Acura MDX SUV Forums banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
2,186 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am very surprised that this is not possible for 2nd Gen MDX. Am I correct?

It seems a horrible idea to force people to buy whole arms with BJ and bushings. OEM is stupid expensive and aftermarket ones are not great. Is it possible to use other cars parts here?

Sent from my SM-G981U1 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
476 Posts
I am very surprised that this is not possible for 2nd Gen MDX. Am I correct?

It seems a horrible idea to force people to buy whole arms with BJ and bushings. OEM is stupid expensive and aftermarket ones are not great. Is it possible to use other cars parts here?

You are correct, the ball joint is not available separate from the LCA. I believe there is a Chinese company called Febest at Amazon that sells individual parts for the LCA. They do offer the BJ as a piece for our MDX.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2,186 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
You are correct, the ball joint is not available separate from the LCA. I believe there is a Chinese company called Febest at Amazon that sells individual parts for the LCA. They do offer the BJ as a piece for our MDX.

That's great! Thanks for the information. I think we can make bushings ourselves. But ball joint is not possible. Anyone has tried the Febest BJ? If just doing the BJ, alignment is not needed, right?

·
Registered
476 Posts
That's great! Thanks for the information. I think we can make bushings ourselves. But ball joint is not possible. Anyone has tried the Febest BJ? If just doing the BJ, alignment is not needed, right?

It depends, I have seen some BJ with offset for camber adjust. This Febest is not offset. If you don’t remove the LCA for replacing this BJ, aligning would not be needed.

“Ball Joint Front Lower Arm Febest 0320-PL Oem 51360-SZA-A04”. From Amazon.

Ball Joint Front Lower Arm Febest 0320-PL Oem 51360-SZA-A04 https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00HAPAQQQ/ref=cm_sw_r_sms_api_glt_fabc_VG089V3YBQP06X68Z4TS

·
Registered
2,186 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
What is special about this ball joint that Acura won't sell the OEM ball joint and even decent aftermarket manufacturers do not make them? $45 for a BJ is actually not cheap. For similar level of parts, maybe even better, MevoTech sells a complete arm with all BJ and bushings for $90.

·
Registered
1,346 Posts
What is special about this ball joint that Acura won't sell the OEM ball joint and even decent aftermarket manufacturers do not make them? $45 for a BJ is actually not cheap. For similar level of parts, maybe even better, MevoTech sells a complete arm with all BJ and bushings for $90.
I believe the ball joint and lower arms in the MDX are in such a way that once the parts are separated, the structural integrity of the arm diminishes. on The 4G TL, you are supposed to replace certain parts after the ball joint has been removed more than 1 time as it will not grip the joint properly and lead to failure.

Sucks for us with the ADS suspension as we have the stupid ride height sensors to deal with.

·
Registered
2,186 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
That's not a good excuse. Some Toyota and Honda use three bolts to attach BJ (small) assembly to arm. Very easy. This is just unfriendly design.

·
Registered
476 Posts
Let’s remember our LCA is aluminum alloy, not the common steel casting. I am only familiar with my MDX and my BMW with aluminum alloy LCA and in both cases the BJ is integrated to the LCA. All other cars I have had with separate BJ were steel casting LCA.

·
Registered
2,186 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks! Didn't realize these are aluminum.

·
Registered
1,346 Posts
with my 760, I bought new bushings for front control arms and the aluminum arms were no longer round but oval after 20K miles! Left everything apart and ordered new arms for the front from FCP euro with lifetime warranty and never looked back.

·
Registered
2,186 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Dorman is famous for bad parts. I won't bet on it. For aftermarket parts, I had good experience with Beck Arnley.

·
Registered
1,346 Posts
Dorman is famous for bad parts. I won't bet on it. For aftermarket parts, I had good experience with Beck Arnley.

^agree many parts are of terrible quality from them. One member here went through 3 drive-shafts for SH-AWD MDX and they all vibrated.

·
Registered
96 Posts
Acura did the same thing for my RSX, only selling whole assemblies for 3x the price when all I needed was a ball joint.

My local Honda-mechanic told me Acura does that often, and got an exact match to my RSX by sourcing a Civic OEM balljoint. Not sure what his reference was but he assured me the balljoint was identical, and it worked fine. Look for a local independent honda mechanic, they may be able to find that a Pilot or Odyssey balljoint that matches the MDX.

·
Registered
2,186 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Acura did the same thing for my RSX, only selling whole assemblies for 3x the price when all I needed was a ball joint.

My local Honda-mechanic told me Acura does that often, and got an exact match to my RSX by sourcing a Civic OEM balljoint. Not sure what his reference was but he assured me the balljoint was identical, and it worked fine. Look for a local independent honda mechanic, they may be able to find that a Pilot or Odyssey balljoint that matches the MDX.
You said exactly what I want to hear! It is just a BJ from Honda parts bin. What are the model year of Pilot and Odyssey that map to 2nd gen MDX?

·
Registered
2,186 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
For pilot, it should be from 09-15. Odyssey should be 11-17. I bet it's better to use parts from Pilot. I just checked out Rock Auto, a single ball joint from Moog is $74. That's not very helpful.

·
Registered
234 Posts
^agree many parts are of terrible quality from them. One member here went through 3 drive-shafts for SH-AWD MDX and they all vibrated.
Speaking of drive shafts, my front left NAPA brand drive shaft is still holding up pretty good thus far after 15k miles. And I just replaced the front right with the NAPA brand as well.

·
Registered
1,129 Posts
Speaking of drive shafts, my front left NAPA brand drive shaft is still holding up pretty good thus far after 15k miles. And I just replaced the front right with the NAPA brand as well.

you replaced CV axle not a drive shaft.

·
Registered
17 Posts
This is very, very common practice with German vehicles. When a BJ on my Audi A6 needed replacing, the recommended service was to do all four half-shafts at the same time $$$.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts