Acura MDX SUV Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
4,699 Posts
Have you checked out another forum line Acurazine? They have discussions on every Acura going back to 1996. I've been a member since 2006 when I got my TSX.

·
Registered
961 Posts
Most purge valves operate on 12 volts. If you apply 12 volts directly from the battery, the valve should open. It will not hold vacuum if you use a vacuum pump to test it. You can also just blow into it, and air should pass through.

The valve should close when you disconnect power. It should hold vacuum, or not allow you to blow through it. If it passes this test it is good and you need to look elsewhere for your leak.

https://youtu.be/t8WmeYQYWYM

You can probably get a used or aftermarket part for less than genuine.

·
Banned
2,894 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Most purge valves operate on 12 volts. If you apply 12 volts directly from the battery, the valve should open. It will not hold vacuum if you use a vacuum pump to test it. You can also just blow into it, and air should pass through.

The valve should close when you disconnect power. It should hold vacuum, or not allow you to blow through it. If it passes this test it is good and you need to look elsewhere for your leak.

https://youtu.be/t8WmeYQYWYM

You can probably get a used or aftermarket part for less than genuine.

I just removed the purge valve and tried to blow with my mouth and it shot closed, no air going through. I didn’t check with the 12 vdc connected.

So the purge valve works as follow?
1. Valve closes when there 0 voltage
2 valve opens when there is a 12 vdc

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Banned
2,894 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I just removed the purge valve and tried to blow with my mouth and it shot closed, no air going through. I didn’t check with the 12 vdc connected.

When I installed the valve back and disconnected the connector and started the car I got CEL and disconnected the battery the CEL is cleared. This tell me that if the purge valve is bad or always close I should always get a CEL but I never get a CEL unless I disconnected the connector.

·
Registered
961 Posts

1. Correct on the operation.

2. Do yourself a favor and buy a real OBD2 scanner. Lots of well reviewed units on Amazon.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.