Acura MDX SUV Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 01 mdx. I got code P0135. Bank 1 sensor 1. I ordered the sensor. Does anyone have a picture/diagram/video where exactly the sensor is located?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
904 Posts
No pic, but that should be the 2nd easiest one to find. Should be on top of the rear catalytic converter between the rear of the engine and the firewall slightly off-center passenger side. The toughest part is getting the connector undone as it's almost completely blind just to left of the brake fluid reservoir on the back side of the engine. You can play with the connector for the top sensor on the front Cat to get a feel for how it releases as that one is the easiest right behind the radiator.

·
Registered
169 Posts
The 2001 only has two O2 sensors, both on the exhaust pipes, one before the cat converter and one after. Easy to see once under the car. Bank 1 sensor 1 would be the one before the cat, also known as the upstream.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
one guy says firewall behind engine. One says under the car... both seem very confident.
Tie breaker???...

·
Registered
904 Posts
I was thinking that Gen 1 and Gen 2 were the same location, but I could be wrong. Bank 1 is definitely the firewall side either way and sensor 1 is the sensor before the cat, but it may appear to be on the front or top of the cat depending the orientation.

·
Registered
169 Posts
I'm 110% sure the 2001 and 2002 MDX only has two O2, unlike the 2003-2006+.
I was just under my 2002 recently looking at the o2 sensor locations, they are not even in the engine bay. Both bank headers collect under the firewall and the upstream sensor is even further back on the exh pipes. (2003+ have 3 or possibly 4 sensors.)

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
So after doing some research, you are right there is 2 o2 sensors on the 01 mdx. Now I just have to get under the car and change it. Any chance of changing the wrong one or do they have different connections?

·
Registered
594 Posts
If your 2001 is set up with front and rear primary cats right after the exhaust manifolds, this pic shows bank 1, sensor 1. It’s the rear cat next to the firewall. DCC3678F-1B19-482F-864C-BB652A19D1C0.png
DCC3678F-1B19-482F-864C-BB652A19D1C0.png
(I would think it’s set up this way but I have an 06,)

Here’s the Honda/Acura estore link and it has diagrams but sometimes hard to find parts. Online Honda parts shops usually have better diagrams but I don’t have a link handy.

Good luck!

·
Registered
169 Posts
^^^My 2002 touring looks nothing like that.

·
Registered
904 Posts
So after doing some research, you are right there is 2 o2 sensors on the 01 mdx. Now I just have to get under the car and change it. Any chance of changing the wrong one or do they have different connections?

Sensor 1 is the sensor before the cat and sensor 2 after the cat, so you need to change the one ahead of the cat.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts