Acura MDX SUV Forums banner

Not to encourage speeding...but...

4K views 28 replies 18 participants last post by  markr 
#1 ·
What is the highest speed that you have had your MDX up to?

#4 ·
High Speed

At first my max was 80 mph and I was very nervious about a roll-over should I have a tire blow-out. Now I have got more used to the SUV and being seated higher. My 2000 Maxima SE was up to 130 mph and still wanted to go and felt safe and secure should a tire blow out. I've now had taken the MDX up to 110 mph and it's pretty sturdy for a SUV. Wind noise is a little loud, but holds road nice and tracks straight. I've only done on roads that I know are straight, I would never consider going that speed with and turns or bends on the road. My usual high speed crusing is about 85-95 mph. When you exceed that it get a little scarey because of the height. No vibrations at all on high speeds. Other than wind noise I am very impressed. It takes a while to get used to the height then you may get a little more daring like myself. Be careful what roads you are doing that kind of speed because if you get caught you may spend the night in jail, and have the car impounded. I think they would call that excessive speeding, don't think they can wright a ticket and let you go. by the way the brakes are excellent at high speed driving, they don't overheat and start to fade like many other stock performance cars.

#6 ·
It's pretty smooth

I believe the width and the weight make it handle good at that speed. I wouldn't take a chance on a turn or bend in highway at that speed, I still think gravity may work against you at that point. I was very impressed with the braking ability at high speeds. I'm sure this is due to the very thick rotors they use on the MDX. I fell 85 mph is a safer crusing speed, when you start to hit the 100 mph, things start to go by a little to quick. If you know what I mean. In New York State the only times you can get away with these speeds is 2:00 A.M. - 5:00 A.M. During the day I would even think about going over 65 mph. Usually between NYC and the Long Island boarder is free from police at those times. I'm sure many of you are thinking where the hell can you go over 100 mph without getting a ticket. NYC police have more important things going on between those hours. As soon as you hit the Long Island border they are awaiting you in the tree's with radar gun right on you!

#7 ·
DAYTIME speeds vs. nightime

I drove through Montana a few years ago , where the DAYTIME speed is "reasonable & prudent". This is essentially the "unlimited" speed of Germany's Autobahn. This means with NOBODY around you can go pretty much as fast as you care to.

With other traffic around (including Montana State Troopers) you probably are immune from a traffic ticket up to 85 MPH or so.

OTOH, the NIGHTTIME speedlimit is 65 MPH, and going as little as 68MPH CAN & WILL RESULT IN A TICKET. (Factor in the fact that MANY judges DO NOT LIKE the thinking that "reasonable & prudent" is an invitation to goofballs to drive like maniacs in Montana, and you learn to watch you speed after the sun goes down...)

I bring this up because the odds of something being in/on the road AT NIGHT is MUCH HIGHER EVEN IN LI. I would STRONGLY recomend confining "high speed runs" to DAYLIGHT hours! For your own safety, and that of others, REDUCE, DON"T INCREASE your speeds at night!

Your first concern should ALWAYS be safety, even when in technical vioaltion of the law! The busy-ness of the police and odds of arrest SHOULD NOT be a factor in attempts at high speed motoring.

#8 ·
Top speed

I have had the 'X up to about 110mph. It was daylight on a straight empty stretch of road. It seemed to handle and track great but I still wasn't comfortable above 100mph. I have had my '89 Prelude up to 140mph. It handled great but it was still a little un-nerving seeing things in the distance approach so fast! My typical highway cruising speed is 85-90mph...

Wade

#9 ·

I got my big mama MDX up to 105 once, it was very stable, and the Michelins held up fine,
I recommend everyone to crank up their MDX at least once!

#10 ·
I just returned from my first long trip in the MDX and I'm very pleased with the performance(handling, acceleration, braking etc.). Since it was a family trip(went to Orlando, Fla) and I have kids and wife behind(plus luggage) I wasn't free to try, but I couldn't not to at all. Couple of times when the road was free, open and not too curvy, I tested the car pushing it to 105-110 - felt great and stable, not much worries, but ... again - family.

Felt very safe at ~85mph.

#11 ·
Re: DAYTIME speeds vs. nightime

renov8r said:

I bring this up because the odds of something being in/on the road AT NIGHT is MUCH HIGHER EVEN IN LI. I would STRONGLY recomend confining "high speed runs" to DAYLIGHT hours! For your own safety, and that of others, REDUCE, DON"T INCREASE your speeds at night!

In NYS I wouldn't even consider going over 65 mph during the day. There is to much traffic and police officers all over the highways here. In the evening is the only time to even consider. In New York there are way to many cars to consider such speeds the danger would be to high. In the evening there are much fewer cars and police on the highways. I know in other states you have very open roads. Not here to condensed.

#14 ·
90 mph is the max I've had it

But I've had the TL-S up to 95.

Back in '87 in upstate NY I had a Ford Taurus up to 105; the feeling of speed was exhilirating!

#15 ·
Smooth at 101mph

Well, I don't normally incriminate myself, but I did get our MDX up to 101mph. I did it on a trip to Laughlin Navada from LA. I was already crusing between 80 & 85 when I came upon an opertunity to go faster. With me was my wife, who was reading, and my two son's, who were playing a video game. I gradully increased the speed to 101, then I asked everyone if they had ever gone 100mph. No one even noticed that we were going that fast. Road noise did'nt change and the ride was smooth. Latter, we went off roading using Jeep trails near Oatman Az. I used the breadcrumb feature to get us back to the main highway. When we got back home the boys declared the MDX as "way cool". They even helped me wash it, which I thought way cool. ;)

#16 ·
MDX Speeds- Viva Las Vegas!

Goin to Vegas in my MDX.

San Diego Interstate -5 to 78 - 80-85MPH

78 - San Diego Interstate 15 - 80-90MPH

San Diego Interstate 15 heading north going through Riverside to 215 - 90mph

215 to Interstate 15 to Vegas- @11:30pm to 1:00AM 80-90MPH.

Interstate 15 to Vegas - @ 1:30AM to 3:45AM - Switched on Cruise control and maintaining 100MPH.

Eight miles outside of Las Vegas before Flamingo road...Cruise Control off and going anywhere from 65MPH to 120MPH. Exiting Flamingo and going about 25 mph.

#17 ·
Remember the MDX is not made for speed. Remember the Young bull and the Old bull on top of the hill , looking down at the cows in heat. Hmmmmmmmmm LOL. The picks of our wondeful Twins tell you where we are coming from. Enjoy and drive safe. :D

#19 ·
Neicho, I know that one...

Remember the Young bull and the Old bull on top of the hill , looking down at the cows in heat
The old bull says, we can run down the hill and **** one cow, or we can walk down the hill and **** them all. ;)

#20 ·
Fireblade6, don't hold back on us now...

You stated in a previous post:

Oh by the way..I got my MDX up to 130MPH on the way on I-15 to Las Vegas two days ago. But my X have racing headers and exhausts on it...Amazingly at that speed the vehicle feels like a sports sedan and not an SUV.
So far, you're the fastest.:eek:

#22 ·
DaleB said:
I was already going 80+ and gave it a quick shot to just a hair over 100.
It got there effortlessy and felt very stable, I quickly backed down.
No desire to do it again. Too many risks that have nothing to do with the capability of the vehicle.
Come on Dale you can cruise at 80-95 MPH with no problem it just takes a little getting used to at the SUV height. A car you probably wouldn't think twice, but the suv feels like 120 mph at that speed. I hope you doing that speed in the evening when no other drivers are on the road because it can be very dangerious with other drivers around you.

#23 ·
paul123 said:

Come on Dale you can cruise at 80-95 MPH with no problem it just takes a little getting used to at the SUV height. A car you probably wouldn't think twice, but the suv feels like 120 mph at that speed. I hope you doing that speed in the evening when no other drivers are on the road because it can be very dangerious with other drivers around you.
Actually, very early one Sunday morning, thats when I used to take my RX-7 for speed runs.
I don't have much need to drive over 80 anywhere around the Bay Area. On a long trip, who knows.....

#24 ·
Speed Issue

I was just joking you are always better safe than sorry, especially when you have a wife and children. I do know that speed can kill. I realize this more and more as I get older. You are correct in saying, being safer is better. I have an 18 month old daughter and I have to keep reminding myself not to do crazy driving when I get upset at a driver on the road. It's better to just realize that person doesn't know how to drive, and not try to play cat and mouse with drivers.

#25 ·
Joking or not, I like to blow the dust out of my cars now and then. Somehow I would feel more foolish getting a speeding ticket in my MDX at over 100 than I would have in my RX.
Of course I would not want to leave my family with problems and grief because of my foolishness.
I do like to drive fast, and am very aware of the idiot factor on the road.
What bothers me about sustained high speed driving is the accelerated wear on the tires. And even the best tire can do something unexpected. And the control factor at speed is significantly magnified. Some of my previous cars were more fun to drive fast, the MDX is more fun coming off the line. LIke a jack-rabbit without a squeal!!!
It is a great cruiser too. It feels very secure. All around it's just one hell of a vehicle in most things it does.

#26 ·
Ha Ha Ha

Hey,
AS ya'll know I am a street racer punk. As i was following all my friends import cars back from Hot Import Nights in New Orleans my MDX Top 120 before the goverener kicked in. It take you back down to 110 before it lets your take control again. Hehe It was really that scary either. My dads S500 will do 150 thou it that is scary mostly because you can't feel it. hehe O well

-Joe

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.