Acura MDX SUV Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1,028 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Is it absolutely necessary to replace the drain plug washer when changing oil on an MDX?

The washer is supposed to compress to help prevent oil leaks. I have been doing oil changes myself on all my cars for the past 20+ years, and have been reusing the same washer with no leaks or any other problems.

Is there something special about Acura washer that makes it different from that on any other car, or can I continue my practice of retaining the same drain plug washer when changing oil?

·
Registered
818 Posts
I have changed my oil twice and both times I have replaced the washer. If you buy your filters from Tim you will get an OEM filter and a washer included with each filter. Tim sells them six at a time and the filter fits both my MDX and my wifes 3.2 TL.

·
Registered
1,321 Posts
Between you, me and the wall...

the old one is probably fine.

The object is to not leak oil, so if, in fact, it doesn't leak, you're fine. I doubt it would leak getting reused. It is not very soft, so it doesn't deform greatly. I don't see the torque/stress on the threads being affected by the old washer.

However, done correctly, it should be replaced. Says so in the service manual (along with the two VTM4 washers)

Ard

1 - 3 of 3 Posts