Acura MDX SUV Forums banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My 2011 vehicle is at 180k miles and is due for a timing belt replacement and valve adjustment. My vehicle also has spark knocking and transmission knocking, as diagnosed from a technician when we went on a ride along in St. Louis. He says a simple software should fix this. They were originally quoting me about $1900 for replacing the timing belt, water pump, and drive belt and a valve adjustment. I told them I had failed the oil consumption test from another dealership (in Springfield), and that they were waiting for parts to install. The St. Louis told me they could do the oil consumption recall which will cut my labor costs for the timing belt and valve adjustment in HALF! Now I'm only paying about $1100 or so for timing belt, water pump, drive belt replacement with valve adjustment and two software updates, AND they are replacing the pistons for the recall...I thought they were just going to replace the seals, but apparently the recall replaces the actual pistons...I'd say this is a win. I should be getting my car back in the next two days and will update

·
Registered
2,466 Posts
What a deal! You can go another +180,000 miles on your MDX after this fix.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Haha, I hope so. Hopefully my car can drive as good as its glory days. It's been feeling pretty sluggish

·
Registered
169 Posts
My 2011 vehicle is at 180k miles and is due for a timing belt replacement and valve adjustment. My vehicle also has spark knocking and transmission knocking, as diagnosed from a technician when we went on a ride along in St. Louis. He says a simple software should fix this. They were originally quoting me about $1900 for replacing the timing belt, water pump, and drive belt and a valve adjustment. I told them I had failed the oil consumption test from another dealership (in Springfield), and that they were waiting for parts to install. The St. Louis told me they could do the oil consumption recall which will cut my labor costs for the timing belt and valve adjustment in HALF! Now I'm only paying about $1100 or so for timing belt, water pump, drive belt replacement with valve adjustment and two software updates, AND they are replacing the pistons for the recall...I thought they were just going to replace the seals, but apparently the recall replaces the actual pistons...I'd say this is a win. I should be getting my car back in the next two days and will update
$1,900 is insane, even for a dealer. My dealer quoted me $1,100 (last year before this whole oil consumption thing blew up) for the timing belt, water pump, drive belt and valve adjustment. I actually thought $1,000-$1,300 was the standard dealer range for that job.

I just was approved for the oil consumption repair and my dealer had a price sheet for "extra stuff" that I could do while I was in there. I have 101k miles and am also due for the timing belt job. Here are the prices:

Valve adjustement: $100
Timing Belt and Drive Belt: $177
Water Pump: $368
Oil Pump Reseal: $425

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
$1,900 is insane, even for a dealer. My dealer quoted me $1,100 (last year before this whole oil consumption thing blew up) for the timing belt, water pump, drive belt and valve adjustment. I actually thought $1,000-$1,300 was the standard dealer range for that job.

I just was approved for the oil consumption repair and my dealer had a price sheet for "extra stuff" that I could do while I was in there. I have 101k miles and am also due for the timing belt job. Here are the prices:

Valve adjustement: $100
Timing Belt and Drive Belt: $177
Water Pump: $368
Oil Pump Reseal: $425
Oh wow...And here I thought I was getting a steal. Yeah, this recall is clutch, coming just in time for a timing belt and valve adjustment. Good luck!

·
Registered
3,338 Posts
I agree 1900 is beyond greedy..

·
Registered
74 Posts
Yeah, that's very expensive. I'm at the Honda dealership getting an oil change and they quoted me $799 for the timing belt package. Although they did also offer the change my engine air filter for $60 and my cabin air filter for $62. Of course I declined that offer and replaced both for $24.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
So I've attached my invoice for those of you who are interested in how much I paid for timing belt, valve adjustment, and 2 software updates in conjunction with the oil consumption recall which reduced the labor costs. The X rides like a dream again. Please let me know if you think I overpaid.

·
Registered
2,795 Posts
So I've attached my invoice for those of you who are interested in how much I paid for timing belt, valve adjustment, and 2 software updates in conjunction with the oil consumption recall which reduced the labor costs. The X rides like a dream again. Please let me know if you think I overpaid.

View attachment 113343 View attachment 113344
Can you tell me what is the software version they updated? Here is mine.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2011 Acura MDX Advance
78 Posts
Also curious to know what the software updates were for. Says for "engine ping"? Is there a problem with these engines pinging, too? Every once in a while it sounds like my X's engine is pinging. I always chalked it up to bad gas.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Also curious to know what the software updates were for. Says for "engine ping"? Is there a problem with these engines pinging, too? Every once in a while it sounds like my X's engine is pinging. I always chalked it up to bad gas.
I went on a ride along with a technician to point out the fluttering noise I keep hearing when I accelerate. It almost sounds like a misfire. The tech said it was spark knocking and could be fixed with a software update.

The second software update dealt with my acceleration. My RPMs would go up and down when I keep my foot at a constant pressure on the acceleration. Also, it would feel like I was driving over rumble strips when I was driving on flat, smooth ground. Tech also said it was a software issue.

These are the two software updates that fixed this problem for me

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
The tech did ask me if I use premium gas or not, which I do. the fluttering noise he said is due to two potential things: using bad gas or outdated software.

·
Registered
2011 Acura MDX Advance
78 Posts
The tech did ask me if I use premium gas or not, which I do. the fluttering noise he said is due to two potential things: using bad gas or outdated software.
Yeah, we always use 93 octane. I might inquire about a software update when it goes in for the oil consumption repair.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Yeah, we always use 93 octane. I might inquire about a software update when it goes in for the oil consumption repair.
I would request a ride along if possible. Depending on how good your technician is, he can probably semi-diagnose your problem just by being a passenger

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Phillip, they charged you for the software update?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Yes, which I thought was crazy. Like c'mon...it's a software...they charged for labor for 30min each since I had to update on two separate components. These things should be free in my opinion...

1 - 20 of 20 Posts