Acura MDX SUV Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have just Zaino'd my brand spankin new MDX. I did Dawn, Z18 Claybar, Z7, Z1, Z5, Z6. Then, a day later, I did Z7, Z2, Z6. I read the many posts here about how to Zaino, and a recurring warning was "Don't use too much!". Well, I'm afraid I didn't use enough Z1, Z5, and Z2.

It shines, but I think it could shine more. Also, the water beads look different on the MDX than on my Maxima (which was done with Turtle Wax before I was enlightened to Zaino). The beads on the Maxima are much larger, like maybe 2" in diameter. The beads on the MDX are smaller, like maybe 1/4" in diameter.

Did I do it right? If not, do I need to go back and redo the Z1? Or maybe I should just order ZFX and put on another coat or two when that comes in. Advice anyone?

Thanks,
Eric

·
Registered
206 Posts
I am not the Zaino expert here. You hopefully dont need Z5 on a brand new MDX, as its supposed to remove swirl marks, which is hopefully not on a brand new MDX. Just used the Z2 instead. Ive been following the advice of Zaino and Worm on using 100% cotton towels from Fieldcrest and watching out for the stiching to avoid scratches. I also wash the car myself (well, my son really does most of the washing) rather than going to the car wash.

I use the ZFX on mine instead of the Z1. I only put 2 coats on mine (Z2, Z6, Z2, Z6) I get little beads of water like you do, instead of large ones, and its been 2 months since I used the Zaino (but I do use the Z6 after washing the car). I think the key is that the water is beading.

As far as the shine, Im not sure what color your car is. Mine is the Granite Green, and it shines pretty good. I wasnt sure if I was putting on enough of the stuff, but I believe people have said about 1 oz of Z2 per coat, even 3 coats with about 2 oz.

Again, Ive only applied Zaino once, so the experts will hopefully respond with any corrections to what I said.

·
Registered
715 Posts
ericp, no, it looks like you done good. Zaino beads are typically small in size, a good way to tell if you still have enuff stuff on. But how much is "not enough?"

A rule of thumb is about 1 oz per first application, about .75 oz with subsequent ones.

The fact that you did a Z7 the very next day suggests that you had to wash the X prior to applying another coat of Z2. You may want to consider ZFX, which allows you to apply several coats in an afternoon, without having to wash your X between applications, but if you have the time, you can do just fine with what you got.

Keep doin' what you are doin'....you'll be fine!

;)

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the warm fuzzy, octavian. I Z7'ed the next day because I was waiting Zaino's recommended 6-24 hours between coats. Around here this time of year, vehicles get coated with pollen in about 2 hours. :( Yeah, I should probably get some ZFX and save some time.

I'll say that Zaino's Z6 claim of repelling dust is true, though. The MDX with Z6 had MUCH less pollen than the Maxima in the same amount of time.

Ifeldman, I have black, which may explain the Z5 just a little. I instructed the dealer not to even wash the MDX so that I could do the detailing myself. I didn't notice any swirls, so Z5 was probably not the best choice. Z5 may come in handy with black, though.

Maybe on the next coat I'll measure out an oz before I start. That way I'll be sure to have about the right amount. Is that what other Zaino users typically do?

Thanks again.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Zaino on other stuff

A little off topic, however it is related to Zaino.

Has anyone ever used Z2 on wrougth iron patio furniture? I was told when I purchased the patio furniture to treat to help withstand the elements. They did not specify an exact product, so I thought Z2 might work.

Thoughts anyone?

Thanks

·
Registered
3,761 Posts
ericp,

Like octavian said, the beading is pretty small/tight with the zaino. If it were sheeting instead of beading, that'd be a problem.

I use only z5 on both of my black cars -- like the shine better than z2 + you get the swirl-hiding properties to boot.

The crazy Zaino shine usually doesn't manifest itself til coat 3 or 4 (assuming you've z6'd in between coats). Up until then, it just looks like a decent wax. Keep at it.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts