Acura MDX SUV Forums banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Greets from Perth Australia. Enjoying the YD1 beast down under, she's a december 2005 facelift edition.
if I had to admit what i didnt like about the Gen1 MDX it would be the fuel economy! Currently I'm getting about 16L/100km or 14.7 MPG (sedate driving, no a/c) and that is with gentle driving!

what i've tried:
Regular 5w full syn oil changes 7000-8000km. Sparks are about 15,000km now.
Have tried to clean the EGR port and the EGR itself. The car drives fine with no check engine lights, no misfiring, shaking or sluggish acceleration. Tyres are set to 40psi all round haha.

Is it stock?
Car is stock except for a K&N panel filter, was thinking re usability rather then performance.

Then went googling for tune ups and saw this OBD2 chip/tuner
Redirecting

For 80-90 USD it does sound too good to be true. Looks like OBD2 readers that you would use to read the ecu via mobile apps like Torque, so not sure how its suppose to 'flash' the MDX's ecu.

Has anyone had any experiences with these OBD2 chips/dongles ? ... Would probably better using the cash to buy a new EGR valve.

thanks in advance.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,751 Posts
I chased a mileage issue with my '04 for months. I did a valve adjustment, and that helped to the tune of about 1mpg. Swapping out the upstream O2 sensors (the ones that tell your ECM how much fuel to inject) seemed to help a little as well, but I was still stuck in the 18mpg range on long (high speed) road trips. I finally tossed the K&M air filter, and replaced it with a paper filter and was getting well over 20mpg under the same conditions.

I too am skeptical about low-price "flashing" of our ECUs, both from the standpoint of trying to imagine how they actually work, and with a bit of worry about the technical proficiency of the folks doing the programming (if they botch the fuel-air mixture, they could melt your pistons). I guess I'd be OK with something that's proven itself over the years, but very wary of anything that doesn't come with a pretty respectable track record.

Even better, if someone were to come out with a way to re-map our pitiful TCMs (so they didn't hold 1st gear to 4,000rpm, and didn't downshift every time you go up the slightest of inclines at speed), we'd probably save a lot more gas than an ECU re-mapping could ever do!

1 - 2 of 2 Posts