Acura MDX SUV Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
2,800 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I noticed significant fuel economy improvement after changing spark plugs. Before the new spark plugs I drove the car on a flat(not hilly) interstate for 10 mile using ACC set it to 65 MPH and making sure no car in front of me to interrupt the ACC. I drove the car again under the same conditions WITH a new spark plugs. And here are the results:

old spark plugs and old oil 5w-20:
22.6 MPG

new spark plugs and new oil 5w-30:
25 MPG

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
3,338 Posts
My personal best is 34MPGs @ 65MPH.

Since the 6AT and 5AT shares the same Overdrive ratios you should be able to hit 30MPGs depending on crosswinds. I think I have the +30mpg picture somewhere on the phone but here is another one of what I normally do on flat roads in México:

·
Registered
3,338 Posts
You can monitor your fuel usage in real time using SH-AWD monitor...
If you get more than 1 blocks on each wheel at any time you will do the normal 20-25mpgs.. If you are able to make it run on 1 block front and 0 blocks on the rear? = +30mpgs for sure.

·
Registered
2,800 Posts
Discussion Starter #4

If you get more than 1 blocks on each wheel at any time you will do the normal 20-25mpgs.. If you are able to make it run on 1 block front and 0 blocks on the rear? = +30mpgs for sure.

How many miles did you drive to maintain 35mpg?

·
Registered
3,338 Posts
I reset the counter prior to checking different driving patterns.. I reset the trip meter in that stretch but I always notice if the AVG goes up or down, It will always tell a ludicrous number when you reset it but it will settle down to the real AVG in just a couple of miles.

The 34mpg trip was sustained over a 10 mile stretch after it was reset..
It started at over 38mpg and it hold it a 34.6mpgs.. When the stretch ended it fall down to 26mpgs IIRC.

·
Registered
2,800 Posts
Discussion Starter #6

What is the mpg spec for 2010-11 mdx?

·
Registered
2,469 Posts
(City/Highway/Combined) 16 | 21 | 18

·
Registered
3,338 Posts
I wish I could get 16 on city....

·
Registered
3,338 Posts
If you wish you could get 16 mpg in the city why are getting 35 mpg on the highway?

Because they are not related at all?
You ALWAYS get more fue economy in the Highway than in the City in the MDX. The only cars that do not get that different City vs Hwy are CVTs and Hybrids, Just look at the MPG numbers for the MDX Hybrid.

Or tell me, are YOU getting 25mpgs city?

·
Registered
3,338 Posts
The reason why you get more MPGs in the highway is because you drive a constant velocity and throttle input while locked in Overdriven gears (5th or 6th for the 6AT and 4th and 5th for the 5AT)..

The Engine does not have to REV up and down (cycling through gears)..
Your 6AT should get better City MPGs than my 5AT but they both share the same final drives and top gears so you should be able to get the SAME highway MPGs as me.

My normal highway MPGs is 24-26mpgs @ 65mph, If I go up to 75-80mph it drops to 20-22mpgs depending on elevation.
+80mph is going down to -20mpgs depending on the road.

·
Registered
2,800 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Because they are not related at all?
You ALWAYS get more fue economy in the Highway than in the City in the MDX. The only cars that do not get that different City vs Hwy are CVTs and Hybrids, Just look at the MPG numbers for the MDX Hybrid.

Or tell me, are YOU getting 25mpgs city?

I am 12-14 mpg in the city doing Uber.

·
Registered
3,338 Posts
I am doing 11-12 doing my Normal Daily Drive... That 6th gear in yours is showing the city advantage over the 5AT.

·
Registered
3,338 Posts
5AT:
3 Acceleration Gears + 2 Overdrives
1st > 2nd > 3rd = 4th = 5th

6AT:
4 Acceleration Gears + 2 Overdrives
1st > 2nd > 3rd > 4th = 5th = 6th

The 6th gear is a lower 1st gear which gives you 4 acceleration gears Instead of 3. Your 5th and 6th gears are the same as the 4th and 5th in the 5AT giving you exactly the same hwy performance but better city mpgs.

·
Registered
2,012 Posts
1 - 18 of 18 Posts