Acura MDX SUV Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Banned
2,894 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi. When I was changing the ATF fluid I removed this plastic cover under the transmission and stripped or broke the bolt in 1/2 and the other 1/2 got stuck. The only I can think of to hold the plastic cover securely is to use a metal coat hanger to tie it down. Any other suggestions?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,952 Posts
Don't ghetto-rig it... The proper solution is to remove the broken fastener and replace it.

There are lots of ways to remove a broken fastener, depending on what access you have and how it broke. Do you have a picture you can share?

I broke a caliper bolt a couple weeks ago -- twisted the head clean off. The shaft of the bolt was still inside the bracket, and nothing was sticking out so I used a small chisel and a hammer and was able to impact/rotate it out a couple threads to the point I could get a vise grip on the end and spin it the rest of the way out.

If the bolt is broken too deep to use the chisel trick, then you can drill into the bolt shaft and try to use an easy-out bit. Worst case scenario you drill the entire bolt shaft out and run a tap to clean up the threads.

·
Banned
2,894 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I can see the the other end of the bolt is still sticking out. It is so cold right now in Boston 5-18F and don’t want to crawl underneath the car . When I removed the bolt I could felt very tight resistance all the way and then it snapped lose about a 1/4 way out.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,952 Posts
If it's physically protruding, you should be able to use a plier or vise grip to grab the shaft and twist it out.

·
Registered
1,346 Posts
For future references, there is no need to remove plastic shroud to change trans oil.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.