Acura MDX SUV Forums banner
441 - 451 of 451 Posts

·
Banned
2,894 Posts
Our 2012 MDX has been consuming oil at the rates noted here for a couple years now. Dealer wouldn't even perform the OCT because they claimed there was an oil pan leak. There wasn't, and still isn't. This is my wife's care and I've opted to simply add oil.
I've been following a number of oil consumption threads here and can't recall where I saw a recent comment likening the carbon buildup to that of your BBQ grill. This got me thinking:

Would a "track day" or something similar where you could really push the motor be beneficial to helping clear out some of the carbon?

For example, a fresh oil change is completed and sufficient oil is confirmed in the motor and the car is ran at high revs for X period of time.
Could that work on it's own with 93 octane gas and no additives?
Would de-carboning additives help in this case?

I presume an oil change would be needed shortly thereafter assuming a "track day" or weekend type of event. But, what if the car was simply driven hard under normal road conditions? I'm curious if this would have a positive impact on the slowing the oil consumption.

In my case, this is my wife's car and she doesn't drive it hard at all. She does lots of short, in town driving and I'm sure all of these factors help contribute to carbon buildup.

I'm curious to hear if anyone has input on the potential of this working or if there are members here who drive their MDX hard and don't experience oil consumption.

Cheers-
Elbow grease is the only solution to remove this hard and crusty embedded carbon buildup. Think of your outdoor grill. All of these solvent cleaner is for soft and fluffy carbon buildup. You could getting rid this hard and crusty embedded carbon by burning them off like you would with your outdoor BBQ grill.

Not sure why they haven’t come up with stick free carbon buildup resistance surface for the valve and piston crown.

You can do this with your wife’s MDX. Drive the car for 1/2 hour and then get on a traffic free freeway and floor the gas pedal to around 5000-6000 rpm quickly and briefly and then release your foot. Do it 2 times and if you feel comfortable with it and your engine is running fine repeat once a week. You may experience engine stumbling due to lose carbon debris getting stuck somewhere but overtime they should lose free.

Here is an example of carbon debris dislodged and got stuck in the EGR valve when I did this to my TL.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1 Posts
Interesting note in the first paragraph of the bulletin: Warranty claims submitted within 6 months of the client notification will be covered regardless of mileage or vehicle age.

That could really be a big deal for some folks with higher mileage. I'm over 125k miles and not having oil consumption issues but it will be unfortunate if it happens down the road and out of warranty.

So they're blaming it on clogged control rings...which makes me ask the question...did my running synthetic oil from the start keep me from having this problem? The MID on mine calls for oil changes around 8k miles which is no problem for synthetic (and my UOA proves this) however it could be a problem for conventional oil. At least enough of an issue that it could cause carbon build up in high temperature areas of the engine...such as the control rings.
I have a 2011 (88K miles) that is consuming oil and tearing up the engine, which was verified by Acura in there oil consumption test this week. Problem is they say warranty ended in 2019. I never received a notice from Acura. If you have a copy of the bulletin please send or post.
[email protected]

Thanks

·
Registered
9 Posts
I have a 2011 (88K miles) that is consuming oil and tearing up the engine, which was verified by Acura in there oil consumption test this week. Problem is they say warranty ended in 2019. I never received a notice from Acura. If you have a copy of the bulletin please send or post.
[email protected]

Thanks
I think this was it (I borrowed the snip from a diff part of this site)

·
Registered
18 Posts
I got a 2011 MDX up here in Canada with presently 120,000kms (75k miles) on it. I bought it used off lease (45kms, 27k miles) some lady drove it be before me. I first noticed my oil consumption at the end of the summer when I would do my before winter oil change as very little oil was draining out. After keeping an eye out for the next few oil changes (i do them myself) I noticed she sucks back the oil during the summer while I'm pulling my 3000lb boat around to the tune of around 2-2.5 quarts after 5500miles. The rest of the year its stays around 1 quart plus for 5500-6000miles. So going by what read here I am in good shape compared to others.
I will say this. I do hammer the gas at least once a week briefly and hear that exhilarating sound of the V-Tech kicking in. I I also smell the burnt oil out of the exhaust as well, lol
That's a whole nother issue on this forum that I am aware of and fixed some time ago but its getting back in..lol
It might be that I hammer the engine on a weekly basis that this carbon build up doesn't get to occur.
Not sure but figured I'd share my story

·
Registered
1 Posts
[email protected]

Thanks
In the same boat. Just learned of the notice. What did the dealership say when you presented it to them, would they honor it?

·
Registered
123 Posts
I had the test done prior to September 2019 and my MDX consumed 3/4 qt in 1000 miles. The Acura store said I didn't qualify for the warranty work. Now the MDX is burning over 1 qt in 1000 miles so I called them back. The SM stated that Acura stopped covering oil consumption tests due to pending legal action (obviously bad information) and there was nothing he could do. I really wish my wife didn't love the MDX, but she does, so I'll continue to add a quart every 1000 miles.

The bottom line is that the class action administrators and lawyers made the usual fees and a very small percentage of MDX owners were able to get a satisfactory resolution. I'm going to call Acura Client Relations tomorrow to see what they say but I already know the answer. The regional Honda DPSM is usually a reasonable guy so I may contact him if I don't get anywhere.

·
Registered
811 Posts
I had the test done prior to September 2019 and my MDX consumed 3/4 qt in 1000 miles. The Acura store said I didn't qualify for the warranty work. Now the MDX is burning over 1 qt in 1000 miles so I called them back. The SM stated that Acura stopped covering oil consumption tests due to pending legal action (obviously bad information) and there was nothing he could do. I really wish my wife didn't love the MDX, but she does, so I'll continue to add a quart every 1000 miles.

The bottom line is that the class action administrators and lawyers made the usual fees and a very small percentage of MDX owners were able to get a satisfactory resolution. I'm going to call Acura Client Relations tomorrow to see what they say but I already know the answer. The regional Honda DPSM is usually a reasonable guy so I may contact him if I don't get anywhere.
3/4 to 1 quart burning for e every 1000th mile is pretty good. Mine to be like that but after I added a can of engine restorer it’s burning 1/2 for every 1000 miles

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2010 MDX Tech+Ent
330 Posts

How many miles are you at?

·
Registered
123 Posts
I spoke with Acura Client Relations and was transferred to the Honda division. The CSR told me that the information provided by the Acura Service Manager was partially correct and suggested taking the MDX in to have them determine the cause of the oil burning.

The Tech did a MPI and recommended an oil consumption test with a leakdown test. I provided Honda an update and spoke with the Tech directly at the Acura store. He suggested the oil consumption test first so I told him to go ahead and change the oil to start the test. He said it was already down another quart so it looks like I'll easily hit 1 qt in 1k miles.

I'll post back after I return to the dealership at 1k miles.

Reactions: thumper

·
Registered
123 Posts
I wanted to post back with an update. We found another vehicle and traded in the MDX. It was before the consumption test was completed.

441 - 451 of 451 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.