Acura MDX SUV Forums banner
1 - 20 of 49 Posts

· Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 2010 Acura MDX
133,000 miles

burns up oil pretty bad maybe 1-2qts in a month.
Today I drove about 500 miles and got to my destination and burned up a qt of oil.

I checked the forums, didn’t find any direction.
Any advice ?

· Registered
5,061 Posts
Use "oil consumption" in the search bar above and select "entire community". Oil consumption for the 10-13 MDX is a big issue that is caused by oil clogged rings around the pistons. Acura had an extended warranty for the fix; but, that expired years ago (replace the rings and cylinders for free). Look on YouTube and you can see other MDX owners that DYI the fix if you want to see what is involved.

I have a 11 MDX Adv with +152,000 miles and I'm always around 1.5 qts per 9000 mile oil change interval. I switched to full syn oil at 30,000 miles when I purchased my MDX used back in 2014 and might have helped keep my oil consumption steady since.

· Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Yes, well we went on a long drive about 609 miles and burned up a qt of oil. I’ll look more into it.
Assuming I get the piston rings replaced seems to be my best option no clue what that might cost I assume 2-5k

· Registered
5,061 Posts
Yes, well we went on a long drive about 609 miles and burned up a qt of oil. I’ll look more into it.
Assuming I get the piston rings replaced seems to be my best option no clue what that might cost I assume 2-5k
Most likely that much $$$. This is also assuming no other long term problems of burning that much oil on other systems. The 07-09 engine didn't have this issue. I don't know if the engine blocks are interchangeable if that is cheaper than a fix?

· Registered
97 Posts
interesting site on attempts to clean out piston rings, of course the posts are anecdotal.

· Registered
1,382 Posts
Cheap Solution. Check your oil frequently and Keep adding if needed.
let me know when there will be no compression in one of the cylinders on your MDX.

· Registered
1,382 Posts
interesting site on attempts to clean out piston rings, of course the posts are anecdotal.

Done it many times:

Vehicle Automotive lighting Automotive tire Hood Car

· Registered
2,092 Posts
I have a 2010 Acura MDX
133,000 miles

Today I drove about 500 miles and got to my destination and burned up a qt of oil.
Yep, that's pretty much the issue with 2010+ models. It's a known thing admitted by Acura with a TSB and extended warranty. Too late for that for you now, it should have been done earlier when the warranty extension was still valid. Unfortunately, now you're on your own. Pretty expensive fix (piston replacement, you're looking at a $3K+ job roughly).

· Registered
10 Posts
Had the same issue on my 13 MDX Advance. Mine was burning just about the same as yours. Then it happened and Acura would not do anything. So I took it to a shop and at first the quote was 4500 to fix it. Took it apart and the #6 Cylinder had a big chunk missing out of it. So now I needed a whole new block, I luckily found the only 1 in the U.S. from Acura. They shipped it and was put back together within 2 weeks. Parts for 2nd generation MDX's are very limited on the west coast just an fyi, not sure about the entire U.S but I'm pretty sure it might be. Just got my car back last month 03/2022. My car had 190k miles on it when it occured.

· Registered
5,061 Posts
I love my 11 MDX Adv with +152,000 miles and it runs perfectly. I'm thinking I should sell it now with used car prices being so high and potential issues with ADS and oil consumption.

· Registered
97 Posts
I love my 11 MDX Adv with +152,000 miles and it runs perfectly. I'm thinking I should sell it now with used car prices being so high and potential issues with ADS and oil consumption.
[/QUOT
Used car prices dropped in March, we may be just past the peak (depending on your local situation). But, people getting tax returns so that should help the market.

· Registered
9 Posts
I have a 2010 Acura MDX
133,000 miles

I checked the forums, didn’t find any direction.
Any advice ?
I'm not sure if this is the same situation with your 2nd Gen MDX, I would contact Acura and/or nhtsa.gov with your VIN about recalls or service issues. I had an winter snow accident in 2019 that totaled my 2013 MDX (135,000 miles) which I replaced with a 2016 MDX. My 2013 also would burn oil and in 2020, I received a letter from Acura that said some 3rd Gen engines were built with the wrong piston rings and that mistake would have the engine burn oil like you do between oil changes. At that time their only offer was to extend the warranty. I would also speak to your mechanic if they have a recommendation about better oil additives (I would try Automotive Test Solutions products (atschemicalsolutions.com) ) that would clean the carbon build up off your piston rings to lubricate better and that may help with your oil consumption.

· Registered
534 Posts
So last few days we have been noticing a grinding noise from the car and I assumed it must be from the wheels due to the recent car wash(got a monthly pass with unlimited washes LOL) so thought would get it checked when I go for changing tires(Switching from Winter to All season). However I got a low engine warning on the MDX which I have never seen so far in last 8 years of ownership. So i check and to my horror no oil on dipstick (except for small traces but no thick line) Immediately filled up 3+ quarts of oil. After this we started driving as usual and on 2nd day or so my wife pointed out(its her primary car) that the grinding noise was gone :eek:

Btw last oil change before the warning was 2165 miles, so its not like it was running unattended for long 🤯

Was this just a coincidence or was something really grinding in the engine 😭

Is it time to sell the car to cut any potential losses from an engine failure?

1 - 20 of 49 Posts