Acura MDX SUV Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I searched the knowledge base etc....for my oil problem and didn't find too much. Hoping you guys can help. Please understand I am not good with "car lingo" so bear with me....

My husband noticed a few drops of oil in the driveway each day and a light cover of oil, sort of splattering, around the underside of the chassis (not sure about that spelling) and we took it to Leith Acura in Fayetteville, NC (just moved). They felt it had something to do with the crusher washer you replace when you change the oil but it ended up we needed a new rear valve cover gasket. Anyone else experience this problem? The service man said he had never seen an MDX with an oil leak before, but he also hadn't ever seen an MDX with mileage as high as ours (28K). What do you all think? I'm hoping the fix resolved the problem but now I'm a little concerned.

Also, does anyone know how you can go in and change your signature line?

·
Registered
10,732 Posts
Did you go to Control Panel, then Edit Options?

A leaky valve cover gasket is not that rare.
Although I have not seen it reported here before on an MDX. But in the 'auto' world it's a natural occurrence.
Probably the valve cover was not torqued sufficiently, and over time plus engine heat began to expand and contract until the leak started.
I wouldn't worry about it. Just check every other day or say for a while, make sure the leak is stopped. Check your oil level and under the car.
So he considers your vehicle high mileage? When did you purchase it?

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
We purchased it in April of 2001. I assume the dealer here doesn't sell too many MDXs - it's not exactly a big city and I've seen very few here. I laughed when he said he never saw one with mileage like that - I figured that really meant he hadn't worked on too many :)

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Oh, and thanks for the advice - appreciate it!

·
Registered
351 Posts
Interesting criss-cross

Funny to hear how you moved from upstate NY to Fayetteville. I'm originally from Sanford, NC and now live near Corning, NY (by way of Atlanta first). My parents are still in Sanford and my mom has yet to see an MDX...even when she goes to Raleigh, Durham, or Ft. Bragg/Fayetteville :)

·
Registered
6,809 Posts
Morgan89 said:
I searched the knowledge base etc....for my oil problem and didn't find too much. Hoping you guys can help. Please understand I am not good with "car lingo" so bear with me....

My husband noticed a few drops of oil in the driveway each day and a light cover of oil, sort of splattering, around the underside of the chassis (not sure about that spelling) and we took it to Leith Acura in Fayetteville, NC (just moved). They felt it had something to do with the crusher washer you replace when you change the oil but it ended up we needed a new rear valve cover gasket. Anyone else experience this problem? The service man said he had never seen an MDX with an oil leak before, but he also hadn't ever seen an MDX with mileage as high as ours (28K). What do you all think? I'm hoping the fix resolved the problem but now I'm a little concerned.

Also, does anyone know how you can go in and change your signature line?
Check the TSB section, there is a TSB for the oil leak and I've seen them repairing this problem at my local dealer. Check the Technical Service Bullitin and your dealer will fix for free. It seems to be a hit and miss on who gets this leak, but nothing major just a gasket leak.

·
Registered
2,474 Posts
Re: Tires after 28K

Morgan89 said:
....MDX with mileage as high as ours (28K).

How are your tires holding up? If you still have the original tires how much of the tread is remaining?

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
The tires are doing great - we rotate them faithfully according to manual specs....they have some wear but aren't even close to replacement time.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
"Funny to hear how you moved from upstate NY to Fayetteville. I'm originally from Sanford, NC and now live near Corning, NY (by way of Atlanta first). My parents are still in Sanford and my mom has yet to see an MDX...even when she goes to Raleigh, Durham, or Ft. Bragg/Fayetteville "

That is funny! We go through Corning on our drive home from here. We used to live here (4 years ago). My hub is active duty Army so we get around! I can't take the cold up north anymore though. I haven't seen many MDXs either.....

·
Registered
1,769 Posts
Morgan89,

Do you happen to know the amount of tread remaining?

:8:

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I am not a "car person" but if you tell me how to measure tread I'll do that. I don't quite remember how they were when I got them. I know, I don't belong on here......you guys are all very car smart :)

·
Registered
2,474 Posts
Morgan89 said:
.... if you tell me how to measure tread I'll do that.
You would need a tread depth gauge to accurately measure the remaining tread on your tires. Local tire stores will check tread for free.

Just checked on the Michelin Cross Terrain tires that are on the Tourning MDX and they have 11/32nds of thread when new.

Tires are considered worn out at 2/32nds although I try to replace mine when they get close to 3/32nds.

·
Registered
1,769 Posts
Belonging & Tread

Morgan89,

(1) Yes you do belong here, own an MDX don't you??? In fact, you've got a heck of a lot more miles on yours than we do on ours .... so from a mileage point of view, you belong on here a lot more than we do!!

(2) Measuring tread is sorta easy. Auto parts stores sell a real inexpensive gizmo that does all the work. You simply reset it, then push it down on the tread, and then read it [sorta like a thermometer].

Enjoy

·
Registered
6 Posts
Seems like it may be a widespread problem. A couple weeks ago I was at a dealer to order a 2003 and wanted to see a certain color and they had one in the shop, we walked back there and they had the whole front cradel out (engine & Transaxle), talking to the tech he said that it had an oil leak that could not be traced and the boys from factory were comming out and sounded like a whole new engine. rk:eek:

·
Registered
6,809 Posts
skywagon said:
Seems like it may be a widespread problem. A couple weeks ago I was at a dealer to order a 2003 and wanted to see a certain color and they had one in the shop, we walked back there and they had the whole front cradel out (engine & Transaxle), talking to the tech he said that it had an oil leak that could not be traced and the boys from factory were comming out and sounded like a whole new engine. rk:eek:
There is a TSB on the oil leak with all 3.5 liter engines, including the RL,TL, and MDX. If they should change to the 3.8 liter engine I'm sure they will correct that TSB on an oil leak. I haven't experienced this problem yet on my 2002 MDX with 10,500 miles. I've seen them repairing the TSB, and they do have to drop the entire from end of the SUV to get at the area that has to be corrected. Still it's nothing major just a small oil leak that has to be corrected.

·
Registered
1,769 Posts
QUOTE]Still it's nothing major just a small oil leak that has to be corrected.[[/QUOTE]

NOT sure I agree AT ALL. Discussed with dealer service writer just this past weekend. Globbing epoxy on the outside doesn't thrill them either. Neither of us has a whole lot of faith in this "fix".

·
Registered
570 Posts
Say Morgan89, If you don't wanta buy some tire depth gauge, use this old trick. Take a penny, turn it upside down so Lincoln's head is going down into the tread of the tire, in a center tread. Looking across the tread, from the side view of the tire, see how much of Lincoln's head you can see. If you can see the top of his head, it's probably time to change tires. Soory about the oil leak. Not quite as easy of a fix! Good luck & yes ya do belong here. Your MDX family :4:

1 - 17 of 17 Posts