Acura MDX SUV Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hi everyone,

I just finished changing out several of the fluids in my 2006 MDX. I bought the car in 2015 and this is the second time I've had to go through and do all the fluids (VTM-4, transfer case, ATF, etc). We don't drive it much and it's currently at 152k miles (up from about 112k when we bought it). When I change the oil, I always use Mobil 1 full synthetic oil (5w 20), and typically a fram extra guard 20k filter. I noticed recently oil collecting around the plug and thought maybe I didn't do a good job torquing it down when I changed the oil, so I drained it into a clean pan, replaced the drain plug it with a new crush washer, then added the last unopened quart I had before topping it off with the oil that I drained into the clean pan. I did this a couple days ago on Saturday. Today I noticed that oil is collecting around the drain plug again so I took a closer look and this is what I found.
Wheel Tire Hood Automotive tire Automotive lighting

Tints and shades Artifact Breastplate Metal Glass

Fluid Gas Motor vehicle Auto part Metal

Tire Automotive tire Tread Synthetic rubber Gas

Automotive tire Automotive lighting Motor vehicle Auto part Automotive exterior

After a quick Google it appears likely the rear main seal is what is leaking, but I'm hoping some of you guys with more experience with this vehicle could confirm that suspicion.

Thanks in advance!

Attachments

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
@notmycar Thank you for the reply. Glad I don't need to worry about the rear main seal.

I did actually order some degreaser off Amazon that arrived today. I went to town on it and am fairly happy with the results:
Motor vehicle Automotive tire Gas Personal protective equipment Auto part

Automotive lighting Motor vehicle Automotive tire Hood Bumper

Car Hood Motor vehicle Vehicle Auto part

Automotive tire Hood Automotive lighting Motor vehicle Bumper

Hood Tire Automotive tire Automotive fuel system Automotive design

I also ordered some high milage fully synthetic oil (nothing with "leak stop" garbage) which I'll swap in on Thursday when it arrives. It didn't drop anything today while sitting in the driveway, so I suspect maybe the leak only happens or happens most aggressively when the car is running. I didn't see anything around the valve cover area so I'm wondering if it's under the timing cover. If so, that wouldn't make me too upset as I really need to do the timing belt again next summer (last did it in 2015).

Good luck with the PCV valve swap!

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I just changed the oil this past weekend, so I'm being a bit paranoid in tossing out the oil in favor of the high milage stuff, but I'll feel better after doing it. Tranny was just done this past weekend, along with transfer case & VTM-4. Pretty much the only fluid I haven't changed recently is the power steering fluid, which I plan to do soon.

Yeah, definitely a clean slate. I'm tempted to throw some UV dye into the new oil when I change it. Thoughts on that? I have some left over from when I filled the AC up (it has an extremely slow leak somewhere) but I need to Google it to ensure it would be compatable.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
It sure looks like one, but I don't think so (thankfully). I just went outside to check and got a pic of it after degreasing the line
Motor vehicle Automotive lighting Automotive tire Hood Musical instrument

I'm going to drive it to work & back tomorrow, then in the evening (or Saturday at the latest) swap the oil for the "high mileage" stuff. I will take a closer look around when I'm under there to see if I can spot any new leaking fluid, plus apply more degreaser / do some additional cleanup.

Also I should mention that I replaced the stock power steering and transmission coolers with upgraded ones when I installed the OEM towing hitch on the back. That was back in 2015.

I really appreciate all the suggestions!

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 · (Edited)
Revove the protective cover on the trans. Held on with 2 10mm bolts. Look up into the flywheel. When you pull the cover off, if it's covered in oil under it, the rear main is leaking. My guess is the oil your seeing is coming from the crank pulley seal.
Excellent suggestion! I didn't even know this protective cover existed. I found it today just as you described crawling around under the car. Here is what it looked like. I don't think the oil is leaking back there.

Automotive tire Motor vehicle Automotive wheel system Bumper Rim

Here are some other pictures from my endeavor this morning. It does feel like the oil leak is above the pan gasket and likely coming from either high up on the crank seal, or maybe something under the timing cover like the oil pump? (Replaced in 2015 when I did the timing belt). It does seem to run down around the right side of the crack pulley, pool a bit on the oil pan bolt that has an arrow pointing to it (yellow markup) then fan out along the bottom of the oil pan before pooling again at the plug crush washer where it finally drips. I really appreciate all the help and suggestions you guys have offered. What a great community!
Automotive tire Motor vehicle Automotive lighting Bumper Vehicle

Tire Wheel Motor vehicle Automotive tire Tread

Automotive tire Automotive exhaust Motor vehicle Automotive fuel system Gas

Automotive tire Motor vehicle Bumper Automotive exterior Rim

Automotive tire Sleeve Helmet Headgear Hat

Sleeve Collar Personal protective equipment Sportswear Denim

I do just have to say, the technology these days is so freaking neat. To get the shot looking above the oil pan and filter to that unidentified (to me) bolt/plug that appears to be leaking (red markup), it took one hand to hold the light, one hand to hold the phone and tap the focus on that bolt, but to take the picture I said "Okay Google, take a picture" 😂😁

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
No. Power steering fluid has remained perfectly level. I think my plan of attack will be to keep an eye on things until I do the timing belt, where I'll have things more apart and I can have a closer look at everything.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts