Acura MDX SUV Forums banner

41 - 60 of 391 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Oil Consumption letter

I also received this letter this week in regard to my 2010 MDX.

However, last month I sold my MDX. Why? Because this oil consumption issue eventually caused an engine cylinder to fail. I was forced with a decision to repair/rebuild the engine, or sell my MDX and move on. I chose the latter. And now I get this letter in the mail?! This could've solved my problem had I received it a few months ago, and I'd still have my MDX (which was 6 months from being paid off).

I'm extremely frustrated and called Acura and opened up a case number. They need to make this right.

·
Registered
112 Posts
WWOOOO!!!!!!!!!!! My 146k 2010 burns a quart every 1k miles!

I got the letter today! ****ING THRILLED! If they actually replace my engine block I will be an Acura owner for life. No question! Oh wait, they need to recall the transmission programming. Make it scream! lol whatever, I am so excited this is happening!

·
Registered
112 Posts

However, last month I sold my MDX. Why? Because this oil consumption issue eventually caused an engine cylinder to fail. I was forced with a decision to repair/rebuild the engine, or sell my MDX and move on. I chose the latter. And now I get this letter in the mail?! This could've solved my problem had I received it a few months ago, and I'd still have my MDX (which was 6 months from being paid off).

I'm extremely frustrated and called Acura and opened up a case number. They need to make this right.

Well that's just luck. I had a couple friends buy VW's that eventually hit the recall, and they got $8k checks in the mail. Why didn't I get one? Because I decided not to buy a VW

·
Registered
112 Posts
I got letter today, I am at 68k on 2011 MDX, but my consumption is about 3 quarts between oil changes now. So it won't fall under excessive consumption. However it will get worse over years.

Take it in anyway. It's up to your dealer to decide if it should be fixed, and they would not have opened this up to literally EVERY car regardless of miles if they weren't prepared to do the fixes.

·
Registered
112 Posts
I’m in a similar boat, my MDX is technically outside the mileage limit of the warranty. The car takes an additional 3 quarts of oil per 6,500 miles. Dealer wants $140 to do the consumption test. For $140 dollars I can buy a lot of oil to add. Further, assuming I qualify for the repairs, they will only warranty the work for 1 year or 12k miles. Right now my engine is working like a top, I don’t know if it’s worth it to go through with the fix at all. I don’t think any Acura dealer does a lot of engine rebuilds and I wouldn’t want to be their test subject.

I would imagine they crate in the block and the dealer just bolts on the accessories like alternator, starter and whatnot. No dealership has honing/machining capabilities that are required to refurbish engine blocks.

·
Registered
112 Posts
I got my Oil consumption letter this week. I'm already close to 125,000 miles. I usually use about 1 quart of Mobil 1 5w-20 per 9000 mile M.I.D. oil changes. Wouldn't be worth taking in at that consumption rate.

its weird how different everyone is. 146k miles on my 2010, and its been taken care of- no rust, very clean, very few scratches even. But it burns through a quart every 1k miles or so. I have to really watch it. Runs great though.

did you always use premium gas? The letter says carbon buildup in the rings is what causes wall damage and lets oil by... not sure if i believe that, or if its true, what causes the carbon buildup (odd shaped rings that have pockets for carbon to hide? Or are the alumisil walls too soft?

·
Registered
727 Posts

I hope I understood this correctly. Your MDX is consuming oil. You decided you did not want to deal with the issue. You sold your MDX. Acura sent out letter to have this particular issue fix. You demand Acura to make this right? Hmmm!?!

Sent from my LG-US996 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
727 Posts
its weird how different everyone is. 146k miles on my 2010, and its been taken care of- no rust, very clean, very few scratches even. But it burns through a quart every 1k miles or so. I have to really watch it. Runs great though.

did you always use premium gas? The letter says carbon buildup in the rings is what causes wall damage and lets oil by... not sure if i believe that, or if its true, what causes the carbon buildup (odd shaped rings that have pockets for carbon to hide? Or are the alumisil walls too soft?
For 2010-2013, Acura made minor design change that causes the pistons hotter. To combat the heat, Acura decided it is good idea to spray oil to underneath the pistons to cool them down. I believe this is the root cause. Oh well just my idiot opinion.

·
Registered
112 Posts
For 2010-2013, Acura made minor design change that causes the pistons hotter. To combat the heat, Acura decided it is good idea to spray oil to underneath the pistons to cool them down. I believe this is the root cause. Oh well just my idiot opinion.

That wouldn't explain how the oil gets past the rings. They claim carbon buildup, so to me it must mean something in the design traps bits of carbon until it crusts up enough to start digging into the sidewall.

Sent from my LG-H850 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2,367 Posts

I purchased my 11 MDX used in 2014 with 30,000 miles. I changed to Mobil 1 5w-20 and use Sam's or Costco 91 Octane 95%-99% of the time. Don't know if my 20,000 miles per year of hwy speeds of 70-85 mph makes a difference or not. My oil consumption rate of 1 quart per 8000-9000 miles hasn't changed since purchase +5 years ago.

Reactions: trader007

·
Registered
112 Posts
I purchased my 11 MDX used in 2014 with 30,000 miles. I changed to Mobil 1 5w-20 and use Sam's or Costco 91 Octane 95%-99% of the time. Don't know if my 20,000 miles per year of hwy speeds of 70-85 mph makes a difference or not. My oil consumption rate of 1 quart per 8000-9000 miles hasn't changed since purchase +5 years ago.
I bet the highway miles matter most. I am mostly city driving. And the way the tranny is programmed the engine is bogged down a lot.

·
Registered
6 Posts
I got the letter couple of days ago. Original owner of 2011 with 118k miles. Started burning oil pretty good the last 20k miles. It’s my wife’s car and she got the oil so low the car went in to limp mode.
When I refilled it it took over 2 quarts.

I am 100% positive Ours would qualify, just not sure if I should do it, because it runs perfect otherwise

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
87 Posts
I also got such letter. But its of no value. My 2011 MDX Advance was purchased Dec 1 2010 and is now near 9 Years old. Too little Too late.
But get this I only have 55K miles and have never added oil. It gets changed when the meter minder says so at every 8K miles.

·
Registered
112 Posts
I also got such letter. But its of no value. My 2011 MDX Advance was purchased Dec 1 2010 and is now near 9 Years old. Too little Too late.
But get this I only have 55K miles and have never added oil. It gets changed when the meter minder says so at every 8K miles.
The letter says for the next 6 months they are honoring all cars despite age or mileage

·
Registered
2 Posts
Hmmm...maybe I wasn't clear.

Acura built an inferior product that had oil consumption issues. These issues eventually led to my engine failing despite my frequent oil changes every 4-5k miles and very low miles overall (95k on a 2010). I had a choice to either repair and replace my engine for thousands of dollars, or salvage what I could and sell the vehicle. Me getting this letter when the car is/was 9 years old really is of no use to me. The damage had been done. I have a very hard time believing that this issue just presented itself in the last few months. Where was this letter in 2015, 2016, 2017? Why did the Acura dealer who I bought the vehicle from, CPO, not communicate that this was a wide spread problem and should be diagnosed?

To back Acura on this is a bit confusing.

·
Registered
727 Posts
Hmmm...maybe I wasn't clear.

Acura built an inferior product that had oil consumption issues. These issues eventually led to my engine failing despite my frequent oil changes every 4-5k miles and very low miles overall (95k on a 2010). I had a choice to either repair and replace my engine for thousands of dollars, or salvage what I could and sell the vehicle. Me getting this letter when the car is/was 9 years old really is of no use to me. The damage had been done. I have a very hard time believing that this issue just presented itself in the last few months. Where was this letter in 2015, 2016, 2017? Why did the Acura dealer who I bought the vehicle from, CPO, not communicate that this was a wide spread problem and should be diagnosed?

To back Acura on this is a bit confusing.
Acura dealers are independent shops, Acura does not have any stake in it besides giving them incentives to sell Acura vehicles exclusively. They are there to sell cars, not to tell buyers problems. Buyers need to do due diligence when buy anything.

The oil consumption issue was not known in 2014 when I bought my 2011 model year. I researched this before buying. In 2015, small number of forum users complaint but were immediately dismissed.

You have already sold your mdx, contractual obligation between you and Acura ends if there is such thing. Unless you paid to have this very issue fixed out of your pocket, then Acura will reimburse your expense even if you sold your Acura. Otherwise, you can complaint, don't buy any more Honda products, but you cannot demand them or any company for that matter to pay you when you don't own it anymore.

·
Registered
695 Posts
Discussion Starter #58
so 2007-2009 generation isnt affected? I haven't seen any oil consumption on my 2008 MDX.
No, engine was changed starting in 2010.

·
Registered
2,610 Posts
I see this Advisory recall as an opportunity for dealer to make extra money like an associated issue not part of the recall. Whatever the case the dealer always on top of their game

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

41 - 60 of 391 Posts