Acura MDX SUV Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1,724 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I found this today at the AutoWeek website, about Toyota engine problems with oil sludge. It just might be another reason to get your regular maintenance done at the dealer's where you bought your vehicle.

http://autoweek.com/cat_content.mv?port_code=autoweek&cat_code=carnews&loc_code=&content_code=06190829

If YOU take the car in for service as specified in your owner's manual, and THEY do the work, then (warranty-wise) there's no question about the work being done right. This poor lady used Jiffy Lube, and Toyota wouldn't accept the Jiffy Lube receipts as proof that she had properly maintained the car.

You have a $35-40K vehicle. Is it worth jeopardizing your warranty just to save a few bucks twice a year?

·
Registered
1,329 Posts
frostyra said:
I found this today at the AutoWeek website, about Toyota engine problems with oil sludge. It just might be another reason to get your regular maintenance done at the dealer's where you bought your vehicle.

http://autoweek.com/cat_content.mv?port_code=autoweek&cat_code=carnews&loc_code=&content_code=06190829

If YOU take the car in for service as specified in your owner's manual, and THEY do the work, then (warranty-wise) there's no question about the work being done right. This poor lady used Jiffy Lube, and Toyota wouldn't accept the Jiffy Lube receipts as proof that she had properly maintained the car.

You have a $35-40K vehicle. Is it worth jeopardizing your warranty just to save a few bucks twice a year?
I agree with you 100%. when you have an Authorized Dealership work on maintenance on your car...be it ANY car...you have official receipts. Shall you have any wrong stemming from the maintenance of the car; you have recourse.

In the past I have tried to cut corners to save money by doing it myself but with the on-going evolution on the complexities of car engines today...You cannot take a chance by doing things yourself or taking your car to an "oil changer" to do the work for you.

With iVtech, VTech, hybrids...The evolution of car engines...how slow may it be..it is evolving and comparing that to say a 450 Chevy block...you cant just "do it yourself" anymore...unless you go to a mechanics school.

The money you pay now will out weight the money you will have to shelf out later to get the car fix.

Funny thing is...HAVE YOU EVER watch a show on SPEEDVISION lately that shows you how to fix, maintain and trick a 2001 Acura MDX or an NSX or a LExus or a Ferrari or even a later model American vehicle??? LOL They still have a show car "MY CLASSIC CAR" for pete's sake!

Cheers!

·
681 Posts
Get Your Book Stamped Too

I get all my service done at the dealership also and I always remember to have them STAMP THE BOOK. Since every oil-change box in my owner's manual has the dealers official stamp AND I have the receipts - I won't ever have a problem documenting proper maintenance.
Of course, the fact that my dealership does a great job, has competitive pricing and always washes my car makes this an attractive alternative.
Meep Meep

·
Registered
103 Posts
I want to go to your dealers. I agree with going to the dealer for service if it is at all convenient. Living 50 miles outside Boston, the closest dealer is 50 miles away. They have a 3 week wait to bring a car in for service. They rush through the work, leaving oil dripping from the suspension and I found a rag on top of the engine. The cost to change the rear differential fluid was $125 (ugh!). After owning 8 Honda/Acura products, many of which I drove over 150k, I would much rather do the work myself. Normal maintenance (oil changes, brakes, spark plugs, air filters) are for the most part the same on the MDX as a Honda built 10 years ago. I understand the liability of doing your own work but I often do a better job than the dealer mechanics because I take the time to do it right and really care about the vehicle because its mine.

·
Registered
619 Posts
I have to agree with paul(see above). The dealers are hoping we are scared about voiding our warranty, and therefore take advantage of it. They used to charge ridiculous prices for slow, inconvenient service. Now with extended warranties, and more complicated vehicles(VTM-4, pollen filter), they make even more money from doing basic service.

Sure, its a pain in the tush to change the oil, and properly discard the oil/filter, but it will be less expensive, quicker, and you know it was done right. Just keep your receipts.

Toyota didn't want to pay for the engine failure b/c they knew that it would cause a domino effect. Also, they didn't want to admit that TOYOTA:eek: engines fail occasionally.

·
Registered
10,732 Posts
I think if you use the dealer's fast lube lane, etc. and keep the book stamped for the major service as outlined in the owner's manual you are ok.
On the other hand, I am not going to the dealer for replacement tires, shocks, or alignments. Unless there is a probelm related to a manufacturer's defect. But not if those fall under normal wear items.

·
Registered
103 Posts
I think you also have to consider your long term plan. If the vehicle is leased or if you plan on trading it in after a few years, having the dealer do all the maintenance and "stamp the book" seems to add value to the vehicle. However, if you're going to "drive it into the ground" it is probably better to do all the work yourself. The $300 "major service" is really changing the oil, air filter and rotating the tires. Remember, we're talking about the same dealers that charge $200 for rear mudflaps you can buy from Tim for $40. Plus, the dealers will use the cheapest oil they can buy, not Mobil 1 or Amsoil that I put in my cars. By the time my MDX has 150k on it, the next buyer really won't care if I did the 5000 mile service at the dealer. From my experience, most people that buy used Acuras/Hondas are only concerned that you changed the timing belt around 100k miles.

·
Registered
715 Posts
If you read the article, sounds like Toyota might have a defect in the engine which causes sludge to build up. Probably why Toyota is trying to weasel its way out of paying for Maggie's engine, and a bunch of others as well!

But did you see how many miles Maggie put on her Sienna in ONE YEAR?? 29,000 miles! Yowsa!

I take my cars to dealers for major maintenance as well, just as Paul suggested. Another reason to consider dealers is that you are able to build some measure of customer loyalty. I have been able to hornswaggle free loaners, asking them to discount their pricing, etc., 'cause I tell them I give them all my business.

Doesn't work if you have an idiot dealer to begin with, tho! :mad:

·
Registered
20 Posts
frostyra said:

For whatever reason, when I access the article in the abovementioned link regarding the hapless Toyota owner, I can only see the first couple of paragraphs. Did Toyota ultimately pay for the damage?

If not, it seems to me that the question of whether or not 3rd party and do-it-yourself oil changes and other such maintenance voids the warranty remains unanswered. Some posters here say go for it, others say no way. Does a definitive answer exist, at least for Acura owners? I would think that 'definitive' would have to mean either a clear statement from Acura or some law on the books. Whaday'all think?

peace

1 - 9 of 9 Posts