Acura MDX SUV Forums banner

1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
2,629 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Sep 19, 2017 - TORRANCE, Calif.
New MDX gets a refreshed dual-screen user interface with enhanced 7-inch capacitive touchscreen display and 30 percent faster response time
Standard Apple CarPlay™ support, Android Auto™ compatibility (both new for 2018) and standard AcuraWatch™ safety and driver assist features make MDX among the best-equipped vehicles in its segment
Expanded color palette adds sporty and sophisticated red hues
The powerful and sophisticated 2018 Acura MDX luxury SUV begins arriving at Acura dealerships tomorrow with a faster, more capable and modern user interface, vivid new colors and a Manufacturer’s Suggested Retail Price (MSRP)1 starting at $44,200, just $150 more than the outgoing model. The Acura MDX is the best-selling three-row luxury SUV of all time3 and has been recognized by Edmunds.com as the “Most Wanted Luxury Midsize SUV” (2017) and as “Best Luxury Three-Row SUV for the Money” (2017) by U.S. News & World Report.

For 2018, the Acura MDX features a redesigned dual-screen user interface(ODMD 2.0) with more intuitive menus and command structures complemented by a new 7-inch capacitive touchscreen (previously resistive type) with a 30-percent faster response time. It includes support for Apple CarPlay™, which seamlessly integrates compatible iPhones in the car, allowing users to get directions optimized for traffic, make calls, send and receive messages, and listen to music. It also supports Android Auto™ compatibility – putting some of the most useful Android phone apps on the MDX's display.

Two new eye-catching exterior colors expand the MDX color palette for 2018: Basque Red, available on base and Technology trims, and sporty San Marino Red on Advance trims.

Powertrain

The 2018 Acura MDX features a 3.5-liter direct-injected i-VTEC® 24-valve V6 engine rated at 290 peak horsepower (SAE net) and 267 lb.-ft. peak torque (SAE net) and is available in front-wheel drive or with Acura’s signature Super Handling-All Wheel Drive™ (SH-AWD®) system. The MDX with front-wheel drive and Idle Stop (included with Advance package) has an EPA fuel economy rating of 20 mpg city/27 highway/23 combined2, while the MDX with Super Handling-All Wheel Drive™ (SH-AWD®) and Idle Stop (included with Advance package) is EPA rated at 19 mpg city/26 highway/22 combined2.

The 2018 Acura MDX Sport Hybrid Super Handling-All Wheel Drive™ (SH-AWD®) model receives the same updates as the conventional MDX and will go on sale this winter. The MDX Sport Hybrid is the newest model in Acura's lineup to utilize its revolutionary three-motor Sport Hybrid powertrain with electric torque vectoring, joining the NSX supercar and RLX Sport Hybrid as the third member of the Acura family to benefit from this proprietary technology.

2018 MDX Pricing and EPA Fuel Economy Ratings

Trim
MSRP1

EPA MPG Rating2 (city/highway/combined)

MDX (FWD)

$44,200

19/27/22

MDX (FWD) with Technology Package

$48,600

19/27/22

MDX (FWD) with Technology and Entertainment Packages

$50,600

19/27/22

MDX (FWD) with Advance Package

$54,650

20/27/23

MDX (FWD) with Advance & Entertainment Packages

$56,650

20/27/23

MDX (SH-AWD)

$46,200

18/26/21

MDX (SH-AWD) with Technology Package

$50,600

18/26/21

MDX (SH-AWD) with Technology & Entertainment Packages

$52,600

18/26/21

MDX (SH-AWD) with Advance Package

$56,650

19/26/22

MDX (SH-AWD) with Advance & Entertainment Packages

$58,650

19/26/22

Premium Features
The 2018 MDX offers a broad range of standard and available comfort and convenience features including an available Surround-View Camera System (a Multi-Angle Rearview Camera is standard), heated steering wheel, Smart Entry Keyless Access System and push-button start. The 2018 Acura MDX Technology and Advance packages add two 20-inch wheel and tire options, Bi-Directional Keyless Remote Engine Start, power folding side mirrors and HD Traffic.

In addition, the Advance grades include LED fog lights, genuine wood interior trim, a heated steering wheel and a Surround-View Camera System with six selectable viewing angles. Advance models can also be equipped with two second-row captain's chairs and a center console with two additional USB ports for third-row passengers. An ultra-widescreen Rear Entertainment System is also available on models with the Advance Entertainment Package.

Standard Safety and Driver Assistive Technology
Similar to other Acura models, the 2018 Acura MDX offers the AcuraWatch™ suite of advanced safety and driver-assistive technologies as standard equipment, which includes Collision Mitigation Braking System™ (CMBS™), Lane Departure Warning (LDW), Forward Collision Warning (FCW), Lane Keeping Assist (LKAS), Adaptive Cruise Control (ACC) with low-speed follow and Road Departure Mitigation (RDM). The 2018 Acura MDX earned a 5-Star NCAP overall vehicle score from the National Highway and Traffic Safety Administration (NHTSA) and is expected to earn a TOP SAFETY PICK rating from the Insurance Institute for Highway Safety (IIHS).

The 2018 MDX was designed and developed in the U.S. and is produced exlusively at the company’s East Liberty, Ohio manufacturing center using domestic and globally-sourced parts.

About Acura
Acura is a leading automotive luxury nameplate that delivers Precision Crafted Performance, an original approach to technology and design that creates a new driving experience. The Acura lineup features six distinctive models – the RLX premium luxury sedan, the TLX performance luxury sedan, the ILX sport sedan, the 5-passenger RDX luxury crossover SUV, the seven-passenger Acura MDX, America's all-time best-selling three-row luxury SUV3 and the next-generation, electrified NSX supercar as the pinnacle expression of Acura Precision Crafted Performance.

For More Information
Additional media information including pricing, features and high-resolution photography is available at acuranews.com/channels/acura-automobiles.

Consumer information is available at www.acura.com. To join the Acura community on Facebook, visit facebook.com/Acura.
Credit: Posted by AZUser on AZine
Source: http://acuranews.com/channels/acura-automobiles/releases/2018-acura-mdx-brings-updated-tech-and-sporty-colors-a-perennial-best-seller-gets-even-stronger and http://hondanews.com/releases/2018-acura-mdx-brings-updated-tech-and-sporty-colors-a-perennial-best-seller-gets-even-stronger

Ahh boo this is really a repost of the info in the other 2018 thread sorry.

Attachments

·
Registered
3,107 Posts
Thanks for posting that Neoshi.

The Carplay/Auto and infotainment responsiveness improvement should satisfy many people - particularly the ones who have complained about the current infotainment system.

·
Registered
114 Posts
Do u guys think buying 2018 will be worth it??
Looks like the design is not going to change for next 3 or 4 yrs....
I have a 2014 mdx Tech fwd with 28k miles

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
10 Posts
I've been waiting for the 2018's to hit the lots in hopes of getting a better deal on a 2017. Car Play is totally overrated IMO. Not worth spending an extra few thousand for. Aside from Car Play/Android Auto, there aren't any other notable changes between the 2017/2018's, right?

·
Registered
19 Posts
I've been waiting for the 2018's to hit the lots in hopes of getting a better deal on a 2017. Car Play is totally overrated IMO. Not worth spending an extra few thousand for. Aside from Car Play/Android Auto, there aren't any other notable changes between the 2017/2018's, right?
Hondas only talked about the new info display systems and two new colors.

·
Registered
3,107 Posts
Do u guys think buying 2018 will be worth it??
Looks like the design is not going to change for next 3 or 4 yrs....
I have a 2014 mdx Tech fwd with 28k miles
In your case - definitely not. Your vehicle is still practically new. You've ridden the steepest part of the depreciation curve down already and there's no need to climb back up and take the steep plunge in value again.

I also have a 2014 with around 30K miles and there's no way I'd get rid of it at this point in favor of a 2018, whether it has a nicer infotainment system and a few other things or not. It makes no financial sense to get rid of such a current and low mileage vehicle for a vehicle that's almost identical to what you already have.

For people interested in buying a vehicle in the MDX category and wanting to buy soon, the 2018 looks like it'll be a contender.

As for chasing the ever-looming 'next' thing with later model year changes - that will go on endlessly - you need to pick an appropriate time and pull the trigger when the timing's right for your desires. There will always be new, better, and/or different things in future model years.

·
Registered
114 Posts
In your case - definitely not. Your vehicle is still practically new. You've ridden the steepest part of the depreciation curve down already and there's no need to climb back up and take the steep plunge in value again.

I also have a 2014 with around 30K miles and there's no way I'd get rid of it at this point in favor of a 2018, whether it has a nicer infotainment system and a few other things or not. It makes no financial sense to get rid of such a current and low mileage vehicle for a vehicle that's almost identical to what you already have.

For people interested in buying a vehicle in the MDX category and wanting to buy soon, the 2018 looks like it'll be a contender.

As for chasing the ever-looming 'next' thing with later model year changes - that will go on endlessly - you need to pick an appropriate time and pull the trigger when the timing's right for your desires. There will always be new, better, and/or different things in future model years.

Thanks for clarification and a great advise...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2,252 Posts

You're right,it makes no financial sense. Fortunately that has never stopped me.

·
Registered
23 Posts
If Acura cannot just update the older system, do you think they will let us pay to upgrade the dual screen system? The current one is just too slow.

·
Registered
19 Posts
If Acura cannot just update the older system, do you think they will let us pay to upgrade the dual screen system? The current one is just too slow.
I don't think Acura would allow that. They haven't done retrofits in the past, so I don't think they would start now.

·
Registered
2,629 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
It's hard to say but I've seen at least one dealership offer the retrofit work to a tlx owner who wanted to do the same. The cost was about $1k but the hardware itself seemed cheap enough.

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk

·
Registered
23 Posts
It's hard to say but I've seen at least one dealership offer the retrofit work to a tlx owner who wanted to do the same. The cost was about $1k but the hardware itself seemed cheap enough.

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk
That's good to know. $1k seems reasonable for the upgrade.

·
Registered
3,107 Posts
$1k seems reasonable for the upgrade.
I think it'd be nice to have the Carplay/Auto functionality but I don't think it's worth anywhere close to $1K over what already exists - but that's just me. Although it'd be nicer, I still already have mapping, music, streaming functions, etc. with the Acura system.

I'm almost certain there will be no way to apply the 2018 change to pre-2018 vehicles. In might be possible to do some swapping if the form factor and cables are identical from the pre-2018 to the 2018 but I wouldn't be surprised if there are differences there and regardless, it'd be an expensive proposition. In addition, the factory warranty would almost certainly not apply to such a cobbled-up change so that could be an issue in an expensive system like this.

For, me I'll wait for when I decide to replace my 2014 MDX, which will likely be some years from now, and then do a new evaluation of what's available. I'm happy with the MDX so whatever similar vehicle Acura has at the time will probably be a contender but it's unknown yet what other manufacturers will have or if I'll even like what Acura has at the time I want to replace my current vehicle. If I was in the market now though, the 2018 MDX would likely be right at the top of the list. If I was planning on getting a new vehicle right this second, I'd try to wait a bit for the 2018.

·
Registered
869 Posts
I guess if the current infotainment system makes you rue the day you decided to buy an MDX, and the revised system could significantly enhance your satisfaction with said vehicle, then maybe upgrading from a current 3rd-gen could be justified. The current system could certainly be better. If I were to make the plunge, it would be into a 2018 sport hybrid with the new infotainment and a new drivetrain. But the lack of towing capability is holding me back. And the push-button shifter, which I dislike almost as much as the 9-speed transmission it's attached to in my current ride.

I'm surprised any dealer would mess with mismatching major components across model years. Usually dealers have a pathological aversion to modifications of any kind. Would you have to return to that dealer for service involving the FrankenMDX?

·
Registered
695 Posts
I just don't get the fascination of having a phone dictate most of your life...that said, y'all carrry on..

·
Registered
10 Posts
I just don't get the fascination of having a phone dictate most of your life...that said, y'all carrry on..
I agree with this. I don't understand what all the hype is about the Car Play/Android Auto. I don't know too much about the Android version because I've had an iPhone for years and don't plan on changing so I don't care. But I test drove the Pilot thinking I'd really like the Car Play feature but it's just not worth it. If I could run Google Maps that would be a whole other story and would possibly sway me but I just don't get the obsession.

I'd so much rather use this opportunity to get a better deal on the out going model. But to each their own.

·
Registered
869 Posts
I'd so much rather use this opportunity to get a better deal on the out going model. But to each their own.
Better deal up front, but perhaps lower resale value down the road given the steady assimilation of our younger generations into The Collective. Of course, if you plan to drive it until the wheels fall off, that's a non-issue.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Better deal up front, but perhaps lower resale value down the road given the steady assimilation of our younger generations into The Collective. Of course, if you plan to drive it until the wheels fall off, that's a non-issue.
Are you saying a 2018 model would have better resale later on? I thought the only changes with the 2018 was the infotainment and the new colors?

We don't buy new cars often, so I'd see us having this vehicle for 7-8 years at the least. I've had my Civic now for over 6 years and it's not being used as a trade in. Still keeping it as a commuter for my husband.

1 - 20 of 37 Posts