Acura MDX SUV Forums banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have 2010 mdx. It has 110 k miles. Runs great but uses oil. It uses more oil in warmer months than in colder more months. I can go close to 2000 miles in cold weather. And maybe 800 in warmer weather. Could it be an intake manifold issue. Gaskets maybe? Has any one ever heard of this type of issue. The inconsistency in useage is weird

·
Registered
3,338 Posts
Could you elaborate how much are you using to top off? for example (1 quart per 1000miles or so).

The 2010, 2011, 2012, 2013 models had a change in the J37 engine, for some reason Acura/Honda decided to change the Cylinder Linings for another alloy and that created an issue in some cars that will make them wear the piston rings faster and thus Burn Oil... If you are topping off 1 quart per 1000 miles you will need to go to an Acura dealership to apply a warranty which will make them change your entire block or fix the piston rings (Depends on wear noticed on the cylinder linings).

If you are topping off with way less than that then we can assume is another issue, My TL-S liked to burn oil if the EGR Solenoid was bad and so forth.

·
Registered
131 Posts
I would first check the pcv system. After that it's either ring/cylinder seal or valve seals. Some of the 2010+ Mdx's seem to have an issue with oil consumption. According to the bulletins by Acura, the piston rings are the likely cause.

http://www.mdxers.org/forums/attachments/second-generation-mdx-2007-2013/86705d1478202545-acura-admit-j37-oil-consumption-problem-j37_oil_consumptionv3.pdf

If correct, there are ways you can decarbon the piston/rings without pulling the engine apart. Also certainty oil additives can reduce oil consumption, a different oils burn faster than others in some applications.

Bottom line is you have some options, but it's possible the only real permenant fix is an overhaul.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
The Milage between a adding a quart of oil is inconsistent. I would think if the rings were bad oil usage would be the same. In this case it isn't. Why??? I'm thinking a bad gasket somewhere.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
131 Posts
Oil usage can be load based. Maybe you are driving it differently??? Not sure exactly. I remember my 5.0 mustang would leak from the rear main seal November to April, but not a drop in the summer.

If you had a leak, you should see it somewhere. Unless it was burning on the hot exhaust.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Oil usage can be load based. Maybe you are driving it differently??? Not sure exactly. I remember my 5.0 mustang would leak from the rear main seal November to April, but not a drop in the summer.

If you had a leak, you should see it somewhere. Unless it was burning on the hot exhaust.

No evidence of a leak. The engine makes a pinging sound I believe that is the burning of oil. When it makes that noise. The oil usage is more. That's what leads me to thing a bad gasket. Is that possible?

·
Registered
131 Posts
Sounds like the combustion chambers are carboned up. Does it ping under load? And that is when it seems to use more oil?

·
Registered
3,338 Posts
Oil Usage doesn´t need to be consistent with the J37 Cylinder Lining problem.
Remember that the engine will evaporate oil under high load or high performance acceleration, Its almost impossible to recreate your driving behavior exactly the same each month.

Take to an Acura Dealership and tell them about the high usage Oil, Your model fits the TSB Profile so they will test it for Cylinder Lining scoring and damage. They will remove each spark plug and check the cylinder bores with a Endoscope Camera, this will tell you with absolute certainty if you got a bad block.

·
Registered
131 Posts
How current is the tsb from Acura that sites block/liner issues? The document I referenced above is dated 11/2016 and specifically states block replacement is not necessary.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Sounds like the combustion chambers are carboned up. Does it ping under load? And that is when it seems to use more oil?

It doesn't ping under load. It does under light acceleration. And uses more oil during these periods. Only during warmer temperatures.

·
Registered
131 Posts
I am relatively new to the J37 oil consumption issue. But from what I have read from Acura, they seem to feel the issue is with the rings. As mentioned in the tech update for 2010, they switched to a new two piece oil ring design. If the rings become carbon fouled, they will not seal effectively. Extra carbon in the combustion chamber can contribute to this. This would explain why some are affected and others not. Carbon buildup could be caused by many things, but in my personal experience it comes from the engine being loped and never driven hard.

The light pinging under load is likely caused by excess carbon creating hot spots in the combustion chamber. So yes, your two issues could be linked.

Pulling the spark plugs and using a cheap bore scope to inspect the cylinder walls and the top of the piston would be a good idea. If the pistons are heavily carboned and preventing good ring seal, there are options to decarbon the combustion chamber without pulling the engine apart. However some of these products have risks and you may need to repeat a few times to get the desired result. I my self have used Seafoam on many used vehicles with excellent results. Here is some info on the veracity of sea foam. Notice where the pistons were de-carboned? Right above the ring land which is what will help the seal.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Hi. Very intersting to read your posts about oil consumption with the 3,7L in the MDX. The issue from Acura is revelator. Also, the video about Seafoam is maybe an interesting solution, without figthing withe Acura dealership.
In my case, I have an 2012 MDX that I bougth new. My MDX has 125 000km (or 77 000miles) and I takes oil from 1 year, exactly at the end of the garanty: 100 000km (or 60000miles). We love our MDX and we don't want to fight with the dealership, but we want to fix the problem. The oil consumption is 1 liter every 4000km (or 2500miles). There is not external leak, no smoke, no pinging and plugs look good. I decided to switch to syntectic oil and no changment.
Previously, you wrote that carbon deposit may causes by the engine never works hard. In my case, every summer, we tow a travel trailer (4000lbs) around 5000km (or 3100miles). So, I'm sure the engine works hard an off.
Suggestion?
Do you think dealership will consider my problem over the delay of the garanty?
Thanks!
Antoine (english is not my first langage, scuse my poor english)

·
Registered
2 Posts
Interesting forum and shared information especially from Apex1. I have a 2011 MDX with 110k miles where I do a lot of highway driving. Always serviced religiously, oil changed regularly and ahead of schedule. Several weeks ago the Check Engine Oil message would flash when going around sharp turns, thought it might be the sensor which I previously had a problem with some 2 years ago. Took it into dealer appears the oil was extremely low but they could find no external leaks. Did a series of tests and came back with the carbon build up problem on the pistons, rings etc. Quoted $6,500 to fix. Got second opinion from another Acura dealer - same diagnosis similar cost. Car is in great shape but trying to get my head around this cost. Was looking to see if there were other options. Warranty expired.
I am sure the dealer will laugh at me if I suggest an idea such as SeaFoam but I will ask.

·
Registered
1,952 Posts
I have a 2011 MDX with 110k miles
You mention car is in "great shape". Does it drive well? Engine feels strong?

If so, then fill it up with the proper oil, and keep driving/enjoying it.

The J37 engine in your 2011 MDX is known to burn oil. It is imperative that you check your oil level often and keep it topped up. However, if you do that, and don't run it low, then it should run fine and last you a long time.

As a side note, at 110k you're due for a timing belt replacement, if you haven't already done it...

·
Registered
2 Posts
Thank you for the response. Drives great, power is good. I had asked the technician that same question (eg could I just keep changing oil regularly and looking after) and he said something along the lines of yes but he would not recommend it. Will have the timing belt checked - thanks again.

·
Registered
7 Posts
SEARCH IN THE CURRENT
AND SHOW ME
Load Previous
Artbuc1
Join: Jun 2016
Mentions: 1

Jul 18, 2018 · #11
Baaj said:
Original Post
Ahahaha, your blaming him for Honda design a faulty engine? Man listen to yourself, we as consumers gotta stand for each other to make sure manufactures don’t screw us over.

Buyer beware. Whatever happened to the idea of personal accountability? We have become a society of victims always depending on the government or someone to protect us from our own laziness. Just look at the inane safety warnings on everything we buy.
zdxforever
Join: Jul 2018

Jul 18, 2018 · #12
Artbuc1 said:
Original Post
Buyer beware. Whatever happened to the idea of personal accountability? We have become a society of victims always depending on the government or someone to protect us from our own laziness. Just look at the inane safety warnings on everything we buy.

I agree I think America should have known that Trump was the biggest Troll, voters beware.
Markcq
Join: May 2018

less than 5 seconds ago · #13
Ok just bought a 2010 mdx, found out the car was burning 1quart/1000km. Called Acura and got no where...... but I found a solution. Let me explain, I recently went on a road trip and did an oil changed right before I left. I traveled about 350km and I was traveling around 150-160km/h. When I got to my destination I check my oil and found that I was a quart low........%[email protected]& me!!!! So I decided to look online for some help. Got to some threads that told me to put a quart of ATF (automatic transmission fluid)due to the high detergent content in atf they said it would help to get my piston rings unstuck. Driving back the same way I came and on the same route but going at around 180km/h @ 3000rpm (you dont have to go this fast, I was following a pack of speed demons). Got back home to find my dipstick still full!!!! I'm over the moon right now and super happy about this!!!!! Not saying it'll work for you but give it a shot and lmk. Forgot to mention you dont want the atf in the engine for any longer then 350km, I'm getting my oil changed tomorrow. Brief summary when your mdx is a quart low buy any atf fluid and put it in, beat the piss out of your car for about 100km-350km and change the oil. I hope this helps!!

·
Registered
1 Posts
2011 MDX 116,000 miles

Went to dealer last week in regard to oil consumption. They are going to put new pistons, seals, valves, timing belt on.
Acura is picking up the bill about $7,000. I am paying for a new water pump and serpentine belt. I am driving it now for 1,000 miles to see how much oil it will burn. That is how they decide. They are aware of the problem!

I also received a Oil Consumption Letter last week from Acura.

Offer expires 09/01/2019

·
Registered
2 Posts
MDX Excessive Engine Oil Consumption Problem

I have 2013 MDX which consumes about 3 quarts every 7500 miles. I was told by the dealer this week that as published by Acura it is normal to consume up to 1 quart every 1000 miles. These cars have excessive oil consumption problem and the manufacturer and dealers are doing everything to avoid addressing the issue and shifts the burden on the owners. The resale value of these cars will suffer if this is not addressed by the manufacturer asap.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts