Acura MDX SUV Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Recently, I had a professional buff out my driving lenses, and it looks fantastic. The fog lights were rough enough that it wasn't worth attempting to buff them, so I have purchased a brand new replacement set. While I have these sitting in my living room, should I consider upgrading the bulbs while they're here and begging to be toyed with? I keep bouncing back and fourth on whether I should go for a decent 4300k HID kit like the Kensun's on Amazon ($59.99, 5166 4.5 star reviews), or whichever H11 HID kit everyone seems to gravitate towards for the fogs to match the OEM HID's. Or, just just throw some Silverstar Ultras ($31, 4355 four star reviews) in there to optimize the throw and call it a day. I'm torn. Help. BTW - everywhere on the vehicle which I'm able to reasonably access has had incandescent bulbs replaced with LED's. Also, once the new fogs are installed I will take it to a shop to apply 3M clear protective film so they stay looking good for longer and have that added protection.

Ultimately what I'm looking to accomplish is a relatively close match to the output of my OEM HID's in terms of color temperature and throw, as long as the color temperature is in that 4300k-5000k range and matches my OEM HID's I'd be happy.

So my options are:
1. Leave them OEM -- OEM is fine enough and just enjoy the new/clean housing and decent throw
2. Upgrade to Silverstars -- little brighter, little better throw, why not
3. HID conversion to the Kensun's or whichever are recommended, go all out

I'm leaning away from leaving them with their OEM incandescent bulbs, away from Silverstars (lacking that "wow" factor) and towards the Kensun's, or whichever brand is recommended most by the group. Don't want to throw any codes with any of this, prefer plug and play. What y'all think? Thanks.

·
Registered
2,474 Posts
Added the 3M film with UV protection to cover the newly buffed out lenses is the way to go. I've heard the buffing action removes the headlight UV coating and the lenses haze over faster (not sure if that is 100% true). I've used 3M clear bra with UV protection on all three of my Acura's headlights and fogs. I just recently replaced the 3M film on my 06 TSX a few years ago after +8 years because the road rash was taking its toll. No broken lens, crystal clear fogs after new film with almost 140K on the TSX (live in sandy southwest with +75mph speed limit). Anything is better than nothing if it helps against road rash and UV hazing. The MDX has an odd shaped headlight cover and my 3M film only covers around 90% (all forward facing is covered. The parts not covered on my MDX does have a bad haze on them; but, it doesn't effect any forward facing light output.

I would also think about upgrading the OEM HIDs to OSRAM CBI 66240 5000k-5500k or Morimoto XB35 5500k D2S. And double-check the HID aim levels (mine were aimed way too low from factory). MDX OEM HIDs and HID projectors are not the best in this flagship SUV compared to other Acura vehicles for some reason.

·
Registered
1,122 Posts
Clearcoat or use a clearbra film to prevent the lights from yellowing! The UV coating is sanded off allowing the plastic to yellow within a few weeks!

You should upgrade the Headlights to a new bulb before toying with the fogs! OSRAM CBI's are $110 on amazon and made a fairly large difference in light output on my MDX. The factory bulbs were fairly dim with 120K miles on them and 9 years.

The OSRAMS's are 5500K and you can find plenty of kits to match it.

The factory lights are 4350K but they will be closer to 4500-4600K due to color shifting after being on for so long.

If you want the best light output, HID will beat incandescent. If you drive though heavy fog or need extra visbility, 3000K HID's are going to be the best as they will provide plenty of contrast. 5500K HID's in the fogs will be like staring at a white wall!

·
Registered
29 Posts
Unless you're swapping to an HID projector, you'll never get the focused light output that you have stock with an HID plug and play conversion. IMO, the scatter is more of a nuisance than the extra light output is helpful.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
You're scaring me about my headlights. So what film to I need to apply to them to prevent them from yellowing since they were recently cleaned by a pro?

·
Registered
2,474 Posts
PHP:
You're scaring me about my headlights. So what film to I need to apply to them to prevent them from yellowing since they were recently cleaned by a pro?
3M film has UV protection to prevent hazing for up to 5 years free replacement warranty. You might have to check with other types of film to make sure they also have UV protection. I'm up to +6 yrs on my RDX and TSX and both are keeping my front end protected and headlights/fogs clear. I only had the 3M film for 3 yrs on the MDX; but, it is still looking 100%.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
PHP:
3M film has UV protection to prevent hazing for up to 5 years free replacement warranty. You might have to check with other types of film to make sure they also have UV protection. I'm up to +6 yrs on my RDX and TSX and both are keeping my front end protected and headlights/fogs clear. I only had the 3M film for 3 yrs on the MDX; but, it is still looking 100%.
Sounds like a professional 3M job is in order for both my headlights and fogs since they are in practically new condition.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Unless you're swapping to an HID projector, you'll never get the focused light output that you have stock with an HID plug and play conversion. IMO, the scatter is more of a nuisance than the extra light output is helpful.
So going HID with the standard/incandescent housing bring a similar result as going HID with standard/incandescent headlights? Guess I figured since they are so low to the ground the scatter issue wouldn't be of much concern. As long as they don't blind other drivers I would consider it, didn't think the fogs with how low they are would be a concern. Still on the fence, maybe I'll try to look for some more pics of those with HID's in the standard fog housing to get an idea what to expect should I decide to go that route.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Clearcoat or use a clearbra film to prevent the lights from yellowing! The UV coating is sanded off allowing the plastic to yellow within a few weeks!

You should upgrade the Headlights to a new bulb before toying with the fogs! OSRAM CBI's are $110 on amazon and made a fairly large difference in light output on my MDX. The factory bulbs were fairly dim with 120K miles on them and 9 years.

The OSRAMS's are 5500K and you can find plenty of kits to match it.

The factory lights are 4350K but they will be closer to 4500-4600K due to color shifting after being on for so long.

If you want the best light output, HID will beat incandescent. If you drive though heavy fog or need extra visbility, 3000K HID's are going to be the best as they will provide plenty of contrast. 5500K HID's in the fogs will be like staring at a white wall!
I have about the same amount of miles on my MDX, so I think I'll take your advice and upgrade my headlights to those OSRAM CBI's. Are these the ones? Do you have any concerns with using an HID kit in the standard fog housing, like blinding other drivers or scattering? I will keep them incandescent if there are concerns with blinding other drivers. If it's not a concern, can you provide a specific recommendation on which HID kit for the fogs would most closely match/compliment the OSRAM CBI's at 5500k?

1 - 9 of 9 Posts