Acura MDX SUV Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
421 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have never had an Acura before. For the first oil change I will bring it back to the dealer. After that, when I only need an oil change for service, is it necessary to bring it in to the dealership or can I bring it to one of those "quick oil change places"? Do they have the filters?

·
Registered
214 Posts
You can take your MDX anywhere you like, the filters should not be a problem becuase they are the same filters used on other brands of Acuras so your local Jiffylube should have plenty- one thing I don't like about going to those quick lube's is that they tend to use crappy oil. I would do it myself and use synthetic oil, or find a place that will let you bring in your own oil.

·
Registered
681 Posts
Jiffy Lube charges $31.99, my Acura dealer have a special $29.99 every three months. They did pretty much the same as Jiffy but use Acura genuine parts and the car wash is included. This way, I will have record at the dealer of my maintenance and will have a lot of future goodwill work should something drastic may happen (God forbids). And the dealer is closer than Jiffy. Just have to make an appointment instead of just drop-in.

·
Registered
580 Posts
Just keep your receipts--

You can do that, but you must keep track of your oil changes and all the other stuff. I personally do not trust those 10 minute oil change places. I used them before I got my MDX, but I won't trust my MDX to just anyone. My dad does it for me. I just buy my oil and oil filters and take it to him.

The 10 minute places stripped my husband oil plug and didn't tell him about it, they sometimes don't tightend the nut up and you get oil leaking out of your car. I don't want to tell anyone what to do, but my opinion is find someone or someplace you can trust to do it right and care about what they are doing. It will save you a lot of heartaches later.

Lmeans

·
Registered
619 Posts
Most people have no problems with 10 mins. oil change shops. However, I wouldn't trust them unless u know them personally.

if you are looking for a cheaper place to get your oil changed, then try walmart- i believe they still charge $15.88 per oil change. just keep your receipts.

cya

·
Registered
228 Posts
You can bring your acura anywhere as long as you keep your receipts.
But if price is an issue, I would try a Honda dealer for oil changes. I find a lot of them have specials for 18-22 for the service and they use genuine Honda/Acura parts. You don't need worry about a Honda dealer having the parts in stock either because they both use the same filter and oil drain plug.
I personally think if you change your oil every 3000-4000 miles, you might not be buying too much for using synthetic.
As far as Mobil 1 vs Castrol, I think Castrol makes a full synthetic which should be comparable in price and performance.

·
Registered
151 Posts
The 10 Minute or Jiffy Lube

type oil changes are fast, BUT I hate them. The reason I hate them is that they do not train their people on the proper inflation of tires. Without fail (I don't use them any more as I go to the dealer) they will OVERINFLATE the tires. They have no clue as to what the proper PSI is for your tires and they don't care. The MDX requires 32lbs for both front and rear. You even have to watch the ACURA dealers as when they rotated my tires I checked them cold and they were DOWN to 28lbs...as for tires and oil you have to be careful no matter where you go. The reason I go to the dealer for my oil change is because I get it for free....this was a part of the negotiations when I bought the MDX last Feb 01.

Watch out for your tires as no one else will.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Watch out for the Brakes Plus types...

I learned a hard lesson with my '91 Legend. I took it to Big O Tires for a rotation and oil change. A few months later, I took the car to Brakes Plus for a brake job and oil change. The guy at Brakes Plus said that the oil plug was stripped by the last guy that changed the oil. So I call Big O and give them hell, only to have them swear that they "never strip an oil plug without telling the customer". So, where does this leave me? Either change the oil myself(which I like to do), or have the dealer do it, and pray THEY aren't a bunch of liars...

·
Registered
1,321 Posts
Just another slam on the jiffy-change:

They use bottom-of-the-barrel filters.

You will not get an acura quality filter.

So, where does this leave you: bring your own oil, your own filter, don't let them mess with the tires, don't let them torque the drain plug....

They vacuum ok though.

Ard

·
Registered
10,732 Posts
Don't do it! For an older car you bang around with on the weekends, it might be ok.
For newer cars, while it's in Jiff-a-Bob getting an oil change it might be convenient to have them fllush out the cooling system. Do they know many cross-flow radiators have a very unique refill process that if not followed can result in air being trapped and blowing a head gasket down the road even though your temp gauge has not budged?
Now, most new car dealers offer similar service, and as was well stated, you have the care 'home' with people that know it, because they work on them everyday, especially if something does not look right.

·
Registered
144 Posts
I would only use dealer or do it myself... A close friend or family member is ok too...

Only thing with getting the dealer to do it is that they have the records online. Maintenance issues for warranty work aren't an issue, all Acura has to do is look it up. This helped a friend with his P.O.S. Dodge that blew a tranny. However, if you keep your receipts warranty work CANNOT be denied BECAUSE you did not use Acura for service per Federal Law....

If you HAVE to use a ten-minute oil change place, best advice is to WATCH THEM DO THE WORK... Inspect the car afterwards, that way if they stripped the plug, etc.. you can get it taken care of at that time and there is no room for "We didn't do it, the last guy must've"

As for an older car, Why would you put an older car through hell but not your new one. I treat my old 1988 Mustang the same way I do my 'x. Synthetic Oil, the best oil filter I can find, and K&N filter...

1 - 12 of 12 Posts