Acura MDX SUV Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
1,634 Posts
Pretty much any name brand 5W-20 will do. Just make sure it has the API seal.

I usually run whatever synthetic is on sale and change when the MID is at 5%. That's probably overkill to run synthetic at normal intervals, but it's not a significant cost difference if you're DIY. I've had the oil tested and it's well within spec using an OEM filter. Make sure you replace the crush washer on the drain bolt each time.

·
Registered
729 Posts
Everyone has their "best" oil to use. I use Pennzoil Ultra Platinum. Great oil, but...
The first 3000 miles after change, my car doesn't lose any oil, if any, it's negligible. Between 3000-5000, my engine lost close to 2-qts of oil. I kept a record of this for 3 change intervals now. It's weird.

·
Registered
263 Posts
I use Mobil 1 extended performance full syn 5W-20. Now you ask why I waste money on that and I cant answer. My car does not use any oil between oil changed 6000-7000 miles. I used Mobil 1 in 10 of my cars and million of miles and no problems so I stick to it. Is it the best probably not but its $26 gallon at wally world

·
Registered
48 Posts
I find the OCI pretty high. I take it back to Acura and they use their Honda oil. My other vehicle I use Pennzoil Platinum or Ultra.

·
Registered
140 Posts
Just heads up if you have a costco membership Mobil 1 is $26 a 6 pack on sale every couple months. As a result I run it in all my daily drivers, can't beat the price. At 98k miles the mdx isn't too picky but still running like a top.(knock on wood)

·
Registered
177 Posts
I use Mobil 1 Super 5000, because mine is an '08 with 115k on it. I use the same oil in my Toyota Tundra and both vehicles like it. Tried Pennzoil last time around in my Tundra and my engine pinged upon starting and just didn't sound right. I forget what type of Pennzoil. It was whatever Advance Auto carries. Can't go wrong with Mobil 1.

·
Registered
1,634 Posts
I use Mobil 1 Super 5000, because mine is an '08 with 115k on it. I use the same oil in my Toyota Tundra and both vehicles like it. Tried Pennzoil last time around in my Tundra and my engine pinged upon starting and just didn't sound right. I forget what type of Pennzoil. It was whatever Advance Auto carries. Can't go wrong with Mobil 1.
Mobil 1 and Super 5000 are two totally different oils. Mobil 1 is a fully synthetic and Super 5000 is conventional oil.

·
Registered
1,076 Posts
I use M1 Extended Performance (Gold Cap) which has 15K mile OCI's. I don't go that far, only until 12-13K max. I usually change the oil filter out half way through and add oil into the filter, plus top up with 1/10 of a quart.

For the guys burning oil, try using Mobil 1 0W-40 European Blend. It has a much higher shear resistance (HTHS) so it may not burn as fast as some are experiencing.

·
Registered
263 Posts
I use that extended performance mobil with gold car but I change it around 7000-8000 miles because car tells me too

·
Registered
1,634 Posts
I use that extended performance mobil with gold car but I change it around 7000-8000 miles because car tells me too
It's calibrated for conventional oil so it's going to tell you to change it around that mileage no matter what. I'm still in warranty so I stick to the MID as well which usually calls for a change around 9k-10k miles. We're heavily biased toward highway use. Based on sampling of regular Mobil 1 at those intervals, I'd be able to extend that out even further if I wanted. I wouldn't do it by guessing though...sampling should be done before extending because every vehicle is going to use the oil differently and if there's a mechanical problem that could be considerably too long of an OCI.

·
Registered
1,076 Posts
The car subracts from 100% on the basis of how you drive with the set condition that the car is using regular oil. If you use synthetic it won't know!

I usually run it until I get the warning for service due soon and reset the light and wait another 20%, never exceeding 14K miles.

It's calibrated for conventional oil so it's going to tell you to change it around that mileage no matter what. I'm still in warranty so I stick to the MID as well which usually calls for a change around 9k-10k miles. We're heavily biased toward highway use. Based on sampling of regular Mobil 1 at those intervals, I'd be able to extend that out even further if I wanted. I wouldn't do it by guessing though...sampling should be done before extending because every vehicle is going to use the oil differently and if there's a mechanical problem that could be considerably too long of an OCI.
I'm not worried about too long of an OCI with highway, it's the city with the fuel dilution that breaks down the oil.

·
Registered
2,376 Posts
I use Mobil 1 in my TSX, RDX and MDX. I purchase at Walmart to take to the Acura dealership for the A or B service. They usually charge me about $26 for an oil change, filter, and car wash when I provide the oil. I use Acura supplied fluids/labour for all other services.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts