Acura MDX SUV Forums banner

21 - 40 of 329 Posts

·
Registered
627 Posts
Hmm, I checked my vin on Acura site and it shows no recall for my car.

In any case since my US Spec car is now in Canada I dont know if they would have honored it...
It is not a recall. It is an advisory..whatever that is. Bring your car over the boarder to fix.

Sent from my LG-US996 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
10 Posts
Mine is a US Spec'd car in the North East, the letter says All MDXs of our generation, regardless of in service date and miles. we have until September 2019. I suspect you will get the letter soon. Just drive it over the border and they will look at it.

·
Registered
2,028 Posts
That is right, it is a head scratcher. Maybe it is still doing its thing? Or the oil is approaching end of life. 13% noack is about 1/2 quart of 4.5 quarts. Only fresh new oil now is to be sure.

I experienced very similar phenomenal. After 1000 mile it consumes very tiny amount of oil ( just a tad below the top lime) but after 1200 miles the oil drop to almost the bottom line. And I am using Prestone engine restore with combination of 44K BG. The oil is at 9000 miles since it was last oil change. I change oil every 10k miles using M1 AP 5-30.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
10 Posts
Got my letter and scheduled the test because mine consumes a quart at least once every 1500 mi. The dealer did tell me that 1 qt per 1000 is “Normal” so I will have to pay closer attention. Also, the oil consumption test involves 2 oil changes that the dealer must do and it sounds like it must show excessive consumption after both times.

Either way, I want the consumption documented for the future. I’m about to hit 106K on my 2011.

Does anyone know if a particular driving pattern causes more or less consumption? Stop and go vs highway. “Spirited” driving versus being light on the pedal?

I do feel like my consumption varies and is higher after the initial 1000k miles on a fresh oil change.

·
Registered
627 Posts
If you really wanted to pass the oil consumption test, just sucks the oil enough so that it is below the min mark. Use a mini-vac. :}

·
Registered
695 Posts
Discussion Starter #30
If you really wanted to pass the oil consumption test, just sucks the oil enough so that it is below the min mark. Use a mini-vac. :}

You don’t think they “mark” the filter, dipstick, drain plug etc?

·
Registered
1,968 Posts
I got my Oil consumption letter this week. I'm already close to 125,000 miles. I usually use about 1 quart of Mobil 1 5w-20 per 9000 mile M.I.D. oil changes. Wouldn't be worth taking in at that consumption rate.

·
Registered
9 Posts
I’m in a similar boat, my MDX is technically outside the mileage limit of the warranty. The car takes an additional 3 quarts of oil per 6,500 miles. Dealer wants $140 to do the consumption test. For $140 dollars I can buy a lot of oil to add. Further, assuming I qualify for the repairs, they will only warranty the work for 1 year or 12k miles. Right now my engine is working like a top, I don’t know if it’s worth it to go through with the fix at all. I don’t think any Acura dealer does a lot of engine rebuilds and I wouldn’t want to be their test subject.

·
Registered
61 Posts
I’m in a similar boat, my MDX is technically outside the mileage limit of the warranty. The car takes an additional 3 quarts of oil per 6,500 miles. Dealer wants $140 to do the consumption test. For $140 dollars I can buy a lot of oil to add. Further, assuming I qualify for the repairs, they will only warranty the work for 1 year or 12k miles. Right now my engine is working like a top, I don’t know if it’s worth it to go through with the fix at all. I don’t think any Acura dealer does a lot of engine rebuilds and I wouldn’t want to be their test subject.
The warranty extension states that claims submitted within 6 months of the client notification will be covered regardless of mileage or vehicle age. What dealer is charging for the oil consumption test? Mine didn't charge for it and they eventually did the rebuild.

In any event, sounds like yours isn't burning enough to qualify.

·
Registered
695 Posts
Discussion Starter #37

The warranty extension states that claims submitted within 6 months of the client notification will be covered regardless of mileage or vehicle age. What dealer is charging for the oil consumption test? Mine didn't charge for it and they eventually did the rebuild.

In any event, sounds like yours isn't burning enough to qualify.

I have to get the airbag done, per another recent recall, might as well let them test mine...I doubt they are charging for the test now that this letter has been sent to owners, but you never know.

·
Registered
147 Posts
For the dealer to acknowledge the test.....My dealer requires for you to pay for two oil changes ($65.00 each), of which would then be monitored to determine if you are burning oil. Sound like a good way to collect $130.00 per auto. As far as I know I am not burning oil. I can't understand why any auto would be burning oil if you got regular oil changes. The more I read about Acura MDX's having all these issues make me think this is my last one. I have been with Toyotas for the past 19 or so years......never heard of such. Oil burning.....trannys.....torque converters.....steering issues.....motor mounts.....wrapped rotors.....battery issues.....bluetooth problems.....you name it. I had faith in Acuras....but the more I read.....I'm done with them. Without an Extended Warrantee, I would have never been able to survived. Too damn expensive.....just to drive. Going back to Toyotas, where is cheap and safe.

·
Registered
137 Posts
For the dealer to acknowledge the test.....My dealer requires for you to pay for two oil changes ($65.00 each), of which would then be monitored to determine if you are burning oil. Sound like a good way to collect $130.00 per auto. As far as I know I am not burning oil. I can't understand why any auto would be burning oil if you got regular oil changes. The more I read about Acura MDX's having all these issues make me think this is my last one. I have been with Toyotas for the past 19 or so years......never heard of such. Oil burning.....trannys.....torque converters.....steering issues.....motor mounts.....wrapped rotors.....battery issues.....bluetooth problems.....you name it. I had faith in Acuras....but the more I read.....I'm done with them. Without an Extended Warrantee, I would have never been able to survived. Too damn expensive.....just to drive. Going back to Toyotas, where is cheap and safe.
I had nothing but Toyota and Lexus vehicles since 1974 with one exception - a 2010 X cuz my wife liked it more than her old Lexus RX. My almost 20 yo Avalon does not burn a drop and neither did my Tercel, Cressida, 4Runner, RX300 or LS400. My experiment with Honda is one and done!

·
Registered
43 Posts
I got letter today, I am at 68k on 2011 MDX, but my consumption is about 3 quarts between oil changes now. So it won't fall under excessive consumption. However it will get worse over years.

21 - 40 of 329 Posts