Acura MDX SUV Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm buying an oil filter from the dealer but the oil itself, I'm thinking of getting it at Costco. Is Castrol or Chevron will have the same performance as the original? And what does my MDX uses, 10-30, 10-40? Thanks.

·
Registered
1,788 Posts
Hi Solid, welcome to the forum! Do a search on "oil change", there are lots of discussion on different types of oil, as well as comparisons of regular and synthetic oils.

Your X will like 5W30.

Don't forget the compression washer when you pick up your filter at the dealer.

Nothin like a good oil change... :)

·
Registered
10,732 Posts
I get my Mobil 1 at Costco. Lots of contraversy about oils, but other than cost, no one can bad mouth a good synthetic.
I can think of quite a few Camry owners that would be smiling today if they had used a synthetic.

(reference is to a lawsuit for Toytota engine failures due to sludge in engines. Sludge the result of oil breakdown when cooling path in the cylinder heads was reduced to generate more heat to reduce emssions. Evidence suggests a 100% synthetic would not have broken down.)

·
Registered
87 Posts
Solid said:
I'm buying an oil filter from the dealer but the oil itself, I'm thinking of getting it at Costco. Is Castrol or Chevron will have the same performance as the original? And what does my MDX uses, 10-30, 10-40? Thanks.
Solid, If you have a 2002, the owners manual specifies 5W-20 for all conditions. Most owners seem to think that 5W-30 is as good (or better) in warm climates (>90F). Apparently some modern engines are engineered for low viscosity oils. It should yield better gas mileage, but a lot of us who came up on "20W-50" for high performance engines worry about engine wear. I still haven't decided what I will use when the time comes (very soon), but probably 5W-30.

- Conrad

·
Registered
138 Posts
5W-20

From the 2002 manual:

"If 5W-20 oil is not available, a 5W-30 oil may be used. However, it should be replaced with 5W-20 at the next oil change."

It seems that 5W-20 should be used.

·
Registered
1,028 Posts
Compression washer

By ghost:
Don't forget the compression washer when you pick up your filter at the dealer.

I changed oil on my MDX this weekend. It appears that the washer used on the drain plug is not a compression washer but rather a regular washer that does not compress. I question the value of changing it at every oil change. Any comments?

By Solid:
And what does my MDX uses, 10-30, 10-40?

The type of oil the MDX should use will largely depend on the operating temperature range. If the temperature does not go below freezing (32*F) where you live, you can use 10W-30 or 10W-40 oil. If, however, you ever plan on taking your MDX to colder climates, 5W-20 or 5W-30 will be better for around-year versatility in all operating temperature ranges.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts