Acura MDX SUV Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Looking to purchase one of these plug-in OBD2 adapters to use on my cars but want to be certain the one I select works on all the cars. What have you purchased and used for your 2014 or newer MDX? The other cars are 2006 and 2015 Jetta's and a 2016 Ford Fusion. So buying 1 device is better then 3 separate ones. :)
TIA!

·
Registered
870 Posts
The first thing you need to worry about is whether your smartphone is Android or iOS. As I learned the hard way, most Bluetooth OBD 2 adapters won't work with iOS. WiFi ones will. There are some new Bluetooth 4.0 ( Bluetooth LE ) adapters that will work with either OS.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for pointing this out Wanderlust. My research so far indicates that Android has more options then iOS. Fortunately I have at least one of each on hand and was pretty much set on the Android version.

My goals are to change some of the VW settings (door lock beeps for starters) and explore what can be changed on the Acura, at a minimum. Some of the monitoring features look cool too, but are secondary.

·
Registered
870 Posts
I just started messing with a Veepeak WiFi unit going to iOS. I can't seem to access any vehicle settings on 1st gen MDXs I'm reading codes on. ( Joys of maintaining the family fleet. ) Maybe I just haven't dug deep enough, but Honda/Acura uses a proprietary protocol. I'm using OBD Fusion and OBDCarDoctor.

·
Registered
56 Posts
The first thing you need to worry about is whether your smartphone is Android or iOS. As I learned the hard way, most Bluetooth OBD 2 adapters won't work with iOS. WiFi ones will. There are some new Bluetooth 4.0 ( Bluetooth LE ) adapters that will work with either OS.
I just bought a cheap Chinese-manufactured one; I think it was about $25. XTools iOBD2, Bluetooth edition. No complaints and has worked pretty well. iOS and Android software available.

I don't think it has any capacity to change internal settings, but the dashboard features all work well and the diagnostic seems to as well.

I was surprised that with my iphone, the bluetooth link to the stereo system and the OBD2 thingy worked simultaneously (albeit with occasional glitches).

YMMV, I'm just a customer, no relation, etc.

For those interested - don't know policies here about posting links - search iOBD2 or type this with .com .

Again, no guarantees, but I bought it on a lark and seems to work well. Prior to this I'd only used a similar dongle on a different car with connection over wifi - I forget the name, that software was more impressive but only on android.

·
Registered
740 Posts
I bought an OBDLink LX from ScanTool.net. It is a well-known, and well-supported, line of OBD2 products. I would avoid the cheap Chinese stuff; some work, some don't with the available apps. These under-$100 readers display common info, and some proprietary info, as well as resetting "Check Engine Light". The proprietary info is from reverse-engineering the format. An example: the MDX does measure and track the transmission temperature (something I want to see for towing) but the format is proprietary. The free apps don't seem to support reading that but at least one paid app seems like it might as the dev is putting effort into trans temps specifically (though not necessarily for the MDX).

The fundamental problem is that to gain access to the proprietary formats requires joining a trade group and paying each manufacturer for their formats (i.e. many thousands of dollars) and signing on to the non-disclosure regimen. The OBD2 professional systems sold to mechanics for thousands of dollars are derived from this source; the apps we use have to settle for what leaks out. There is no reason that I know of that the reader I have couldn't be used for reading/setting all OBD2 info - it is just that the apps don't have access to the formats. Bummer...

Greg

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.