Acura MDX SUV Forums banner

Oil consumption letter from Acura..

1M views 450 replies 97 participants last post by  voiddweller 
#1 ·
2011 here, got the letter in yesterday’s mail. Y’all watch for it...8 years 125k Miles, with ALL vehicles affected covered until Sept 2019...

Just said to get in touch with dealer to have it checked out, no parameters that I saw on oil consumption rates..

#2 ·
2011 here, got the letter in yesterday’s mail. Y’all watch for it...8 years 125k Miles, with ALL vehicles affected covered until Sept 2019...

Just said to get in touch with dealer to have it checked out, no parameters that I saw on oil consumption rates..

Can you take a photo of the letter? Did you see the recall letter on your Acura owner website?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

#5 ·
Interesting note in the first paragraph of the bulletin: Warranty claims submitted within 6 months of the client notification will be covered regardless of mileage or vehicle age.

That could really be a big deal for some folks with higher mileage. I'm over 125k miles and not having oil consumption issues but it will be unfortunate if it happens down the road and out of warranty.

So they're blaming it on clogged control rings...which makes me ask the question...did my running synthetic oil from the start keep me from having this problem? The MID on mine calls for oil changes around 8k miles which is no problem for synthetic (and my UOA proves this) however it could be a problem for conventional oil. At least enough of an issue that it could cause carbon build up in high temperature areas of the engine...such as the control rings.

#7 ·
Seems to me that you could submit a claim, even if denied at this time, that may cover you for future oil consumption...someone above my pay grade is going to have to break down that wording.

#9 ·
Got the letter today. However, I may have solved the problem with using redline fuel system cleaner on every fill up (not full dosage, divide the bottle into 4). I'm sure I am going to fail the oil consumption test if they go by 1qt/1000mi.

Using redline fuel system cleaner, all of sudden I could go 2000mi without a drop of oil usage.

Sent from my LG-US996 using Tapatalk

#12 ·
Interesting. We've had our mdx from new, we only do 6k miles per year.
At 55k it started to burn oil. Had an oil change done 2 months ago, and had to top up twice already. Seems to burn 1qt every 500-750 miles. All of a sudden.
Got the letter today also, might try the RedLine and see what happens. Id rather use redline and add a little oil if thats the only problem that pops up than have them rip the engine apart and find out that doesnt even fix the issue. Other than adding oil recently, have had 0 major problems.

So its 1/4 of the bottle per fill up?

#17 ·
How does the dealer replace the pistons/rimgs? Do they remove them from underneath without removing the engine or the valve top block? Who is knowledgeable what are involved in order to replace these pistons/rings? I am hesitant to have this fix if there will be a major engine dismantling. There is no guarantee it will be no other issues related putting back together. Issues like oil leak, water pump leak just to name a few. There are a whole slew of issue could happen. And when this happens quest what. You will have to pay to get it fix and your running around without car. It will be a major hassle and headaches.

#25 ·
Got my letter and scheduled the test because mine consumes a quart at least once every 1500 mi. The dealer did tell me that 1 qt per 1000 is “Normal” so I will have to pay closer attention. Also, the oil consumption test involves 2 oil changes that the dealer must do and it sounds like it must show excessive consumption after both times.

Either way, I want the consumption documented for the future. I’m about to hit 106K on my 2011.

Does anyone know if a particular driving pattern causes more or less consumption? Stop and go vs highway. “Spirited” driving versus being light on the pedal?

I do feel like my consumption varies and is higher after the initial 1000k miles on a fresh oil change.

#34 ·
I got my Oil consumption letter this week. I'm already close to 125,000 miles. I usually use about 1 quart of Mobil 1 5w-20 per 9000 mile M.I.D. oil changes. Wouldn't be worth taking in at that consumption rate.

#46 ·
its weird how different everyone is. 146k miles on my 2010, and its been taken care of- no rust, very clean, very few scratches even. But it burns through a quart every 1k miles or so. I have to really watch it. Runs great though.

did you always use premium gas? The letter says carbon buildup in the rings is what causes wall damage and lets oil by... not sure if i believe that, or if its true, what causes the carbon buildup (odd shaped rings that have pockets for carbon to hide? Or are the alumisil walls too soft?

#35 ·
I’m in a similar boat, my MDX is technically outside the mileage limit of the warranty. The car takes an additional 3 quarts of oil per 6,500 miles. Dealer wants $140 to do the consumption test. For $140 dollars I can buy a lot of oil to add. Further, assuming I qualify for the repairs, they will only warranty the work for 1 year or 12k miles. Right now my engine is working like a top, I don’t know if it’s worth it to go through with the fix at all. I don’t think any Acura dealer does a lot of engine rebuilds and I wouldn’t want to be their test subject.

#36 ·

The warranty extension states that claims submitted within 6 months of the client notification will be covered regardless of mileage or vehicle age. What dealer is charging for the oil consumption test? Mine didn't charge for it and they eventually did the rebuild.

In any event, sounds like yours isn't burning enough to qualify.

#38 ·
For the dealer to acknowledge the test.....My dealer requires for you to pay for two oil changes ($65.00 each), of which would then be monitored to determine if you are burning oil. Sound like a good way to collect $130.00 per auto. As far as I know I am not burning oil. I can't understand why any auto would be burning oil if you got regular oil changes. The more I read about Acura MDX's having all these issues make me think this is my last one. I have been with Toyotas for the past 19 or so years......never heard of such. Oil burning.....trannys.....torque converters.....steering issues.....motor mounts.....wrapped rotors.....battery issues.....bluetooth problems.....you name it. I had faith in Acuras....but the more I read.....I'm done with them. Without an Extended Warrantee, I would have never been able to survived. Too damn expensive.....just to drive. Going back to Toyotas, where is cheap and safe.

#39 ·
I had nothing but Toyota and Lexus vehicles since 1974 with one exception - a 2010 X cuz my wife liked it more than her old Lexus RX. My almost 20 yo Avalon does not burn a drop and neither did my Tercel, Cressida, 4Runner, RX300 or LS400. My experiment with Honda is one and done!

#41 ·
Oil Consumption letter

I also received this letter this week in regard to my 2010 MDX.

However, last month I sold my MDX. Why? Because this oil consumption issue eventually caused an engine cylinder to fail. I was forced with a decision to repair/rebuild the engine, or sell my MDX and move on. I chose the latter. And now I get this letter in the mail?! This could've solved my problem had I received it a few months ago, and I'd still have my MDX (which was 6 months from being paid off).

I'm extremely frustrated and called Acura and opened up a case number. They need to make this right.

#43 ·
I also received this letter this week in regard to my 2010 MDX.

However, last month I sold my MDX. Why? Because this oil consumption issue eventually caused an engine cylinder to fail. I was forced with a decision to repair/rebuild the engine, or sell my MDX and move on. I chose the latter. And now I get this letter in the mail?! This could've solved my problem had I received it a few months ago, and I'd still have my MDX (which was 6 months from being paid off).

I'm extremely frustrated and called Acura and opened up a case number. They need to make this right.

Well that's just luck. I had a couple friends buy VW's that eventually hit the recall, and they got $8k checks in the mail. Why didn't I get one? Because I decided not to buy a VW

#42 ·
WWOOOO!!!!!!!!!!! My 146k 2010 burns a quart every 1k miles!

I got the letter today! ****ING THRILLED! If they actually replace my engine block I will be an Acura owner for life. No question! Oh wait, they need to recall the transmission programming. Make it scream! lol whatever, I am so excited this is happening!

#52 ·
I got the letter couple of days ago. Original owner of 2011 with 118k miles. Started burning oil pretty good the last 20k miles. It’s my wife’s car and she got the oil so low the car went in to limp mode.
When I refilled it it took over 2 quarts.

I am 100% positive Ours would qualify, just not sure if I should do it, because it runs perfect otherwise

#55 ·
Hmmm...maybe I wasn't clear.

Acura built an inferior product that had oil consumption issues. These issues eventually led to my engine failing despite my frequent oil changes every 4-5k miles and very low miles overall (95k on a 2010). I had a choice to either repair and replace my engine for thousands of dollars, or salvage what I could and sell the vehicle. Me getting this letter when the car is/was 9 years old really is of no use to me. The damage had been done. I have a very hard time believing that this issue just presented itself in the last few months. Where was this letter in 2015, 2016, 2017? Why did the Acura dealer who I bought the vehicle from, CPO, not communicate that this was a wide spread problem and should be diagnosed?

To back Acura on this is a bit confusing.

#57 ·
Hmmm...maybe I wasn't clear.

Acura built an inferior product that had oil consumption issues. These issues eventually led to my engine failing despite my frequent oil changes every 4-5k miles and very low miles overall (95k on a 2010). I had a choice to either repair and replace my engine for thousands of dollars, or salvage what I could and sell the vehicle. Me getting this letter when the car is/was 9 years old really is of no use to me. The damage had been done. I have a very hard time believing that this issue just presented itself in the last few months. Where was this letter in 2015, 2016, 2017? Why did the Acura dealer who I bought the vehicle from, CPO, not communicate that this was a wide spread problem and should be diagnosed?

To back Acura on this is a bit confusing.
Acura dealers are independent shops, Acura does not have any stake in it besides giving them incentives to sell Acura vehicles exclusively. They are there to sell cars, not to tell buyers problems. Buyers need to do due diligence when buy anything.

The oil consumption issue was not known in 2014 when I bought my 2011 model year. I researched this before buying. In 2015, small number of forum users complaint but were immediately dismissed.

You have already sold your mdx, contractual obligation between you and Acura ends if there is such thing. Unless you paid to have this very issue fixed out of your pocket, then Acura will reimburse your expense even if you sold your Acura. Otherwise, you can complaint, don't buy any more Honda products, but you cannot demand them or any company for that matter to pay you when you don't own it anymore.

Sent from my LG-US996 using Tapatalk

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.