401 Posts
Welcome!

All-Season tires aren't meant for snow.

Get dedicated snow tires if you wan to drive in snow

·
Registered
401 Posts
You're welcome!

Yes, you can use snow tires all year round, but it's not a good idea. The tread on them wears faster than other tires, so you'll be spending more money on tires. Also, snow tires are noisier than other tires. There's no safety issue, though, so you can run snows all year if you want.

The optimum situation is to have your regular tires and a separate set of dedicated snow tires.

·
Registered
726 Posts
You didn't tell us what tires you have now, how much tread you have on them, or how much snow you're trying to drive through, so it's hard to say anything useful here.

All-season tires vary in snow performance. The reviews and survey results on Tire Rack's web site can give you some guidance here. However, winter tires are quite a bit better than all-season tires.

·
Registered
461 Posts
"Not good in snow" is too vague to reply with anything meaningful.

Snow tires might not address the OP's concerns. But we don't really know what the OP's concerns are.

·
Registered
45 Posts
My 07 was scary in the snow. I replaced the tires and wow what a night and day difference! I went with the Toyo Versado CUVs. I must say, so far I am very happy. We had snow storm here in Chicago yesterday and it handled very well. While others were turteling along, my X was able to cruise along with ease. I'm sure next season will be even better when I go with a dedicated set of snow tires.

·
Registered
153 Posts
You can have the biggest, most powerful SUV on the market but if you're running on summer tires, or even all-seasons, your handling will suffer noticeably in winter. Even a cheap no name winter tire will be better than a brand name summer tire. Driving my MDX through this crazy winter we've been having has instilled nothing less than full confidence. It has been amazing and a real joy to drive every winter season.

·
Registered
4,187 Posts
The optimum situation is to have your regular tires and a separate set of dedicated snow tires.
It's also optimal to have a second set of wheels, so you don't have to mount and balance the tires on wheels when you swap them at the start and end of each winter.

You can get used OEM wheels for the 2001-2006 MDX for $40-60 each at car-part.com

1 - 9 of 9 Posts