33 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hi
bought new black/ebony black MDX
i have 2 questions
1. do i have to change the oil when iam at 750 miles
(cleans the extra burr materials)
2. add non synthetic for the first time and change the oil to
synthetic 5-WD after the first 3500 miles.
if above is incorrect when should i go for synthetic oil.
and what are the +ve and -ve effects doing so.
i would appreciate any answer
thankx

·
Registered
1,724 Posts
750? Do you really mean 750 and not 7500? 7500 is recommended for normal service, and 3750 is recommended for severe service. You should let the original engine oil go for that long before changing it to allow for proper engine break-in. I believe that Acura recommends that you NOT change the oil before then; I know that my dealers (both Acura and Honda) do.

I can't answer your questions about synthetic, but remember that the warranty in part depends on the oil AND the oil weight that you use. Use the weight that's shown on the engine oil cap; if 5W-30, use it; if 5W-20, use that.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
hi frost
i have a friend who is a racer he was saying changing oil at 750mi
(not 7500 mi) helps to clean up the system.
iam not sure about it hence i had to post it here to know few answers, my car is having 300 miles now.

·
Registered
6,809 Posts
sivaveera said:
hi
bought new black/ebony black MDX
i have 2 questions
1. do i have to change the oil when iam at 750 miles
(cleans the extra burr materials)
2. add non synthetic for the first time and change the oil to
synthetic 5-WD after the first 3500 miles.
if above is incorrect when should i go for synthetic oil.
and what are the +ve and -ve effects doing so.
i would appreciate any answer
thankx
I did my first oil change after my break-in of 1000 miles under 55 miles per hour. After that initial, I'm following a 3000 mile or 3 month oil change with either 5w-30 in warm weather and 5w-20 for the other months. I don't think you would need to spend the extra money on synthetic oil if you change on a similiar schedule. Synthetic oil is only if you are going more miles between oil changes, say 7500 miles or longer. I'm using Castrol 5w-30 for the summer. I changed oil first at 1000 miles to clean after the break in, and remove the break in lube from engine. Acura doesn't recommend this change at all, I took it uopn myself to follow this schedule. It's a habit I have with all my past vehicles, and feel it can only help the longivity of the vehicle considering I purchased and didn't lease.

·
Registered
6,809 Posts
DaleB said:
There you go, you can follow the manual or follow Paul! More choices! Sometimes Paul is even easier to understand than the manual. He's a lot more original that's for sure :D
Thank you for the compliment. It's greatly appreciated, especially from you DaleB.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
thankx guys

i will follow as paul says
will do a oil change for 1000 miles and then use 5w-30
since i live in california.
thanks again

·
Registered
6,531 Posts
Follow the manual!

Change at 7500 under normal driving conditions.
Change at 3750 under extreme conditions.

·
Registered
10,732 Posts
Just had my first oil change at Los Gatos Acura. I brought the oil, filter, and drain plug gasket. (4800 miles).
They changed it, checked all lights, horn, wipers, and tire pressures for $17.04 .
This includes a car wash and vacuum. Told him I did not want to wash off my Zaino finish. Said other people worry about the wax finish they spent all weekend on. They only use car wash soap that does not strip wax, and does not add any. Or they can just use water. Or not do at all. I opted for the water only.
Looks good, very clean, Zaino shine still there, no swirls. No water spots either not even on the glass. These guys are good!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts