Acura MDX SUV Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
691 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am scheduled to bring in the car for oil consumption extended warranty repair on June 23rd.

But now the oil consumption stopped! On March 15th I brought my car in to repair oil pump leaks. At the same time, I opted to do valves adjustment since the car is at 120K miles. Exactly 3 months later, the oil is still at the top hash mark. There is no oil lost. Normally, I would have used 2 quarts to top off in 3 months. I also noticed the oil is not pitched black as before. It seems like exhaust valves are out of specs and dump soots into the oil. This makes the oil black and lost its effectiveness?

So is valves adjustment the solution to oil consumption issue?

Sent from my LG-US996 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
3,267 Posts
As much as I would love to say yes... Its very unlikely you had very bad valve mesh at only 120K.
Also exhaust valves tighten with time not get looser, Thats the intake valves.

I think something else has been done to slow the oil burning, Perhaps a new PCV Valve? or they cleaned your old one?

·
Registered
691 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
My pcv valve is pretty much new, I replaced 9 months prior, this my 2nd replacing it so I don't it is related to pcv. I only asked them to fix oil pump leaks and valve adjustment. I don't think they did anything else without my knowledge and do it for free. You know how dealer operates.

Sent from my SM-N976V using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,971 Posts
You probably drove less due to pandemic. If you drove less and esp. if you drove short distances, you probably have junk in the oil. Try to drive it for 4 hours on highway. It is possible you will be suddenly losing a bunch of oil.

·
Registered
691 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
You probably drove less due to pandemic. If you drove less and esp. if you drove short distances, you probably have junk in the oil. Try to drive it for 4 hours on highway. It is possible you will be suddenly losing a bunch of oil.
My wife has been driving this car for two years now. Driving habit is the same. She is an essential worker at the hospital, never taken a personal day since pandemic. Sometimes she works 7 days a week.

I have been using the 06ody instead. Haha.

·
Registered
3,267 Posts
In any case its not fixed.. The oil burning issue relies on the piston rings being faulty and that wont get fixed without a major overhaul.

·
Registered
691 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
This is a strange scenario as this car has been losing oil since 60K miles and oil becomes pitch black in short order. Now it is completely opposite, no oil lost and oil is amber color. I wish I can see out how long this scenario play out, but I have to bring it next week.

·
Registered
734 Posts
valves adjustment and oil pump leaks have nothing to do with oil color or consumption.. Sorry. CLOGGED rings is the issue.

·
Registered
691 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Not disputing that. What I witnessing is surprising me. It cannot just a flip of a switch like that.

·
Registered
691 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
This answers it. So apparently the dealer replaced the pistons and rings when I brought the car in March. I did not read the work order details because I thought I was in for oil pump seal and valve adjustment work. They confirmed; and I confirmed it in work order receipt. That was some crazy fast work, about a day and half.

·
Registered
1,231 Posts
This answers it. So apparently the dealer replaced the pistons and rings when I brought the car in March.
LOL. Sorry, no disrespect here, just made me laugh out-loud.

That was some crazy fast work, about a day and half.
Professional mechanics work extremely fast. Check out this guy who went through this work in just several hours (it's mind blowing, really, just mesmerizing to watch):

·
Registered
3,267 Posts
Well that explains everything! kudos for it being fixed.

·
Registered
294 Posts
This answers it. So apparently the dealer replaced the pistons and rings when I brought the car in March. I did not read the work order details because I thought I was in for oil pump seal and valve adjustment work. They confirmed; and I confirmed it in work order receipt. That was some crazy fast work, about a day and half.

How much does that cost? changing Pistons and rings?

·
Registered
691 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
How much does that cost? changing Pistons and rings?
The dealer did not list the repair cost for the piatons and rings. All they listed were 'warranty' in the amount column.

·
Registered
9 Posts
The dealer did not list the repair cost for the piatons and rings. All they listed were 'warranty' in the amount column.

You know, ive had the car 9 yrs. They wouldnt do the warranty work. I would consider paying for the pistons and rings to be done if it meant another 9 yrs of use. Wonder how much that is? 8k? 2k? i have no idea. anyone?

·
Registered
691 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
You know, ive had the car 9 yrs. They wouldnt do the warranty work. I would consider paying for the pistons and rings to be done if it meant another 9 yrs of use. Wonder how much that is? 8k? 2k? i have no idea. anyone?
I believe dealer labor rate is $125/hr, I think. Assuming 16 hours require for the job, $125 × 16 = $2000 plus parts so it could be $3000-4000?

·
Registered
7 Posts
Attached is an itemized listing of labor and parts for the excess oil consumption repair that I found on Acura's Response to Excessive Oil Consumption - AcuraZine - Acura Enthusiast Community.

Labor cost will vary by dealer, but $125 to $150 per hour are good planning figures. Parts prices can be obtained from the dealer or online sites like "The Official Acura Site. Purchase Acura Genuine Accessories and Parts directly from your local dealer on the Acura eStore"). If you're due for timing belt change, then you should definitely include replacement of timing belt, water pump, drive belts, and oil pump seal while they have the engine open.

I had the excess oil repair done under warranty, but paid $1480 out of pocket for the timing belt, water pump, drive belts and oil pump seal (4 hours labor at $145/hour = $580, plus parts at $850, plus tax at $50.) I considered the dealer markup a bit high for the work done in addition to the warranty repair, but had little option.

Attachments

1 - 18 of 18 Posts