Acura MDX SUV Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I removed my EGR valve while cleaning my (very dirty) intake, and found a pool of black engine oil in the rectangular port. I tried to soak it up with paper towels, but it's not a small amount, and almost seemed like it was "refilling". Where would this be coming from? I'm guessing it's not normal, but I can't find a schematic of the EGR system to figure it out. The EGR pipe was very sludgy, not solid carbon like the photos and videos I've seen, so I think the oil is getting passed through the valve.

Coincidentally, I've been having an oil consumption problem since May where I have to add 1 L of oil every 1000 kms. On top of the P0401, I also get some misfire readings from cylinders 5 and 6, and my SHAWD light comes on once in a while. I'm hoping there's one root cause for all of these symptoms. Oh, and how do I know which cylinder is which? There are a few different posts I've seen with conflicting information. When I was checking my spark plugs from the misfire codes, the center plug facing the radiator had engine oil on the coilpack. And all three front plugs were grey in color, not black like I would have expected.

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
OK, the problem has gotten worse now, and it is burning oil much faster, about 1L per 400 kms. Also the front right plug (closest to the driver's headlight) was black and oily when I pulled it out (the electrode, not the boot). The EGR error has not come back, so I assume the EGR valve is fine. All I'm getting now is misfire codes, mostly from that cylinder, but also sometimes "random". When the engine is running, there is no suction from the oil cap when I remove it, in fact there's positive pressure. I replaced the PCV valve thinking that was the problem because my original was not rattling and was caked in sludge, but it didn't help. I'm suspecting a leaky intake valve in that cylinder, which is exasperated by the fact that that's where the oil fill is. But until someone can tell me how to do a compression test and how to find TDC for a leakdown test, I have no way to check. Am I on the right track?

·
Registered
798 Posts
Run a borescope and inspect cylinder wall for any scoring through the spark plug hole.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts