Acura MDX SUV Forums banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
100 Posts
Looks like a third. If you're down 2qts in 1k miles you qualify for the recall work.

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Looks like a third. If you're down 2qts in 1k miles you qualify for the recall work.
Thanks. Even if I am down over 2qts in 1k miles I am not qualified because my RMS has minor oil leak which I don’t think is a major responsibility of my oil consumption.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
100 Posts
Thanks. Even if I am down over 2qts in 1k miles I am not qualified because my RMS has minor oil leak which I don’t think is a major responsibility of my oil consumption.

That sucks...

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Does your engine pings like mine? If you like in a city do a stop and go for 1/2 hour and in between turn the engine on/off 5-8 times. See if you hear any engine pings.

·
Registered
409 Posts
I dont do too much of stop & go driving an definitely not doing 5/8 on offs during whatever driving we do in current situation.

Haven't noticed any pings but then again I am rarely looking for them, will check whenever I do some stop and go driving

But yes I do observe the oil consumption to be high with city driving than with Highway driving.

·
Registered
1,312 Posts
F in the chat for condolences?

Reactions: AcuraAddicted

·
Registered
100 Posts
Probably something to do with Fluorine :) I think we can disregard that post....

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
If you haven't already consider changing your PCV Valve and check for results.
Replaced the PCV about 2 years ago and I don’t think it will get that bad so soon.
I will remove it and clean with a brake cleaner.

·
Premium Member
2010 MDX Advance Mayan Bronze Metallic, Umber Brown Int
63 Posts
There's a small orifice on my PCV Valve that could've been clogged easily and I don't know if there are others in the system. It might be worthwhile to measure crankcase pressure to determine if there's a potential problem.
Meaning if there is a blocked circuit the crankcase pressure wouldn't have any way out and would be higher than normal. Your throttle plate would be very clean instead of the normal black blowby buildup. Abnormal oil leaks and obviously higher oil consumption. The oil would also get dark quicker than you would think.
I'm a retired mechanic and don't believe in ghosts, there is always something tangible that creates a problem. I have 281K on my 2010 MDX with no problems with oil consumption so I have no way to troubleshoot it. Wished I could help more.
I have heard of some that get the pistons changed and the problem came back. This means the symptom was corrected but not the primary issue. I read this online and it seems everyone online has a PHD so I don't know for sure.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts