Acura MDX SUV Forums banner

341 - 360 of 411 Posts

·
Registered
319 Posts
I just got off the phone with Acura after being transferred by Honda America. The person stated that there is no or was never an open recall for the oil consumption issue for my VIN. I don't have the letter, but KNOW I received one. My MDX is sitting at the mechanic needing a new engine due to the wear and tear. I was putting 5 qts in every 1000 miles and for the last few times, without any warning light. The car would just shake. She gave me no help with the exception of "building a case file". There has to be some sort of recourse. Has anyone had the same issue?
How many miles on your MDX, how long did you have the excessive consumption before needing the new engine.

FIVE quarts per 1,000 miles??? Wow, I'm surprised you hung onto it for that long. I'd have dumped it long ago. Good luck. Hope they step up.
I am wondering the same, I will definitely sell mine if the consumption goes that high.

·
Registered
888 Posts
How many miles on your MDX, how long did you have the excessive consumption before needing the new engine.

I am wondering the same, I will definitely sell mine if the consumption goes that high.
He must be missing chunks of metal from cylinder walls

·
Registered
62 Posts
Sorry, sounds like you missed the boat. All testing was to begin by September 1. According to the service adviser at my place Acura stopped because many dealers were taking advantage of the program by putting in for the warranty repair to upsell on timebelts, rear main seals, etc

·
Registered
739 Posts
I just got off the phone with Acura after being transferred by Honda America. The person stated that there is no or was never an open recall for the oil consumption issue for my VIN. I don't have the letter, but KNOW I received one. My MDX is sitting at the mechanic needing a new engine due to the wear and tear. I was putting 5 qts in every 1000 miles and for the last few times, without any warning light. The car would just shake. She gave me no help with the exception of "building a case file". There has to be some sort of recourse. Has anyone had the same issue?
There was never the official "recall" campaign because it was not a safety issue. So, the VIN does not get flagged. All owners got was an open invitation letter to get oil consumption test if the owners are experiencing with oil loss. The repair was a regional/district manager's discretion, never guaranteed offer. The Acura Customer Relation is there only to reject the repair.

Sent from my LG-US996 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
739 Posts
Sorry, sounds like you missed the boat. All testing was to begin by September 1. According to the service adviser at my place Acura stopped because many dealers were taking advantage of the program by putting in for the warranty repair to upsell on timebelts, rear main seals, etc
That service manager was talking non-sense. Acura ended the program because it was the deadline date that Acura set in the original letter.

Sent from my LG-US996 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
62 Posts
He was aware of the cutoff date. He was simply stating no late stragglers would be considered due to shady dealer practices.

·
Registered
888 Posts
There's no "deadline" if you are still under 8 years, 125,000 miles. The September 1st deadline was for cars that were outside of the time/mileage limits.
This is correct.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I talked to a service writer today who claims they've done hundreds of oil consumption tests and they've never had one come back positive. Does that seem odd?

Without trying to be too much of a jerk, I asked him if they were overfilling the oil, and he said that would be fraud, and they have no reason not to do the work since Acura is paying for it.

I have a leaking cylinder that's misfiring (flashing check engine light) so I hope it's enough to meet the threshold. If not, maybe we just dump the car for cheap. It's only worth $10k.

·
Registered
27 Posts
i was losing about 1qt every 1500 miles which was below the threshold for the fix. my mechanic recommended trying BG EPR as they've had good results with other cars that were burning oil also.
i'm now losing about 1/2 a quart every 5k miles for the last 15k miles. so for those of you who don't meet the requirements it wouldn't hurt to try it. i'm guessing any other carbon cleaner would probably help but this is the one i used.

I was going to dump/trade it in to not deal with it but since i'm ok now i'll just ride the car out and enjoy no car payment haha. i do need to get my valves adjusted soon, im at 117k miles now.

·
Registered
888 Posts
i was losing about 1qt every 1500 miles which was below the threshold for the fix. my mechanic recommended trying BG EPR as they've had good results with other cars that were burning oil also.
i'm now losing about 1/2 a quart every 5k miles for the last 15k miles. so for those of you who don't meet the requirements it wouldn't hurt to try it. i'm guessing any other carbon cleaner would probably help but this is the one i used.

I was going to dump/trade it in to not deal with it but since i'm ok now i'll just ride the car out and enjoy no car payment haha. i do need to get my valves adjusted soon, im at 117k miles now.
BG really works, one of the best "engine flush" solution available on the market. Your mechanic did a right thing ;)

·
Registered
2011 SH-AWD
2 Posts
I took mine in before the deadline and was scheduled +30th in line for the repair. They said once im in the system there wasnt an actual time to make the repair happen but the Sept deadline was for the test to get completed. They called yesterday and I'm booked for the 20th to go in. They are saying that parts for teardown are backlogged and they also didn't want to fill all their repair bays with week long projects. I'm the second owner of this and it seems in 2016 the previous owner did the timing belt kit according to their service record history. They are recommending I should look at added things to do while the engine is apart, but said we would discuss when I bring it in. What other maintenance should I have done? Valve adjustment like Stag3 wrote? Oil pump? Dealer said to buy a new timing belt for the one they will take off since its already at 142,000 mi. (I'm guessing in 2016 it was at 100k)

·
Registered
169 Posts
Just got the recall service completed today. All went well and drove well for the first 20 miles post-service. Took them 2 days to complete the repair, which included a bunch of added services.

They gave me a brand new RDX A-Spec loaner which was very nice (my quick feedback operating in sport+ mode: great cosmetic bits with a-spec package, 4 cyl turbo was plenty of power for around town but felt a bit weak overall, transmission wasn't as quick as I expected, suspension was great, build quality in insulation, interior, etc. was great, massive sunroof was impressive, a-spec wheels were great looking in person).

I got the below list done, for $1,300 (parts, labor, tax). MDX currently has 105k on the clock and I plan to drive it into the ground so made the extra investment in the below list. I otherwise do all my own work on the MDX so am already up to date on all other fluids and key repairs.

-Timing belt
-Timing belt tensioner
-Spark plugs
-Valve adjustment
-Water pump
-Valve cover gaskets
-Oil pump reseal (I knew mine was leaking and the confirmed it was leaking when they got in there)
-Main drive/accessory belt
-Coolant change
-Oil and filter change

Only question, would you guys DIY and invest in new plug ignition coils while I'm at it with this quasi overhaul set of services? Or maybe wait until I hit ~150k miles and do another spark plug change?

·
Registered
319 Posts
Ok, so I started checking my oil frequently (once a month lol) and logging it for a while now. I also started topping it off whenever it went low. I did it over the last 16k miles. I just reviewed that data and I figured that my engine is burning about Half quart every 1000 miles. Is this still excessive or acceptable level?

·
Registered
888 Posts
Ok, so I started checking my oil frequently (once a month lol) and logging it for a while now. I also started topping it off whenever it went low. I did it over the last 16k miles. I just reviewed that data and I figured that my engine is burning about Half quart every 1000 miles. Is this still excessive or acceptable level?
Excessive for sure.

Reactions: teknocrat

·
Registered
319 Posts
Thanks, so will continue to check and top up. Btw while mine is out of warranty (2011) are there different levels of severity of this issue? As in why is less than 1 quart not covered in Acura warranty repair but over 1 quart is?

·
Registered
888 Posts
Thanks, so will continue to check and top up. Btw while mine is out of warranty (2011) are there different levels of severity of this issue? As in why is less than 1 quart not covered in Acura warranty repair but over 1 quart is?
What is the mileage of your MDX?

·
Registered
888 Posts
341 - 360 of 411 Posts