Acura MDX SUV Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I just picked up a 2013 Elite with 120K KM. On the report it states there are two extended warranties.

1) Oil Consumption Warranty extended to 200K KM
2) ADS Suspension Warranty extended to 160K KM

On cars out of warranty like this one I tend to do my own oil changes. Or go to my mechanic.

If I do this and oil consumption becomes a problem. Will Acura void my extended warranty? Or do I have to go to the dealer for all maintenance until the warranty is over or if needed.

Thanks guys.

·
Registered
2,474 Posts
You just have to do all scheduled maintenance. That can be at home, local shop, or Acura/Honda dealership. Acura would only void a warranty if neglect was the cause of the warranty issue like not checking the oil enough and that damaged or seized up the engine.

I would take your MDX in to Acura to double-check the ADS magnetic struts/shocks and do the oil consumption test to see where you are at. Looks like you are at the very end of the warranty period for both. It can cost $700-$1100 per corner to replace the ADS struts/shocks out of warranty. It could be +$5000 for the oil consumption repair if you are out of warranty.

·
Registered
71 Posts
From my understanding the oil consumption fix (which includes the test, diagnosis, approval, and repair) must all be completed by 9/1/2019. This is the experience I just researched after purchasing a super nice 2012 MDX. I called the local Acura dealership and Honda USA to confirm this.

edit: Hopefully I didn't misunderstand your question.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
From my understanding the oil consumption fix (which includes the test, diagnosis, approval, and repair) must all be completed by 9/1/2019. This is the experience I just researched after purchasing a super nice 2012 MDX. I called the local Acura dealership and Honda USA to confirm this.

For Canada it was issued in 2016 and its under warranty until 200K KM or 6 years. Which ever comes first.

·
Registered
169 Posts

My dealership completed the diagnosis and approval for repair last month. I am scheduled to have the work done in February 2020. They simply can't handle the volume to have hundreds of vehicles repaired before 9/1.

·
Registered
2011 Acura MDX Advance
78 Posts
A friend of mine got the consumption test done and his car failed the test. When the dealer submitted the claim to Acura for approval, Acura demanded he show them maintenance records. He does all his own maintenance and he didn't have anything to show them and they denied his claim. He's currently fighting with them. So, word to the wise, keep all receipts of oil/filters you buy if you do your own maintenance.

·
Registered
2011 Acura MDX Advance
78 Posts

The September 1 deadline only applies if your vehicle is outside of the 8 years/125,000 mile warranty. And, even then, it might only apply to US vehicles. Not sure about Canada.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Spoke to my mechanic. He says as long as you have the receipt of every oil change they shouldn't have a leg to stand on.

·
Registered
9 Posts
I’m starting the oil consumption test today. They’re giing to change the oil. Seal it up and I have to bring it back for 2 more oil changes. On the third time they will see what the average leakage per 1000 miles. They said the minimum is 1qt per 1000 miles. Also, since I started the process before September 1st, I’m covered. My mdx is out of warranty. Also only charging me 55 for oil change w/ coupon.

·
Registered
11 Posts
FYI all,

My dealer has just informed me (8/20) that do to the shear volume of oil consumption failures Acura has changed their failure requirements from 1qt per 1K to 1qt per 3K. so now my repair is on hold awaiting Acura to make a decision on how to proceed and there may be many more claims effected.

My 2012 failed at a rate of 1qt per 1400 miles, so do to Acura’s new specs they may not fix the issue even though it was documented before they changed their specs.

Hope this brings awareness to what’s going on.

·
Registered
61 Posts
FYI all,

My dealer has just informed me (8/20) that do to the shear volume of oil consumption failures Acura has changed their failure requirements from 1qt per 1K to 1qt per 3K. so now my repair is on hold awaiting Acura to make a decision on how to proceed and there may be many more claims effected.

My 2012 failed at a rate of 1qt per 1400 miles, so do to Acura’s new specs they may not fix the issue even though it was documented before they changed their specs.

Hope this brings awareness to what’s going on.
Can you please clarify the above - it's not making sense to me. If the standard allows more miles to burn a quart of oil, that is loosening the standard, not tightening it. So if you were burning a quart at 1400 miles you weren't meeting the supposed original spec and if they moved it to 3000 you now qualify for the repair. ???

·
Registered
2011 Acura MDX Advance
78 Posts
I'm scheduled to bring my MDX in on Monday, 8/26. There better not be any hold-ups, because I've been waiting almost 3 months. Acura approved my repair at the beginning of June! My dealer has a huge backlog of vehicles to get through.

If I have to wait even longer I'm gonna be pissed. I feel like I have a ticking time bomb under the hood.

·
Registered
11 Posts
I agree the new standard does not make sense, but my dealer said he’d get back to me between August 27-29 with an update and I’ll get the facts clarified. There’s a chance I miss-quoted. What I can say for sure is Aura (according to my dealer) has put hold on my repair.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts