Acura MDX SUV Forums banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
666 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Driver 1 fob works fine and remote starts the car. It works as expected.

Driver 2 Fob oddly blinks red when the lock button is pushed and then when the engine start button is pressed it immediately blinks red like it’s an error. (It doesn’t blink orange at all. Goes right to red no matter how close I am to the vehicle.

When I press lock on it blinks red but doesn’t lock the car. When I press lock twice it locks the car.
When I press unlock it unlocks the car.
All keyless functions work.

The only change was when my mechanic had it he said the battery was weak and he had to replace the battery.

I know 100% sure the remote start worked because my Wife keeps her fob (driver 1) in her purse and uses the driver 2 fob to auto start the car which she did that morning when I dropped it off to the mechinc.

I just called the mechanic and he’s saying all he did was change the battery.

any ideas what may have caused this with that battery change?

·
Registered
666 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Bumping this back up to see if anyone knows what this can be? The shop is playing the “all I did was change the battery game” I’ve changed the battery before on both fobs and I didn’t have this issue.

·
Registered
450 Posts
By mechanic do you mean an Acura Dealer or a private mechanic?
Sounds like fob2 is either defective or the car needs to reauthorize fob2.

·
Registered
666 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
By mechanic do you mean an Acura Dealer or a private mechanic?
Sounds like fob2 is either defective or the car needs to reauthorize fob2.
Independent mechanic. All the functions of the FOB work except for the remote start.

I know 100% sure it worked before I gave it to the mechanic. I am not sure why changing a battery would mess this up. The only thing I can think of is him jamming a screw driver in there to open it up and possibly damaged something.

·
Registered
450 Posts
You allowed someone to change the fob battery? Why???
Like I already said, take it to your Acura dealer and have them check it out. Might be as simple as reprogram the car.

·
Registered
666 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
You allowed someone to change the fob battery? Why???
Like I already said, take it to your Acura dealer and have them check it out. Might be as simple as reprogram the car.
I didn’t “allow” the mechanic said the battery was dead on the fob and he changed it. He didn’t make me aware until after he did it. It wasn’t dead for me and I know the signs of when the remote battery is starting to die.

I come here for help to avoid going to the dealer, like many of us do. If all you’re going to say is ”go to the dealer” then maybe it’s best you don’t say anything if you can’t otherwise be useful. your comments are not helpful.

·
Registered
450 Posts
A dealer is the oly one with the tools needed to fix your issue. You dont want to go to the dealer, fine, your loss

·
Registered
666 Posts
Discussion Starter #10 (Edited)
why didn't you change the batteries? Why not go get two and try replacing them both.
I replaced them both about 3 or 4 months ago. I actually replaced all my fob and remote batteries for all my cars at the same time. It’s possible the battery failed quicker than it should have. For it to error like this it feels like the mechanic may have had the button leaning on something and maybe it reset somehow.

it’s just odd that everything but the remote starting works. I’ve already swapped out the batteries between the fobs and no go. Fob 1 works, Fob 2 doesn’t.

I know the remote start was working when I gave it to him, when he gave it back it did not work and he changed the battery without my approval so one would think they did something to it. Of course all he is saying is he changed the battery.

I do think this is a result of them not handling the fob appropriately.

I’ll swing by on Monday and see what’s up.

·
Registered
666 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
A dealer is the oly one with the tools needed to fix your issue. You dont want to go to the dealer, fine, your loss
I know this - we all know this. I can buy a new fob and they can program it - we all know this.

I am trying to determine what caused this. I obviously want my mechanic to pony up for paying Acura to fix it and knowing what causes this can help with this.

·
Registered
712 Posts
have you tried going into the car menu to see if the remote start has a setting for each fob? I have a remote start but I turned it off in the car menu.

·
Registered
2,238 Posts
I had almost the same issue when I couldn't remote start my 19 MDX Adv to warm up the vehicle in a parking lot downtown. I kept getting the "no-go" red light on the fob after I did the remote start procedures. I thought I was just out of range and kept trying as I moved towards the MDX until I was standing beside the vehicle and still no-go. Got home and just tried it one more time and the MDX started as normal. I don't know what conditions caused the remote start not to work 20 minutes earlier?

·
Registered
2,238 Posts
Be sure to lock it first.using the remote. That is one of the steps.
I locked first and then remote start second. It just wouldn't work at the hotel; but, it worked perfectly fine the 1st time I tried at home 15 minutes late.

·
Registered
458 Posts
Our #2 fob (mine) usually takes a few tries to get the car to unlock or lock. It won’t start the car unless I hold against the start button. I’ve read it’s a known issue. Some people on this board panic a go to the dealer for dust particles on the dash, but it’s just not that big a deal to waste all that time since I’m not the primary driver. Once I go for recall repair I will have them review.

·
Registered
34 Posts
I find that the remote Starter has a very working distance. My only beef with it is that no lights come on the car to indicate that you have started the car. My other cars with RS always illuminated parking and brake lights or some combination of that.

·
Registered
53 Posts
As a new owner of 16 mdx had the same issues with getting the remote working. Took it to the dealer at a cost of $85.00 just to tell me basically nothing is wrong. All I do now is press the lock button once wait for green light and press and hold the engine start button wait for green light to come on. I found the 07 mdx remote much better than 2016.

·
Registered
666 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
My issue was a defective control module. They replaced the module and gave me a new drive 2 Fob. No cost to me :)

·
Registered
127 Posts
I had almost the same issue when I couldn't remote start my 19 MDX Adv to warm up the vehicle in a parking lot downtown. I kept getting the "no-go" red light on the fob after I did the remote start procedures. I thought I was just out of range and kept trying as I moved towards the MDX until I was standing beside the vehicle and still no-go. Got home and just tried it one more time and the MDX started as normal. I don't know what conditions caused the remote start not to work 20 minutes earlier?
When I’ve had this experience it’s always been because there was another fob already in the car. Happens once in a while when my wife and I go somewhere and she leaves her purse with her keys in the car when we park it. Remote start won’t work if there is a fob in the car.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts