3. 3x3 PS steering fluid flush
4. Replaced drive belt
5. Replaced drive belt tensioner
6. Replaced cabin and element air filters
7. Fixed broken rear right door actuator
8. Fixed stuck EGR valve. See picture.
9. Replaced wiper blades

Time to go back home!

Stuck carbon on EGR valve. The carbon got pushed and got stuck when I did a high acceleration on the interstate. I got rough idle when stopped and got TDC P0301, 302, 303,....306

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
961 Posts
It's an old phrase meaning running the engine hard to free up and hopefully blow out any soft carbon in the engine (Valves, combustion chamber, piston crown).

In the bad old days of automotive history (roughly before 1960), crude engine design, poor quality fuels and lubricants, and rich fuel mixtures created enough carbon deposits that the cylinder heads often had to be removed every 20K miles or so to do a manual decarbon job.

·
Registered
2,522 Posts
My experience is not really running engine hard for a long time. Instead, it is the sudden depress of gas pedal from the top all the way to the floor that helped. Kind of like acceleration vs. speed.

Once I had an old car with clogged IAC valve that could not start. Doing this allowed me to start the car and determined the problem. It actually worked for me.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.