Acura MDX SUV Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
394 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
On second look.

The rear picture of the tailgate and tail lights (second photo) resembles Mazda's CX9. Anyone else see that's?

·
Registered
1,616 Posts
It looks like Acura either removed captain chairs or added center folding bench seat on the 2nd row.

·
Registered
102 Posts
It looks like Acura either removed captain chairs or added center folding bench seat on the 2nd row.

The sliding second row is split 40/20/40 and the center section is removable, leaving two captain's chairs and improving access to the third row, which is still best for kids.

·
Registered
1,475 Posts
Yeah, looks great! Also, I'm glad Acura finally realized what should have happened three years ago with the third gen refresh in 2017: Double Wishbone front suspension and four piston brakes in Type S, panoramic roof, ambient lighting and good sound.

The rear picture of the tailgate and tail lights (second photo) resembles Mazda's CX9. Anyone else see that's?
All I can see is Volvo XC90.

·
Registered
394 Posts
Discussion Starter #6

The sliding second row is split 40/20/40 and the center section is removable, leaving two captain's chairs and improving access to the third row, which is still best for kids.
That's a good add-on feature.

A presume the 3rd is the same 60/40 split like my Gen3?

·
Registered
930 Posts
On second look.

Not just the tail. The front looks a lot like '20 Mazda CX9. Feels like its the new target for MDX.

I hope the final version and in-person it does look better, so far the new exterior design is boring.

Interior looks a lot better, I was hoping they would get away from the push button shifter, but no... still there and moved to center console.

I suppose the large pad is both for an arm rest and for scribe pad in-front, Audi-like style.

All-in-all, worth taking a look when it hits the dealership, but its far from being Radically Ambitious, IMO.

After 3 years owning and driving Volvo XC90 T6, I am still in favor of both its interior and exterior design over this although the current style is basically the same since 2016.

Just a couple of cents from an old timer and a previous gen (2000, 2005, and 2015) MDX owner.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Not just the tail. The front looks a lot like '20 Mazda CX9. Feels like its the new target for MDX.

View attachment 115605

I hope the final version and in-person it does look better, so far the new exterior design is boring.

Interior looks a lot better, I was hoping they would get away from the push button shifter, but no... still there and moved to center console.

View attachment 115606

I suppose the large pad is both for an arm rest and for scribe pad in-front, Audi-like style.

All-in-all, worth taking a look when it hits the dealership, but its far from being Radically Ambitious, IMO.

After 3 years owning and driving Volvo XC90 T6, I am still in favor of both its interior and exterior design over this although the current style is basically the same since 2016.

Just a couple of cents from an old timer and a previous gen (2000, 2005, and 2015) MDX owner.
The XC90 is nice no doubt but I can’t wrap my head around paying 70k+ for a 4 cylinder turbo no matter how many turbos or hybrid motors they attach to it.........Plus the fact there isn’t a 4 cylinder that I’ve ever driven that doesn’t feel like a 4 cylinder at some point no matter how much sound dampening material is used.........I have never been a fan of the XC90 interior and I defiantly don’t like everything going through the touch pad interface. I like the new Acura Design interior and exterior if they can keep the coats below something the XC90 it should be a winner.

·
Registered
110 Posts
Just received this in my email.

MDX Gen4 Photos

Pretty slick cockpit. A definite upgrade from Gen3's.
+1 on the upgrade comment. I don't know what took Acura so long, but this is a definite improvement over the Gen 3 effort, and aligns the MDX with its competitors, so far. I say so far, because auto development is a moving target, and I haven't seen any info on what competitors will have in place when the MDX Gen 4 is finally released for sale. Hopefully it won't be dated already in comparison.

IMHO, Acura's selling points historically have been performance, value and reliability. I don't think Gen 3 moved that particular needle much, and the Type S suspension and other upgrades are a welcome return to Acura's roots. I only hope the double wishbone suspension is offered on down-market trims, and that we finally get the reliability I experienced in my '91 Legend LS and '09 MDX. Oh, and a rear-wheel bias for performance wouldn't hurt either.

·
Registered
2,515 Posts
I can't wait to see what tech come with each trim level, specs, pricing, and accessories. I like the rear Acura emblem near the wiper that is blacked out in-between the chrome. My wish list for upgrades for things like ventilated 2nd row seats, more driver's leg room (I'm 6'3"), front passenger memory seats OR one touch up/back, and wireless carplay.

I will check out once the MDX gets to my local dealership. Probably won't be serious about upgrading until the MMC in 2024-2025 (waiting for a Sport Hybrid or plug-in hybrid).

·
Registered
1,616 Posts
I can't wait to see what tech come with each trim level, specs, pricing, and accessories. I like the rear Acura emblem near the wiper that is blacked out in-between the chrome. My wish list for upgrades for things like ventilated 2nd row seats, more driver's leg room (I'm 6'3"), front passenger memory seats OR one touch up/back, and wireless carplay.
By looking at the photo, it seems like there will be memory seats for front passenger.

Reactions: mrgold35

·
Registered
2,515 Posts
Looks like 3 positions passenger memory seats (one for me, one for the wife, and another for nappy time on the road).

·
Registered
930 Posts
The XC90 is nice no doubt but I can’t wrap my head around paying 70k+ for a 4 cylinder turbo no matter how many turbos or hybrid motors they attach to it.........Plus the fact there isn’t a 4 cylinder that I’ve ever driven that doesn’t feel like a 4 cylinder at some point no matter how much sound dampening material is used...
I am not here to convince anyone that XC90 is a better vehicle. It's a matter of choice and personal preference. All I can say is my driving experience for past 3 years was by far superior to all previous MDXs. I always leased my vehicles and the price difference was less than $30/month, which to me was negligible. However, ride, comfort, and quality of materials used all-around, and, yes -- a sporty performance of that 4 cylinder (both turbo and supercharged) that never feels sluggish even when hauling 7 people + luggage for 2+ hours to the Poconos mountains yet average 20 mpg vs 15-16 mpg before -- all this left no comparison to Acura's (worn out leather seats and leaking mirrors in 2001-2005 models, hard knocking noises over bumps and pulling left in all models except for 2011 -- best MDX IMO).

Laughable, but the biggest turnoff for me in MDX was an introduction of a push-button shifter, so that thing in the center console dropped my interest by 20% immediately. However, I am still looking forward to test-driving it if its comes to the mainstream dealerships next spring and, like others, keeping fingers crossed.

·
Registered
15 Posts

View attachment 115605

View attachment 115606

[/QUOT

I have an 18 mdx and recently bought my wife a 2020 RDX. Looks like the same info system. The top arrow is the gear selector module, the lower is a wrist rest for the touch pad. I am an old guy and although very ''geeky'' I am not totally sold on this concept. Some things can be quite cumbersome and ''iffy''. One thing the new RDX has with Advance (it should be on all of them) is headup display. I will not buy another car without it. Absolutely fantastic and a great asset. I am keen to try the 2022 MDX with a 355 hp turbo v6, due out soon. They seem to have skipped the 2021.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Just received this in my email.

MDX Gen4 Photos

Pretty slick cockpit. A definite upgrade from Gen3's.
It is a nice package all around, and has some differences with the 2019. It seems that Honda is using the electronic cockpit with many of their vehicles these days. Personally, I think that the analog gages are a little classier than the digital stuff.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts