Acura MDX SUV Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1,598 Posts
Uh, what is AKER, and should this be on Tinder or Ashley Madison or something? :confused:

( Spoken as a married old fart who is ignorant of such things... )
:laugh:

AKER is the US stock symbol for Akers Biosciences Inc for which Mr. 2011BlackUbmMDX had casually mentioned (to me) in another thread here a couple days ago...

2011BlackUbmMDX, YES I did buy in on January 16, but instead of the $1000 initial investment I had planned on, I placed an $1500 order which netted me about 7200+ shares altogether.

AKER has been pretty active since then as you're well aware...fast forward to this morning, that $1500 investment is now worth about $2173.91 (thank you btw!)

....at the same time, there's certainly no celebration for me as this was added to my ROTH IRA, so assuming I stand pat on this position and it sit on it until I'm actually at an eligible age to withdraw (without incurring the IRS early withdrawal penalty- which for me is still more than 25 years from now :crying2: ) I won't really know if this was a good move or not? :surprise:

...but what the hell, sometimes (esp. with investing) you just gotta roll the hard six, and then sit back and watch :29:

*on a side note, today I will be taking the plunge into another individual stock- SGMO Sangamo Therapeutics Inc....alot of risk here, but the potential upside is very much worth it IMO....I might add one more stock to my IRA, but that's about it after that, everything else will be mutual funds.

·
Registered
1,952 Posts
You're actively investing IRA funds into individual companies??? Thats... risky.

I'll stick with my target-date index-based mutual funds for my retirement accounts.

I do have a taxable brokerage account where I have played with a few specific stocks -- and a leveraged mutual fund; but even then, most of my brokerage assets are in index-based mutual funds.

I guess time will tell who wins. But I've always believed that diversification is the key to managing risk... And index funds do a superior job of diversification when compared to purchasing individual stocks. Index funds also help reduce trading costs.

·
Registered
1,598 Posts
You're actively investing IRA funds into individual companies??? Thats... risky.

I'll stick with my target-date index-based mutual funds for my retirement accounts.

I do have a taxable brokerage account where I have played with a few specific stocks -- and a leveraged mutual fund; but even then, most of my brokerage assets are in index-based mutual funds.

I guess time will tell who wins. But I've always believed that diversification is the key to managing risk... And index funds do a superior job of diversification when compared to purchasing individual stocks. Index funds also help reduce trading costs.
I concur 100%, however individual stocks only comprise about 3.25% of my entire ROTH portfolio (most of which is invested in growth mutual funds)...the key benefit of having a few stocks in a Roth IRA stems from the fact that any and all gains on the assets within the account are completely 100% tax free! (even when you withdraw them i.e. after age 59 & 1/2)

On the topic of diversification- it's definitely wise IMHO to have a few (winner stocks) in your retirement account...this is especially true for a ROTH- where the overall objective is to look for investments that will appreciate in value the most for your Roth IRA....:nerd:

·
Registered
1,598 Posts
AMD is looking good. Will add more AKER under 0.25

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
hmmmmm, AMD looks too risky for me....:crying2:

a good play back in the early 2000's, but what do I know....:laugh:

if I'm gonna invest in risky picks, I'm going to focus on biotech (gene therapy etc.) and electric cars (GAC will be invading the USA in 2019 with Tesla like cars with a China-like price tag making it affordable for the average every day Joe).

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.