housing as shown here with the arrow.

Here is a video on how to replace it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Thank you. I replaced the gasket and it is fixed. Had to do a lot of cleaning work to remove the splattered oil all over. Had to remove two electric sensors before removing filter housing.

·
Registered
122 Posts
This could be my leak. I have a very slow leak that I can't tell where it is coming from. I have to check the drip again this weekend once and if the snow is gone this weekend. Not sure if I can tell the different between the engine and PS fluid.....What brand of gasket did you use? I may go with Felpro at $8.85 vs Acura at $52 - $80.03.

·
Registered
421 Posts
This could be my leak. I have a very slow leak that I can't tell where it is coming from. I have to check the drip again this weekend once and if the snow is gone this weekend. Not sure if I can tell the different between the engine and PS fluid.....What brand of gasket did you use? I may go with Felpro at $8.85 vs Acura at $52 - $80.03.
If you order the original gasket online, you could get it for $15.00 + SH

·
Registered
2 Posts
I have this exact same leak on my 2007 MDX. Before I remove the oil filter housing to replace the 15825-P8A-A01 gasket, is there a way to test the "Rocker Arm Oil Control Solenoid" (as it is called in the manual) that fits in the oil filter housing unit to determine if it is functioning correctly? I'd prefer to replace it at the same time if it's bad.

·
Registered
122 Posts
Replaced 2 gaskets and 2 o-rings yesterday. #12, #14, and #26. Total cost of $36.25 shipped. Idled and drove around. No leak so far. It looks like someone took the spool to clean but did not replace the gaskets.
Before

After
20210329_143353.jpg

·
Registered
122 Posts
After driven around several times, probably less than 100 miles, I see a few new drips at the drain plug and film of oil running down the pan. When I smell tested the oil drip, I couldn't tell whether it was oil or power steering fluid. The color of the drip looked like the oil color in the above picture. I smelled the PS and it had a distinctive smell to it and the color looks like the oil color in the above picture as well. It is so hard to tell but looks like the leak might be coming further in.....beyond the spool valve gap. It might be Gasket, Oil Hole 15115-P8A-A01 of the oil pump assembly. Replacing that looks like I would have to remove the crank shaft pulley, thus timing belt, oil pan removal. I'm not ready for that. Since I don't drive that much I'll keep watching it.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts