Acura MDX SUV Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
We are looking into becoming RV people, and we want to get the OEM tow package that includes a hitch, the transmission cooler and the wiring harness for the electronic break controller. What I can't seem to figure out is: compatibility / rating of the OEM hitch for a weight distribution system. Does anyone out there have the full specs (not just dimensions) for the hitch? It should hopefully say something like: "Compatible with Weight Distribution" (or not).

Thanks!

it's a 2016 SH-AWD

·
Registered
115 Posts
It's rated for 5000 lbs trailer weight / 500 lbs tongue weight
your MDX is designed to tow without the need for a weight distribution hitch according owner's manual
your hitch should not drop more than 2 5/8" when loaded.

I used a weight distribution hitch anyway to have the car and trailer more level. It just hooks into a regular 2" receiver. a 2" hitch is a 2" hitch, there's no compatibility issue.

·
Registered
115 Posts
you'll need to buy a tongue/ball for the weight distribution hitch if it doesn't come with one.
but it should come with one that just goes into the 2" receiver.

factory tongue, like all other regular ones can not accept the bars

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Do you have the OEM hitch? If so, what weight distribution system (WDS) do you use?

It's my (internet-research-based) understanding, that while a WDS may physically fit with a given hitch system (into the receiver), the hitch might not be structurally capable of handling the forces that a WDS would place on it.

·
Registered
115 Posts
Do you have the OEM hitch? If so, what weight distribution system (WDS) do you use?

It's my (internet-research-based) understanding, that while a WDS may physically fit with a given hitch system (into the receiver), the hitch might not be structurally capable of handling the forces that a WDS would place on it.
I have the OEM hitch with Reese round bar
according to the user manual, WDS is okay if set up properly.

·
Registered
115 Posts
From Acura Owners Manual
■ Weight distribution hitches
Your vehicle is designed to tow without the need for a load distributing hitch. If you
wish to use one, please consult your trailer maker for proper installation and set-up.
Improper set-up could degrade the handling, stability, and braking performance of
your vehicle.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts