1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello Everyone,

Background:
2011 MDX w/ Tech
104598 miles, always serviced by either a Honda or Acura dealers.
Location, Southern California

Tale #1
I took my MDX to my local Acura dealer for a consumption test since like everyone else I received a letter too. They took the car and within 30 mins told me I had a leaking oil pump and therefore until that's fixed with a new replacement ($1600) they can't do the test.
I went home and looked and could not find the oil leak, so I took it to another dealer in the next town over.....

Tale #2.
The second dealer said found no leak and said I can start the test, whoo whoo. They told me to drive the car for 500 miles and bring it back, within 300 miles I had a message on my screen stating that the oil level was low and if the oil light comes on and stays on I should have the car towed to a dealer.The message was recorded in the cars messages system.
After 500 miles of driving I took it back to the dealer and they came back saying that the oil level was fine and I don't have a problem. I pointed out that there was a message recorded in the system alerting me of a low oil condition and when I went to show him it was deleted and my paperwork said no error messages found.

Anybody have had a similar issue and what did you do about it?

I believe that Acura has told dealers to fake the test so that they don't have to pay out any money for the repairs.

·
Registered
187 Posts
Hello Everyone,

Background:
2011 MDX w/ Tech

Tale #1
I took my MDX to my local Acura dealer for a consumption test since like everyone else I received a letter too. They took the car and within 30 mins told me I had a leaking oil pump and therefore until that's fixed with a new replacement ($1600) they can't do the test.
I went home and looked and could not find the oil leak, so I took it to another dealer in the next town over.....

Tale #2.
The second dealer said found no leak and said I can start the test, whoo whoo. They told me to drive the car for 500 miles and bring it back, within 300 miles I had a message on my screen stating that the oil level was low and if the oil light comes on and stays on I should have the car towed to a dealer.The message was recorded in the cars messages system.
After 500 miles of driving I took it back to the dealer and they came back saying that the oil level was fine and I don't have a problem. I pointed out that there was a message recorded in the system alerting me of a low oil condition and when I went to show him it was deleted and my paperwork said no error messages found.

I believe that Acura has told dealers to fake the test so that they don't have to pay out any money for the repairs.
Acura dealers gets reimbursed by Acura so I think if anything they would want you to fail the test. I would honestly jus call Acura loyalty department n say I want to take it to a different dealership to preform tests. Take it to the original dealership and say the oil pump is fixed and there isn’t any leak as stated by the other dealership.
Hope I made sense

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,651 Posts
They told me to drive the car for 500 miles and bring it back, within 300 miles I had a message on my screen stating that the oil level was low and if the oil light comes on and stays on I should have the car towed to a dealer.The message was recorded in the cars messages system.
After 500 miles of driving I took it back to the dealer and they came back saying that the oil level was fine and I don't have a problem. I pointed out that there was a message recorded in the system alerting me of a low oil condition and when I went to show him it was deleted and my paperwork said no error messages found
Did you check the oil level when the light came on to confirm it was actually low? Have you historically been using 2+ quarts in 300 miles? How do you know the message was "recorded in the system"?

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Did you check the oil level when the light came on to confirm it was actually low? Have you historically been using 2+ quarts in 300 miles? How do you know the message was "recorded in the system"?
No i could not check the oil level since the dealer had tamper proofed the dip stick for the oil consumption test.
I saw the message pop up on my screen while i was driving the car.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Hello Everyone,

Background:
2011 MDX w/ Tech

Tale #1

Tale #2.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Hi,Guys:
My 2013 MDX has the same problem just like yours,one oil change can sustain only 2700 milies until the oil alert appears,Initially i am happy to get the letter from Acura to solve the oil over-consumption problem,after browsed the experience you guys posted,Now i gave up the hope the dealer would test and resolve the problem,i put serveral gallons of oil in my garage ,and supplement about 2 quarter while the oil alert flashs,So far it goes well ,i will go to change the oil until the milage reach 4000 miles.
I think burning oil is not a big problem unless the engine has no oil to lubricate.Only downside my be more oil cost.

·
Registered
1,651 Posts
No i could not check the oil level since the dealer had tamper proofed the dip stick for the oil consumption test.
I saw the message pop up on my screen while i was driving the car.
How much was it typically using in 1,000 miles? The low oil light will not save a "message" in the system. That is only if the check engine light is triggered.

·
Registered
1,651 Posts
Hi,Guys:
My 2013 MDX has the same problem just like yours,one oil change can sustain only 2700 milies until the oil alert appears,Initially i am happy to get the letter from Acura to solve the oil over-consumption problem,after browsed the experience you guys posted,Now i gave up the hope the dealer would test and resolve the problem,i put serveral gallons of oil in my garage ,and supplement about 2 quarter while the oil alert flashs,So far it goes well ,i will go to change the oil until the milage reach 4000 miles.
I think burning oil is not a big problem unless the engine has no oil to lubricate.Only downside my be more oil cost.
So are you saying you didn't even contact the dealer about the problem?

·
Registered
4 Posts
I contacted the dealer,the guy asked me to change the oil in the dealership first ,then after 500 miles 1000miles to gauge the consumption of oil,and analyse other possible causes,after i saw the reviews on the bbs,I don't think it will come to a satisfactory result ,and i don't want endless disputes with the dealer ,I give up the thought for a free replacement of oil parts.

·
Registered
1,651 Posts
I contacted the dealer,the guy asked me to change the oil in the dealership first ,then after 500 miles 1000miles to gauge the consumption of oil,and analyse other possible causes,after i saw the reviews on the bbs,I don't think it will come to a satisfactory result ,and i don't want endless disputes with the dealer ,I give up the thought for a free replacement of oil parts.
Well if your MDX is actually using excessive oil that seems a bit rash. I've been on the car forums since Al Gore invented the www and it's a place people come to complain. You have to take what you see here with a grain of salt. There are clearly cases of folks getting new engine internals replaced under this warranty. There are also tons of people throwing fits when their cars aren't using excessive oil.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts