Acura MDX SUV Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
394 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
On average, how long does the OEM battery last in the MDX? I have an 04 with 54,xxx miles on it, had it a little over 3 years.

What is the most common battery replacement?

·
Registered
6,348 Posts
timbrwolf9 said:

What is the most common battery replacement?
Mine lasted 18 months! I believe the longevity is all over the map.

·
Registered
172 Posts
I've got the original one in my 2002 Mdx. Since sept 2002

·
Registered
680 Posts
I'd say three years is about average if not a little better than average for the original battery based on the numerous posts regarding poor OEM battery life. Mine just died after 3 years and 2 months.

They usually don't give much warning so many owners have proactivley replaced after 2 to 3 years anyway.

I replaced with a Diehard Gold from Sears for $89. I have them in all my cars and they almost always last a minimum of 5 years. IMO cheaper batteries arent worth the risk down the road when the wife has the kids in the car.

·
Registered
234 Posts
My battery acted up on my 23 month old '04 last week. When I tried to turn it on, it would just click. But after turning off the auto headlights and radio, there was just enough juice to start the car. Has been fine since but I'm already looking into getting an Optima to replace it.

·
Registered
880 Posts
Still have the original oem battery in my 2002 MDX ; going on
4 years, 2 months and 54K miles. Still have the original Michelon tires also with ~ 1 more year of life left in them.

·
Registered
317 Posts
I got 59 months out of the OEM one.
I waited until it really needed to be replaced (couldn't leave the headlight on for over 10 mins when the engine was off).

Bought the Costco one for $52 CDN.

·
Registered
8,099 Posts
The OEM battery on my 2002 MDX is still going strong at 26,000+ miles and 4 years and 8 months. :roadtrip:

·
Registered
172 Posts
Life should be 3-5 years if you drive mostly everyday. If you don't drive a lot or if you leave the lights on many times and drain the battery, expect no more then 2 years.

·
Registered
1,172 Posts

·
Registered
123 Posts
i just replaced the OEM battery on my 01 MDX....so i got 5 yrs out of it......but they are too expensive
replaced with a costco Kirkland battery...they are awesome...and a great price

:D

·
Registered
779 Posts
What size battery?

Every time I go into my local Costco I look up the battery for my '03. They never have one on the rack. What size did you get? Was this the one that was specified in their reference book or did you take measurements and get one that matched? Just curious. Thanks for your time.

·
Registered
8,099 Posts
ROTORRAY,

My OEM battery finally gave out at 5 years and 28,370 miles. I replaced it with the Costco Kirkland battery. You want to get the #3 battery for your MDX.

·
Registered
1,028 Posts
My OEM battery lasted for 6+ years and almost 79,000 miles. I finally replaced it last night with Kirkland #3, group size 35 (cca 640 vs. cca 550 for the oem battery) from Costco for $64. It has 3 yr full replacement and prorated 100 month warranty.

I originally looked at Optima batteries. After doing some research I discovered that many of them die after 2-4 years of use (and apparently dry cell batteries can't be jump started). It did not make sense to pay almost 3 times more ($175) for the Optima without getting any significant benefit over the regular acid-lead battery.

In my research I discovered that "Most auto batteries are made by just three manufacturers, Delphi, Exide, and Johnson Controls Industries. Each makes batteries sold under several different brand names. Delphi makes ACDelco and some EverStart (Wal-Mart) models. Exide makes Champion, Exide, Napa, and some EverStart batteries. Johnson Controls makes Diehard (Sears), Duralast (AutoZone), Interstate, Kirkland (Costco), Motorcraft (Ford), and some EverStarts."

I have always bought DieHard batteries in the past, and they worked great. Last battery I bought almost 7 years ago (it is still going strong in my Maxima) is a Duralast Gold from AutoZone. I figured since Kirkland batteries are made by the same company (and have the same warranty) its a safe bet, especially at a lower price. No need to waste money on the Optima.

·
Registered
736 Posts
Just replaced the second OEM battery in my 2003 MDX with a redtop Optima. Wow! I'm amazed at its power and resiliancy. Deliberately ran the radio in garage this weekend for 4 or 5 hours and it didn't even make a dent in the charge. Old Acura battery would only last about 1 hour and die completely, even when new!

All in all, I switched because I was tired of having to replace prematurely dying Honda batteries. First battery lasted only 1.5 years and second battery lasted only 3.5 years. That's crap! The OEM batteries in my previous Toyota and Lexus both lasted 6-7 years. Now that I think of it, the battery in my 1985 Honda CRX also died in about 1 year. So I guess Honda has a long history of installing crappy batteries.

·
Registered
4,358 Posts
I agree with the 4 to 5 years for an OEM battery. I usually figure about 4 years. I will probably change the one on my 04 in a few months.

Any decent battery should run a modern radio all night without any significant degradation of the starting power. A battery that can run a radio only 1 hour is past needing to be replaced...

G

1 - 16 of 16 Posts