Acura MDX SUV Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
131 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am looking for OEM wheel/tire/tpms options for my 2010 Tech. This is for a 2nd set of wheels for winters or summers depending on what rims I find. Ideally the tpms would match and diameter would not change. Here is what I have tired so far:

2007 Honda Ridgeline 17". Diameter was larger, but the tires fit fine. TPMS did not work.
2012 Honda Pilot 17". Diameter was the same, fit was good and the TPMS DID work.

What else will work/fit?

·
Registered
162 Posts
I suspect that TPSM for a Ridgeline / Pilot etc.... are simply not compatible for our MDX..they need to be specific.

I did the same as what you are presently trying to accomplish last summer.. i.e. looking for a set of winter rims and rubber, and the wanted to include the TPSM.. [ incidentally my Chevy's winter set had no TPSM, and the warning light was on all winter... not ideal.. shall we say.]

I did find on eBay a re-seller [in FL.] of used TPSM that will match what is you need for your MDX.
Worked like a charm..!! :)

j.

·
Registered
869 Posts
You can go to a site like oemacuraparts and get the Honda part number for the Tire Pressure Monitoring System ( TPMS ) sensors, then compare with other Honda/Acura models. There are different transmission frequencies, and also more subtle compatibility issues. Some "generic" third-party sensors need to be programmed to be compatible, and a tire shop can do that. TPMS sensors have come down in cost since they were first introduced, but progress comes at the expense of compatibility. It's a long shot to get a complete set of "takeoff" wheels/tires/TPMS sensors that will be compatible, IMO. Best chance is same-generation Pilot or MDX, as you already found. Next best bet may be other Honda/Acura models from the same time frame.

·
Registered
131 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
My first choice would be a set of Advance wheels tires and tpms. They are tough to find. What about 3rd gen Mdx? Will they be 100% compatible with the 2.5 gen?

What about other oems? I heard BMW X5 wheels and tires bolt on with no issues. I know the tpms would not work.

·
Registered
869 Posts
Looks like 3rd-gen MDX uses a different sensor. 2010-2013 MDX and 2012-2015 Pilot use the same sensor. You could go to Tire Rack and try to figure out what's different, or just give them a call and ask about compatible sensors ( they sell complete tire/wheel sets with sensors, but they won't be OEM wheels ). Another option is various sites that sell refinished OEM wheels or replica wheels. HubcapHaven is one such site. Hubcaps Hubcap Wheelcovers Hub Caps Rims Wheels

TPMS_1.jpeg

TPMS_2.jpeg

TPMS_3.jpeg

TPMS_4.jpeg

TPMS_5.jpeg

TPMS_6.jpeg

·
Registered
1,651 Posts
3rd gen MDX wheels do not have same bolt pattern. I bought a set of OEM 2nd gen MDX wheels with original sensors off Craigslist a few years ago. They were curb-rashed and such but good enough for winter tires. I'm thinking about plasti-dipping them this year since they're starting to look a little worn. searchtempest lets you search all areas of craigslist. I have pretty good luck with that if you don't mind traveling a bit to find something. Facebook marketplace is pretty good source as well.

·
Registered
131 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
So for bolt on wheels that match bolt pattern, offset, overall diam and tpms the options are:

2007-2013 Mdx
2012-2015 Honda Pilot

Anything else?

1 - 8 of 8 Posts