Acura MDX SUV Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
138 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My friend recently showed me a new toy to make oil change easy. This tool include a wast oil container, a pump and a hose. To change oil, instead of through drain plug from the bottom, you take out the oil dipstick, push hose into the tube for dipstick. You push the hose until it reaches the buttom. Then start the hand pump which will suck the oil into the container. Then you bring the waste oil to recycle center.
So, there is no need to unscrew/screw the drain plug. For every few oil change, you also need to change the filter.
It is pretty easy to do oil change this way. However, I am curious if there is any drawback doing so?

·
Registered
10,732 Posts
There is always a question if the tube you insert in the dipstick opening will reach the lowest level of the oil pan. If it doesn't, then there is a chance a certain amount of dirty oil will remain in the pan.
And possibly it will be there with some solids that have settled (microscopic anyway).
When you open the drain plug, the oil washes the pan as it flows out, pretty much evacuating everything. And it's doing it quickly while it's still very hot.
Not just being sucked up a narrow tube over a period of several minutes.
There are also drain plug valves, that use a pin that is locked into a drain plug device. You never have to unscrew the plug again, just pull out the locking cotter pin, turn the valve and the oil drains out.
Again, the problem with these is that the oil drains through a much smaller hole than when the drain plug is removed. Is that really a problem? Maybe not, but then you might just run over something that will break that little valve right off. Sometimes it's just best to keep it simple, even if it's more messy. For the few bucks, you should be changing the filter with EVERY change.

·
Registered
1,321 Posts
It is so incredibly easy to just take out the drain plug, I can't see why one would take the 10-15-30 minutes to pump oil through a 1/8" ID tube that may or may not get the oil all out....

I've also never heard of anyone who doesn't change the filter with every oil change....

Ard

1 - 3 of 3 Posts