Acura MDX SUV Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
2019 Acura MDX base..11,400 miles

Dealer picked up today and left me a loaner. I requested synthetic oil and they used Castrol. I know there is different grades, but does anyone know which synthetic they use at the dealer?

Thanks

·
Registered
135 Posts
Haven't had acura change my oil yet, but at other dealers the invoice shows what oil they used. weight, brand, and type. More than likely the dealer get oil in bulk drums.

·
Registered
701 Posts
The dealer can use any brand they want, as long as it meets the requirements for the engine. That engine requires 0W20 which only comes as full synthetic or synthetic blend. Castrol makes both, so just because it is Castrol doesn't mean it's not full synthetic. Did the dealer tell it wasn't synthetic or does your paperwork say it was the synthetic blend?

·
Registered
135 Posts
since full synthetic is not required, my guess is that dealers use 0W-20 that meets acura spec's unless you pay extra for a full synthetic. They need to compete with jiffy lube on price, and in almost all cases buy oil and other fluids in bulk drums. And who the supplier is can easily vary from order to order. Who has the best price this week. The honda labeled quart bottles of oil and ATF are sold by the parts dept. to drop in customers. Service seldom if ever uses the bottled lube. And more than likely the bulk drum oil is NOT from honda, but mobil, shell, valvoline etc. After all the honda (or any other car mfg branded) oil is more than likely just rebranded from the major oil suppliers. Sometimes you can deduce who the supplier is since they often they just put a different label on the bottle. So looking at the shape and color of the bottle gives a big clue as to who supplied the oil.

Car dealers I've been to in the past usually post the prices for an oil change with conventional oil or synthetic oil unless synthetic is the required oil.

·
Registered
128 Posts
Acura dealer near to my place puts Honda Synthetic blend.

2014 MDX Tech FWD
Mine uses Honda blend also. But you can request full Synth. I just do it myself, gives me a chance to look at everything underneath and I rotate tires at the same time... I don't mind doing the maint myself.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Pkr...that's what I thought as well and did request full synthetic. She told me they could put Mobil 1 in as well.
I have changed the oil in family's / kids cars for past 25 years and thought I would try the dealer. They cleaned up the beam under the oil filter really well. I did slide under and checked it out.

·
Registered
701 Posts
Pkr...that's what I thought as well and did request full synthetic. She told me they could put Mobil 1 in as well.
I have changed the oil in family's / kids cars for past 25 years and thought I would try the dealer. They cleaned up the beam under the oil filter really well. I did slide under and checked it out.
Quite frankly for me it comes down to time invested even more than cost savings. I bulk order filters from RockAuto then pick up oil while I am out shopping anyway. I can turn an oil change and tire rotation in about 45 minutes vs driving 15 minutes to the shop, being there for 45 minutes on the best day, then 15 minutes back home. If it's not the best day at the shop it's more like 90 minutes. So even if I can work the drive time into the rest of my day the best I get on the time issue is a wash and I save $50 doing it myself. I also have no worries about stripped drain plugs, cross threaded lug nuts, over-torqued lug nuts, etc. Win-win all the way around. If I have any tire balance issues then I go to the shop for my lifetime balance and rotation to take care of that, but otherwise I never go there unless I need tires or alignment as I don't have those machines at home.

·
Registered
128 Posts
If it's not the best day at the shop it's more like 90 minutes. So even if I can work the drive time into the rest of my day the best I get on the time issue is a wash and I save $50 doing it myself. I also have no worries about stripped drain plugs, cross threaded lug nuts, over-torqued lug nuts, etc. Win-win all the way around.
I am 100% in agreement. Only gripe I have is recycling oil; which I usually take to Autozone or Oreilly's. I even have a 5 gallon bucket to put the oil in bcs they will only take 5 gallons. I have several cars so that is usually about 4-5 oil changes.

I look at brakes, sometimes clean the inside of the wheels and touch up any rust I can see.

·
Registered
135 Posts
I am 100% in agreement. Only gripe I have is recycling oil; which I usually take to Autozone or Oreilly's. I even have a 5 gallon bucket to put the oil in bcs they will only take 5 gallons. I have several cars so that is usually about 4-5 oil changes.

I look at brakes, sometimes clean the inside of the wheels and touch up any rust I can see.
X2. We have curbside oil recycling every other week along with the other recycling so recycling used oil is easy. And I have a quickjack portable lift so it's "easy peazy" to get the cars up about 2 ft off the ground, and do a good undercar check as well. And I use a fumoto valve on all my vehicles so just line up the drain pan, attach the tubing to the valve and let it drain, no fuss, no muss. My truck takes 10 quarts, the MDX is the lightweight with only 4.5 qts. My other two cars take 8.5 Quarts (8 liters). So when oil change time comes around, I go through a fair number of plastic milk jugs.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Agree..all good point on changing it yourself. One thing my dealer does ( maybe all do ) is come to your house and pick up your car and leave a loaner. I will change the air filter and cabin filter myself.

·
Registered
475 Posts
I think the blend vs. full syn debate is fully squashed by the benefits of simply changing the oil on time. I'm a brand name full syn user, but recognize the dude changing on time using Supertech oil is likely to have no difference in wear or useful life of his engine. Consumer behavior is a funny thing.

I spend 3 seasons of the year at race tracks on the west coast, so disposing of used fluids (everything you can imagine) is not an issue for me. Even without that, @Pkrface has it right, dealer visits are a huge time suck.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts