Acura MDX SUV Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all! New to the forum and Acura family. Recently picked up a very clean low mileage 2014 MDX Tech. Like it so far but I'm used to remote start for Illinois winters and this one doesn't have it. I've seen several posts about oemacuraparts.com and I will likely go that route to get the oem setup. I have no issues installing it myself but I know that the new key fobs need to be programmed locally.

I stopped by the Acura dealership where I bought it and was quoted $145 to program the fobs - that is ridiculous. I've gotten an email from them about the oem system and it said "quick 1 hour install". So there is no way the programming takes an hour!

What is a typical price for programming new fobs? I'm in suburban Chicago if anyone has had it done in the area.

·
Registered
2,614 Posts
If you install it yourself,they will get you one way or another. They said a quick 1 hour install. Did they tell you how much?

·
Registered
353 Posts
Acura really has us over the barrel so bend over.

When I bought the car, I negotiated into the deal that the dealer would program extra fobs that I purchased separately into the system for no cost.

You can call around and see what other Stealership will charge to program them. I am not sure if other non-OEM shops have the Acura computers. Literally takes the tech 5 less than minutes to plug in their computer and do it.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Hi all! New to the forum and Acura family. Recently picked up a very clean low mileage 2014 MDX Tech. Like it so far but I'm used to remote start for Illinois winters and this one doesn't have it. I've seen several posts about oemacuraparts.com and I will likely go that route to get the oem setup. I have no issues installing it myself but I know that the new key fobs need to be programmed locally.

I stopped by the Acura dealership where I bought it and was quoted $145 to program the fobs - that is ridiculous. I've gotten an email from them about the oem system and it said "quick 1 hour install". So there is no way the programming takes an hour!

What is a typical price for programming new fobs? I'm in suburban Chicago if anyone has had it done in the area.
It definitely doesn’t take an hour, but going rate in northern VA is 130 ish. They aren’t too far off. One problem I had when I first started to use it, I was not locking the car and allowing for green confirmation on the remote prior to attempting to start. Therefore I was not getting consistent starts. Something to keep in mind. Since I have locked it and waited for confirmation it’s starts every time. That has nothing to do with price, but a heads up. It was a pain. The installation is so easy.

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks for the idea! I stopped at the local Honda dealer today and they quoted me $70 to program the FOBs. I guess the Acura name comes with a higher price tag.

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Quick follow up.... ordered the updated remote start (38015-TZ5-A30) from oemacuraparts.com (thanks, Tim) and had to wait a few extra days since they were waiting on a shipment from Acura but a hassle free transaction.

Install was very simple and took about a half hour. Note for anyone else doing this install, there was a large plastic adapter on one of the harnesses that needed to be removed before it could be plugged into the module -- not sure if this is due to the newer part # but it won't fit unless removed.

Headed to the Honda dealer to get the fobs programmed and that's where the fun began. The dealer that quoted me $70 to program the fobs suddenly said they couldn't program the fobs unless they were EXACTLY the same as one of the ones I had. They would just piggyback off of that one. After some debate with the service writer, I concluded that he had no idea and I wasn't spending my money there. Headed to another Honda dealer and they said no problem.... half hour later, they said their "guru" couldn't get the programming done because it's "aftermarket". It's a Honda part... how is that "aftermarket"? No go.

Stop #3 at my Acura dealer who quoted me $145. Told them there was no way it would take an hour and they agreed to 1/2 hour of labor after getting one of the techs over to discuss what needed to be done. They got the job done with no issues.

Not sure what issue was with the two Honda dealers. Maybe they just didn't want easy money.

·
Registered
54 Posts
You need to realize the 1 hour $125-$145 program fee is a flat rated fee, not an actual install time of 1 hour, if a experienced tech does it in 20mins they still charge you 1 hour flate rate fee. they can't pro rate you and charge you 20mins of work it doesn't work that way, most people don't get it.

And sorry nobody can program it in 5mins you are not a Acura technician for a living so you have no idea. Sometimes the computer takes 5 mins just to boot up.

Honda techs are used to the 1-way factory setups, your MDX is a 2-way setup. That's probably why the inexperienced Honda tech couldn't do it correctly. Unless you had a quality experienced Honda tech that knows what there doing.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
288 Posts
I've had issues with my 17 Advanced, but I gotta say that the 2-way remote on the car is really good as far as the range (really long) and the fact that it's a 2-way setup. Most OEM's are 1-way (push and pray).

·
Registered
115 Posts
for less than $145, you can buy the Honda Diagnostic System tool that the dealer uses to program the key and all sorts of other features.

Do it yourself in 10 minutes.

Make $50-$100 per key programming on kijiji/craiglist.

·
Registered
1,952 Posts
for less than $145, you can buy the Honda Diagnostic System tool that the dealer uses to program the key and all sorts of other features.
Where?

·
Registered
2,795 Posts
Ebay usually. But I'm never sure what's actually going to work or not. wuryan, do you happen to have any recommendations on which units are recommended or if it's clear enough in the HDS software on how to do the programming? Probably need to pay for a shop manual subscription huh?

·
Registered
54 Posts

Do it yourself in 10 minutes.

Make $50-$100 per key programming on kijiji/craiglist.

Can you where do I buy this??

·
Registered
1,952 Posts
Ebay usually. But I'm never sure what's actually going to work or not. wuryan, do you happen to have any recommendations on which units are recommended or if it's clear enough in the HDS software on how to do the programming? Probably need to pay for a shop manual subscription huh?
All the ones I've seen on ebay for <$500 are chinese knock-offs. No way in hell am I plugging that unknown crap into a >$50k SUV. Thats the automotive equivalent of going raw-dogging at the club.

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
You need to realize the 1 hour $125-$145 program fee is a flat rated fee, not an actual install time of 1 hour, if a experienced tech does it in 20mins they still charge you 1 hour flate rate fee. they can't pro rate you and charge you 20mins of work it doesn't work that way, most people don't get it.

And sorry nobody can program it in 5mins you are not a Acura technician for a living so you have no idea. Sometimes the computer takes 5 mins just to boot up.

Honda techs are used to the 1-way factory setups, your MDX is a 2-way setup. That's probably why the inexperienced Honda tech couldn't do it correctly. Unless you had a quality experienced Honda tech that knows what there doing.

When I talked to the dealer, service writer said it was billed at their hourly rate. That is not the same as a flat rate.

I understand book hours and I have billed thousands of hours, sometimes in my favor sometimes not. Looking at the tsb for swapping out the older module and remotes for the new model and programming had .6 hours labor listed -- so that's what I discussed with the service writer. He stepped up and took care of me. I'm not saying everyone will have the same results but if you don't ask, you don't get.

If my computer took 5 minutes to boot up, I would save up my flat rate fee and get a new one.

·
Registered
115 Posts
All the ones I've seen on ebay for <$500 are chinese knock-offs. No way in hell am I plugging that unknown crap into a >$50k SUV. Thats the automotive equivalent of going raw-dogging at the club.
look for ones without the computer and display.
I'm sure you already have a computer (you might have to run WinXP on it)
Ones with just a disk and cable adaptor are much much cheaper.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts