Acura MDX SUV Forums banner

1 - 20 of 101 Posts

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I purchased an oil filter from Tim for my MDX 2002, also purchased oil filter from Honda dealer for my Accord 1996 and the filter is exactly the same for both cars, which is fine but I just want to confirm if anyone knows that they really uses the same filter. Thanks.

·
Registered
3,761 Posts
yup - the Honda filter fits a bunch of the models.

·
Registered
818 Posts
Solid said:
I purchased an oil filter from Tim for my MDX 2002, also purchased oil filter from Honda dealer for my Accord 1996 and the filter is exactly the same for both cars, which is fine but I just want to confirm if anyone knows that they really uses the same filter. Thanks.
Yep the filters that I get from Tim fits my MDX, my wifes 3.2 TL, and my son's 1996 Civic EX:4: :4: :4:

·
Registered
202 Posts
RE:Oil filter

Anybody know who makes the filters for Acura/Honda?
Tom

·
Registered
166 Posts
I believe I saw a thread on this somewhere (maybe on s2ki.com:p ), but I thought others had stated they were similar or identical to Frams...

·
Registered
1,023 Posts
Anybody know who makes the filters for Acura/Honda?
On the filter I just bought for my '03, it says "MANUFACTURED BY FRAM" right on the filter. BTW, the filter is completely different for the '03 compared to the '01-'02. Part #15400-PLM-A01 or A02.

·
Registered
202 Posts
Excellent!Catzx6

Hi Catzx6:Thanks for the headsup on the filter manufacture.I can get those thru one of the WDs that I call on.
Tom:4:

·
Registered
340 Posts
Honda = Fram???

I have been doing some research on filters for Honda's (my wife's Accord) and was surprised and disaapointed to find out that Honda Canada filters were made by Fram. I found this info at http://www.ntpog.org/reviews/filters/filters.shtml . I knew that the quality of Fram filters was very poor and could not believe that Honda would use them. I decided to see for myself and cut open 11 different filters. This is what the Honda Canada filter looks like inside. (Fram on the left) Good design features are:
1. Silicone rubber anti-drain back valve for good low temperature sealing
2. high quality "O Ring" type gasket seal
Poor features are:
1. paper end caps on filter element
2. Plastic relief valve that does not seal completely
3. Relief valve "seals" against the paper end cap and allows bypass flow
4. The Anti drain back valve also "seals" against the paper end cap.

My conclusion - I'm not using Honda Canada's filter!!!!

Attachments

·
Registered
340 Posts
More Honda filter photos

This is the filter base and sealing ring

Attachments

·
Registered
340 Posts
More photos

This shows the orange anti-drain back valve.

Attachments

·
Registered
968 Posts
I wonder what a better filter than the Honda one? ;)

·
Registered
340 Posts
More photos

This is the plastic relief valve

Attachments

·
Registered
340 Posts
Honda USA Filter

This is the filter that was installed by the factory on my wife's 2003 Accord (made in Ohio) 'm not sure if it is the same as what you buy over the counter in USA or not. Appears to have a very large filtration area. The relief valve has a metal to metal seal and may allow some minor bypass flow. It is completely different than the Honda Canada filter.

When I get my new MDX, I will remove the filter and cut it open as well to see if the originally installed filter is the same as the over-the-couter one in Canada.

48 pleats in filter cartridge. Pleat depth is 0.500”

Cartridge height 2.430”

Attachments

·
Registered
340 Posts
Honda USA Filter

This is the relief valve assembly

Attachments

·
Registered
340 Posts
Honda USA Filter

Another shot of the relief valve

Attachments

·
Registered
340 Posts
Honda USA Filter

This is a view inside the filter element.

Many holes in inner metal support for good flow.

Attachments

·
Registered
340 Posts
Fram PH6811

As you can see - this filter is very similar to the Honda Canada filter.

Attachments

·
Registered
340 Posts
Fram PH6811

Cardboard end caps on filter element and plastic relief valve assembly. The relief valve assembly "seals" against the cardboard end cap. This poor seal will allow dirty oil to bypass.

Attachments

·
Registered
340 Posts
Fram PH6811

This view is with the relief valve disassembled. The plastic poppet has small moulding flashings that prevent a positive seal and thus will allow some bypass flow of dirty oil.

Attachments

·
Registered
340 Posts
Fram PH6811

This shows the oil inlet flow holes and the orange silicone anti drain back valve.

Attachments

1 - 20 of 101 Posts