Acura MDX SUV Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey everyone,
I got the oil consumption letter, and brought in my 2010 X. After I got home, I started checking my oil once weekly. After about 700 miles, I noticed the dipstick getting lower and lower. When I got to about 900 miles, the dipstick was about 1/4th of the way when you need to add a quart. So I’m thinking I’m a shoe in for getting my car fixed.
I brought my X in and expected them to say they’ll take my car. The Acura guy says that I was completely full(!!????). Lies!!! Okay I didn’t want to make a scene but I’m sure I saw it lose oil. If u bring urs in for testing, I would have them check it in front of you. I will be bringing mine back when it loses oil.

·
Registered
885 Posts
I have not seen the letter, but 1/4 quart at 900 miles doesn't strike me as a concerning amount. Would it be nicer if it didn't use any (my '07 is 5K since last oil change and no lower than when I did the change) sure, but I don't know of any manufacturer that wouldn't tell you it's not enough to be an issue. That's rate of 1 qt per 3,600 miles and pretty much all manufacturers draw the line at somewhere around 1 qt or more per 1,000 miles.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I haven't received this letter either, but yesterday I got an engine oil low message immediately after A1 service minder on my 2009 MDX with 69000 miles. Scheduled A1 service with the local dealer, told service advisor about low oil warning but he said it is related to A1. Never seen this message in the past. Checked oil level (without pressing the dipstick all the way, hope that is the right way to check), cold it was touching the bottom line, hot half way thru. I also read the warranty extension expires on September 1, 2019. Not sure how to deal with the situation.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I received the letter a few months ago. The way it works is you will have to bring your car into the dealership when it is time for an oil change. You let your service advisor know that you want to have the oil consumption test performed. They will mark the dip stick after the oil change and you will need to return to the dealership once you have driven 1000 miles. The service tech will check your oil level at that time. I had the test performed, but didn't have time to go back to the dealership once I reached 1000 miles driven. Hope this helps.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Hey everyone,
I got the oil consumption letter, and brought in my 2010 X. After I got home, I started checking my oil once weekly. After about 700 miles, I noticed the dipstick getting lower and lower. When I got to about 900 miles, the dipstick was about 1/4th of the way when you need to add a quart. So I’m thinking I’m a shoe in for getting my car fixed.
I brought my X in and expected them to say they’ll take my car. The Acura guy says that I was completely full(!!????). Lies!!! Okay I didn’t want to make a scene but I’m sure I saw it lose oil. If u bring urs in for testing, I would have them check it in front of you. I will be bringing mine back when it loses oil.
Had my 2012 done several weeks ago 105K. I also had them replace timing belt, water pump, spark plugs, alternator pulley and other minor things $1300 parts $75 labor, I thought the parts cost was steep although has more noticeable power and 2 MPG increase

·
Registered
2 Posts
Just a followup. Had A1 service done on Saturday? No issues found. Service Adviser said my 2009 MDX is not covered under excessive oil consumption warranty extension, also told most claims had other oil leaks, not related to bad oil ring. I guess I will keep an eye on the oil level.

I am not a big fan of reminder based oil changes, prefer time/mileage bound oil changes.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts