Acura MDX SUV Forums banner

21 - 29 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
6,809 Posts
DaleB said:
I was already going 80+ and gave it a quick shot to just a hair over 100.
It got there effortlessy and felt very stable, I quickly backed down.
No desire to do it again. Too many risks that have nothing to do with the capability of the vehicle.
Come on Dale you can cruise at 80-95 MPH with no problem it just takes a little getting used to at the SUV height. A car you probably wouldn't think twice, but the suv feels like 120 mph at that speed. I hope you doing that speed in the evening when no other drivers are on the road because it can be very dangerious with other drivers around you.

·
Registered
10,732 Posts
paul123 said:

Come on Dale you can cruise at 80-95 MPH with no problem it just takes a little getting used to at the SUV height. A car you probably wouldn't think twice, but the suv feels like 120 mph at that speed. I hope you doing that speed in the evening when no other drivers are on the road because it can be very dangerious with other drivers around you.
Actually, very early one Sunday morning, thats when I used to take my RX-7 for speed runs.
I don't have much need to drive over 80 anywhere around the Bay Area. On a long trip, who knows.....

·
Registered
6,809 Posts
Speed Issue

I was just joking you are always better safe than sorry, especially when you have a wife and children. I do know that speed can kill. I realize this more and more as I get older. You are correct in saying, being safer is better. I have an 18 month old daughter and I have to keep reminding myself not to do crazy driving when I get upset at a driver on the road. It's better to just realize that person doesn't know how to drive, and not try to play cat and mouse with drivers.

·
Registered
10,732 Posts
Joking or not, I like to blow the dust out of my cars now and then. Somehow I would feel more foolish getting a speeding ticket in my MDX at over 100 than I would have in my RX.
Of course I would not want to leave my family with problems and grief because of my foolishness.
I do like to drive fast, and am very aware of the idiot factor on the road.
What bothers me about sustained high speed driving is the accelerated wear on the tires. And even the best tire can do something unexpected. And the control factor at speed is significantly magnified. Some of my previous cars were more fun to drive fast, the MDX is more fun coming off the line. LIke a jack-rabbit without a squeal!!!
It is a great cruiser too. It feels very secure. All around it's just one hell of a vehicle in most things it does.

·
Registered
421 Posts
Ha Ha Ha

Hey,
AS ya'll know I am a street racer punk. As i was following all my friends import cars back from Hot Import Nights in New Orleans my MDX Top 120 before the goverener kicked in. It take you back down to 110 before it lets your take control again. Hehe It was really that scary either. My dads S500 will do 150 thou it that is scary mostly because you can't feel it. hehe O well

-Joe

·
Registered
1,453 Posts
know what you're talkin' about!!

renov8r said:
I drove through Montana a few years ago , where the DAYTIME speed is "reasonable & prudent". This is essentially the "unlimited" speed of Germany's Autobahn. This means with NOBODY around you can go pretty much as fast as you care to.

With other traffic around (including Montana State Troopers) you probably are immune from a traffic ticket up to 85 MPH or so.

OTOH, the NIGHTTIME speedlimit is 65 MPH, and going as little as 68MPH CAN & WILL RESULT IN A TICKET. (Factor in the fact that MANY judges DO NOT LIKE the thinking that "reasonable & prudent" is an invitation to goofballs to drive like maniacs in Montana, and you learn to watch you speed after the sun goes down...)
I recently (dec. 2001) took a trip from L.A. to Grand Forks, ND and back (2000 miles each way) in my 4 Runner, which took me through the states of Nevada, Utah, Idaho, Montana and North Dakota. Most of the time I had the cruise set at 90mph and sometimes I cruised for brief periods at 100mph.

.......now I'd also heard of the freeways in Montana being called the "MONTANABAHN" :D.......but guess what??.......on my way back I'd set my cruise control to 85mph (speed limit 75mph) on I-90 when I got stopped!! :eek: ......the cop said he'd clocked me at 84mph (only a MEASLY 9mph over the limit)......only a $20 ticket (paid him in cash)........At first, I wondered, but then remembered that they have an obsession there in Montana about obeying speed limits at night.......and I kinda tend to agree with them on this one.......Additionally, I think it's extremely dangerous to take SUVs over 100mph (use the right tool for the right job?? ;) )

......another time I had my 2000 3.2TL maxed out at 143mph (pedal to the metal) on I-15 on the way to Las Vegas. I had my brother sitting in the passenger seat, and we both agreed it was reallly scary (will never do this again)......the car felt extremely stable and rock-solid....and even the noise levels were fairly low, but I dread to think what would've happened if some stupid moron going 65 made a sudden lane change, without looking, pulling out in front of me!!!........the other cars looked like poles on the side of the freeway standing still :eek: :eek:

·
Registered
387 Posts
I brought this topic up "back in the old days" and discuseed that I had been over 120 in my MDX and noticed I still had room to go. Someone replied that it would do 135 (they yhad done it on the flats in the desert).

Governor, I don't got no stinkin' governor! Really, I have never kicked in the governor (spelling?) and really don't think I have one as I have been well ov er 120 MPH. I recall that my highest was 125-127 but it's been a while..

·
Registered
20 Posts
don't ask! :3:

I just finished defensive driving last night at 11:45.

I've had an Integra, have a TL and an MDX and a very heavy foot. I was really hoping that my MDX would NOT perform well at speeds. But, like all Acura's it does. In fact, I think it handles better than my TL.

Integra 134 :5:
TL 120
MDX 115

Unfortunately, it handles so well, my typical, non-congested, highway speed is probably 90. But, then I remember that I only get 12mpg at that speed and try to drop it back down.

ughh!

21 - 29 of 29 Posts