Acura MDX SUV Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Long story short…I took my 2002 Redrock X to the Hitch shop yesterday to have the standard Acura 4-pin electrical connector converted to a “5-plat” connector (required by my boat trailer). After spending ½ hour in the waiting area, I was approached by the store manager and was greeted by the words that all X owners have nightmares about….”sir, we had a problem….”. When my X was getting worked on, a loose piece of metal in the shop was caught by a gust of wind (why did they have the doors open??) and was tossed against the front passenger side of my X. Result >> several scratches and gouges to the front bumper cover (just below the passenger side headlight), and several scratches (with slight indentations) to the upper portion of the passener side door. The store manager was very apologetic and assured me that he would pay for the repairs. I was in shock and almost broke into tears as I drove my defiled X home from the hitch store. I spoke with my Acura dealer and they gave me the name & number of a body shop that specializes in vehicle damage “erasure.” I sure hope they’re good! The moral of my story >> be very careful in whom you trust the care of your X. :(

·
Registered
671 Posts
It's always reassuring when they actually tell you that the damage happens! Some less reputable people would've adopted the "what damage? where?" attitude. Still, I'm sorry to hear about your defiled MDX.

On my side of the street -- I'm my X's biggest enemy! I opened the driver's door and hit a bike in the garage (chipped the paint off the door edge), I backed into some bushes and must've hit a sign post (pretty deep scratches on the rear bumper on the driver's side), I opened the tailgate and caught a dead tree branch in it when I closed it (no noticeable scratches), I installed my own base carrier (roof rack) and put a one inch scratch on the top above the passenger's door. The odometer is at about 1200 miles.

Maybe it's time to give this thing to my wife and get my TL-S back, right?

:rolleyes:

·
Registered
715 Posts
mshrockford, this wouldn't be rockford, Il would it? Anyway, I feel your pain....it has happened to me, but in a car wash. "Huh, who, me?" "You musta had that dent in your car before you came in here buddy. No way I am paying for it" was the refrain.

While it is a killer to have it happen to you, like 2002 said, it is rare to find a shop who would be willing to own up to their guilt. If they come thru and pay for the damage, I would not hesitate to give them more business or recommend them to others.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
thanks for the comments

Thanks for the words of comfort. I picked-up my repainted MDX yesterday from the body shop that my local Acura dealership had recommended. The body shop did excellent work (they had to repaint the entire passenger door and front bumper cover). The color match is virtually perfect. Total cost was about $750. The hitch shop that was responsible for the damage paid the entire bill, plus paid for a rental car for the three days that my MDX was in the body shop. The rental car was a 2002 Infiniti QX4. While it was nice of the hitch shop to pay for a "comparable" rental car, I sure am glad to have my MDX back home. (The QX4 felt like a truck.) The one thing I did learn from this experience, and your comments, is that BSMs are almost essential for the MDX. I ordered mine from Tim at HondAcuraWorld yesterday and they're scheduled for delivery either today or tomorrow. I'll put the BSMs on this weekend and hopefully I can avoid some sratches in the future. Thanks again for your comments.

P.S. No, it's not Rockford, IL...it's Rockford, MI

·
Registered
671 Posts
Glad to hear things worked out so well. I still have a dent in my MDX that was caused (I think) my another MDX parked next to me. The dent repair guy seems to be a bit unreliable - the last time I spoke with him he said he'd fix it this week, probably monday or tuesday. Haven't heard from him since last week. Sometimes I get tired of waiting...

·
Registered
291 Posts
Another MDX hurt yours! Tell me it can't be.
I don't get the chance very often, but when I do see another X in a lot, I try to park next to it. I assume a fellow X owner appreciates finer things and would be careful.
Is nothing sacred?

·
Registered
47 Posts
I took my bride of 18 years to lunch with our two week old baby (MDX). Guess what happen? Someone in a white vehicle scrapped the entire passenger side. White on Redrock just doesn't go well together.

We are taking it in to the Acura shop tomorrow morning to have them look at it and see if they can fix it or recommend a good body shop.

First time that has happened in years. I thought my wife was either going to cry or hit something. Oh well, such is life.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Scratches

3M makes a great product called Perfect-It. However, this is not a wax or silicone based polish. It is best used to remove any swirling or fine scratches. I use this on occasion with a wheel buffer and you cannot get a finer polishing. I have not needed to use a wax as a result. The name on the bottle is: Perfect-It - Foam Polishing Pad Glaze and is content-specific depending on the color of your MDX. I have a Black MDX and therefore I have the polish designated for dark colored paints. This polish is recommended with the use of an electric buffer but I just use a soft cloth to apply it and is recommended not to apply this in the sun or when the paint is hot. This product was recommended to me by an auto body repair shop.

JK

1 - 8 of 8 Posts